Quick Reaction Missile to be developed by BDL and DRDO

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
I am very much happy with these news. Range is 30 km akash missile with upgraded is 35 km. Barack 8 missile range is 70 km and upgraded in 150 km. Indian missile range is improving. What is range of XR SAM. I heard is 250 km.
MRSAM is ER version of barak 8

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
QRSAM system is having the same range as Akash, is more mobile and fast as well. Hence can this work in area defence too and thus replace Akash? So why do we require both the kind of missiles? What is the minimum range of these missiles? Can any expert give me a side-by-side comparison?

IndianHawk

Country flag
QRSAM system is having the same range as Akash, is more mobile and fast as well. Hence can this work in area defence too and thus replace Akash? So why do we require both the kind of missiles? What is the minimum range of these missiles? Can any expert give me a side-by-side comparison?
Theoretically yes. But practically it is some time away from induction and since it's designed for mobility it may turn out costly than akash.

Also akash range is increasing with 1s and Ng versions. While qrsam can't be much bigger due to necessary light weight requirement for mobility.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
I think akash is different missile, it's size shows it's assurance in getting job done.

charlie

Country flag
1.The main difference in QR sam is it has different command and control then Akash which reduces reaction time.
2. I think the resupply vehicle should take less time to reload the missile then Akash resupply vehicle.
3.Time to deploy the missile should be much faster then Akash.
4. Akash has early warning like CAR which the QR Sam is not required, normally the radar itself should be integrated in CCU unit.
5. Akash Can be deployed in an larger area as it’s it can work in group mode in advertisements it’s say 2000 square km.
i am using phone to write, so I will write later if I get time.

Last edited:

vishnugupt

Country flag
India has invested heavily on Akash missile and it is also a reliable, cheap missile for point defence where assets are static like the bridges, dam, military installations well within Indian territory. but Akash is costly in maintenance and old concept so new variants gradually replace older missile.
QR-SAM is a stat of art missile, more costly but maintenance-friendly with the same range better suits in the war theatre/ hostile area or with moving assets
QRSAM can manoeuvre very early on lunch so can shoot its target at a minimum distance

WolfPack86

Country flag
QRSAM, was test-fired at 11.05 AM, (today) from a mobile truck-based launch unit at complex 3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near here, DRDO sources said. (ET)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Difference is in mode of operation and deployment.

Akash is more of a area defence system and is deployed around strategic targets like airfield. IAF is the primary user of Akash.

QRSAM on other hand is a point defence system and it would be a part of mechanized or even infantry division. It would be part of a division on move and hence needs to be fired on move literally. Thus came the name QRSAM.

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
I thank all those who gave me an insight of the differences between Akash & QRSAM. But my simple question is why can't QRSAM replace akash as a area or strategic field defence system? Why should there be different parallel lines of development - Akash 2, Akash NG & QRSAM? Or is it that the minimum range of QRSAM is smaller than akash or akash has more chasing capacity than QRSAM?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
I thank all those who gave me an insight of the differences between Akash & QRSAM. But my simple question is why can't QRSAM replace akash as a area or strategic field defence system? Why should there be different parallel lines of development - Akash 2, Akash NG & QRSAM? Or is it that the minimum range of QRSAM is smaller than akash or akash has more chasing capacity than QRSAM?
Akash is a ramjet(read somewhere) QR SAM is not, rest you can yourself judge.

Chinmoy

Country flag
It could. But Akash can't replace QRSAM. So you do need different system for different purpose and occassion.

Hathcock once used a M2 as sniper rifle, but it doesn't mean that M2 should be interchangeably used with M24.

Moreover the tracking and targetting of both missiles makes them suitable for respective role.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles