R-73, R-77, R-27 and other Russian (AOA) Air-to- Air Missiles-(Details and Discussions)

Do you like Russian missiles?

• Да! i am a big fan of Russian Missiles!

• No I am not a fan of Russian air to air missiles.

• I don't what to say here:

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
In this thread we Shall Discuss all about the various types of Russian Air to air Missiles. Examples of Russian Air to air Missiles are R-77 adder, R-73 Archer ,R-37 Missile etc. We shall discuss all the technical and other details of these Russian Air to air Missiles and Explore Them in more detail.
Vympel-R-77-maks2009.jpg

(Picture of an R-77-Above)
r27tr27er.jpg

(Picture of an R-27-above)
k73-2.jpg

(Picture of an R-73-Above)
000-R-37-Arrow-2S-1.jpg

(Picture of an R-37-Above)

Super Flanker

Country flag
I have a question. What Material is used in making missiles like R-77, R-73, R-27? Metal? Steel? What grade and is such exact Material Available in India?

Also what are these red things covering parts of these Missiles called?
IMG_20220110_100013.jpg
m02018011500010.jpg

armyofhind

Country flag
I have a question. What Material is used in making missiles like R-77, R-73, R-27? Metal? Steel? What grade and is such exact Material Available in India?

Also what are these red things covering parts of these Missiles called?View attachment 130844View attachment 130845
Air to air missiles are made out of various stainless steel grades, aluminium and titanium alloys for the rocket motors etc.

The red things are just covers, to protect the moving parts and sensors.

Whitecollar

Country flag

Also what are these red things covering parts of these Missiles called?View attachment 130844View attachment 130845
Those "red things" are probably weatherproof covers to protect important parts like Radome, retractable frontal fins and lateral fins. Radome isn't metallic but has quartz composite. Both fins have retractable surfaces and lateral ones have rotational surfaces.
Missiles are usually stored for a long time in peace duty time...and you don't wanna damage frontal cone or want to get sand, dust, micro particles, snow, etc get inside fin gaps causing them to jam/fail to retract when you need them urgently.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Air to air missiles are made out of various stainless steel grades, aluminium and titanium alloys for the rocket motors etc.

The red things are just covers, to protect the moving parts and sensors.
Those "red things" are probably weatherproof covers to protect important parts like Radome, retractable frontal fins and lateral fins. Radome isn't metallic but has quartz composite. Both fins have retractable surfaces and lateral ones have rotational surfaces.
Missiles are usually stored for a long time in peace duty time...and you don't wanna damage frontal cone or want to get sand, dust, micro particles, snow, etc get inside it causing them to jam when you need them urgently.
I just realised that these red things are indeed things which are used to protect important parts of a Missile such as the Fins, the frontal come, and other important surface Controls so as to increase their shelf life. And these red things are called 'Blankings'. I believe that recently last year an Indian Company (I think so it was a private sector) was given a contract to supply Indigenous Blankings for Indian Airforce's Missiles like R-77, R-73 etc. I wonder what these missile Blankings themselves are made of though. Anyways there is pretty much zero information with regards to this on the internet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
India-Vympel-R-73E-All-about-Russias-air-to-air-missile-IAF-is-buying-for-Sukhoi-Su-30-MKIs-De...jpg

IMG_20211226_185453.png

m02018011500010.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
MKI-04.jpg

This here is an R-73 Air to Air Missile Training round which can be identified by the lack of fins and the black stripes painted around the missile body. Anyways now india will be replacing these Russian R-73 Missiles with newer MBDA ASRAAM Missiles.

Whitecollar

Country flag
I just realised that these red things are indeed things which are used to protect important parts of a Missile such as the Fins, the frontal come, and other important surface Controls so as to increase their shelf life. And these red things are called 'Blankings'. I believe that recently last year an Indian Company (I think so it was a private sector) was given a contract to supply Indigenous Blankings for Indian Airforce's Missiles like R-77, R-73 etc. I wonder what these missile Blankings themselves are made of though. Anyways there is pretty much zero information with regards to this on the internet.
View attachment 130903
View attachment 130904
View attachment 130905
Though I don't know what they're made up of, I know one fact for sure. IAF needs 40-50 nos of those pesky 300 km range R-37 AWACS killers. You see, if at all a two front war breaks, China will be heavily reliant on their AWACS whereas Pak will make use of atleast 2 Erieye. In such scenario, a penetrator IAF Sukhoi group may target enemy AWACS and fire away from deep inside our own territory.

Now we know that Astra SFDR is under development, but buying few R-37s will never hurt looking at IAF already given orders for RVV-SD.

The best thing about this missile is that: if fired from close to Rmax, AWACS won't be able to detect it until it's too late. Once the enemy is blinded, they will have to use their onboard radars making them highly detectable.

Whitecollar

Country flag
View attachment 130906
This here is an R-73 Air to Air Missile Training round which can be identified by the lack of fins and the black stripes painted around the missile body. Anyways now india will be replacing these Russian R-73 Missiles with newer MBDA ASRAAM Missiles.
R-73s won't be replaced anytime soon. We already have quite a lot of R-73s in our arsenal as it's primary WVR for Su 30, Mig 29 and Mig 21. Even if Astra IR gets validated, you will still see R-73s being used by IAF.

Super Flanker

Country flag
R-73s won't be replaced anytime soon. We already have quite a lot of R-73s in our arsenal as it's primary WVR for Su 30, Mig 29 and Mig 21. Even if Astra IR gets validated, you will still see R-73s being used by IAF.
Yes I guess but gradually when These missiles will be phased out , they will be replaced with MBDA ASRAAM Missiles. Anyways R-73 did manage to shoot down an F16. Anyways R-73 will be in use with IAF for quite some time, maybe for more 5+ years Indian Airforce will keep using it. I wonder if we can licence produce these Missiles in India with TOT from The Russians but I don't think so that will happen because we will be buying MBDA ASRAAM Missiles.
ecziqkn2-900.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I don't know what they're made up of, I know one fact for sure. IAF needs 40-50 nos of those pesky 300 km range R-37 AWACS killers. You see, if at all a two front war breaks, China will be heavily reliant on their AWACS whereas Pak will make use of atleast 2 Erieye. In such scenario, a penetrator IAF Sukhoi group may target enemy AWACS and fire away from deep inside our own territory.

Now we know that Astra SFDR is under development, but buying few R-37s will never hurt looking at IAF already given orders for RVV-SD.

The best thing about this missile is that: if fired from close to Rmax, AWACS won't be able to detect it until it's too late. Once the enemy is blinded, they will have to use their onboard radars making them highly detectable.
I don't think so that 40-50 will be enough, a more better number would be 100 at most. Indian Airforce could buy around 100 of these R-37 Missiles and Mount them on SU-30 MKI.

Also not just AWACS ,but R-37 can be used against High RCS targets like AWACS, Tankers , Transport Aircrafts also. I believe we have Novator Missile for it but it's unlikely that it's in Service with India. I feel like it's just a myth and nothing else (I doubt we have this missile in our inventory). But R-37 Missile will be excellent to be used against Porki and Chinese AWACS.
article_5f7c6ac55e7d53_52148174-2.jpeg

Super Flanker

Country flag
400px-RVV_mods.svg.png

The following are some R-77 variants:

R-77 (RVV-AE) (izdeliye 190) this is a variant of
the R-77 which is Specifically configured for Export Customers. It has a maximum range of 75+ kilometres and has a 22.5 kg warhead.
-
R-77PD (RVV-PD)
-
RVV-ZRK
-
K-77M (izdeliye 180)
-
K-77ME (izdeliye 180-BD) – Ramjet model of the K-77M. It's basically a Russian Meteor type missile ,like how Astra Mk3 of India will be a Desi meteor like that this will be a Russian Meteor kind of Missile.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Folks
As we are developing sfdr tech in cooperation with Russia
We named it Astra mk3
But what's their name
What do you mean by 'Whats their name'? Who does their refer to here? The Russians?
Astra Mk3 will be based on the SFDR tech which India is developing jointly with Russia for both AAM and S2A Missile systems. It will have a range of 250+ kilometres reportedly.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What do you mean by 'Whats their name'? Who does their refere to here? The Russians?
Astra Mk3 will be based on the SFDR tech which India is developing jointly with Russia for both AAM and S2A Missile systems. It will have a range of 250+ kilometres reportedly.
I meant what's the name of Russian missile based on sfdr tech cooperation

Super Flanker

Country flag
I meant what's the name of Russian missile based on sfdr tech cooperation
I am not sure about it actually, but I know that the Technology of the Astra Mk3 will be Based on Technology which India is developing jointly with Russia for both AAM and S2A Missile systems. I don't know more after this.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

Actually, anti awacs can be mostly covered with s400,unless they get knocked out early

space marine

Country flag
I am not sure about it actually, but I know that the Technology of the Astra Mk3 will be Based on Technology which India is developing jointly with Russia for both AAM and S2A Missile systems. I don't know more after this.
From where did u get this??
India and Russia dont have any JV on this front Astra SFDR will be India alone development if ever it goes into production

Super Flanker

Country flag
From where did u get this??
India and Russia dont have any JV on this front Astra SFDR will be India alone development if ever it goes into production
I will provide the source a bit later. There are multiple sources which are saying that india is in a joint venture with the Russians for the Development of SFDR(Astra Mk3).

Tuco

Country flag
I will provide the source a bit later. There are multiple sources which are saying that india is in a joint venture with the Russians for the Development of SFDR(Astra Mk3).
Yup it was said earlier, nowadays no one mentions it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles