Provisions of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA)

Hindustani78

Washington:, May 25, 2018 14:10 IST
Updated: May 25, 2018 14:10 IST

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has urged the Congress to provide the necessary waiver so that its sanctions on Russia under CAATSA does not impact countries for which it is not intended for.

Provisions of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) threaten Pakistan and several other close friends and allies of the Russian Federation with sanctions.

CAATSA is a U.S. federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, China and Russia. It includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defence and intelligence sectors.

Pakistan is planning to purchase five S-400 Triumf air defence systems for around $4.5 billion from Russia, which U.S. officials say could be considered as a significant military purchase.

“Will you make a commitment that you’ll help [Defence] Secretary [Jim] Mattis get the waivers that he needs in order to make sure that these sanctions don’t hit folks that were not intended to be harmed by these sanctions?” Pompeo asked Senator Robert Menendez, Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during a Congressional hearing on Thursday.

Mr. Pompeo was referring to the letter written by Mr. Mattis to the Congress in which he has sought waiver for certain countries from CAATSA legislation, which was signed into law by the U.S. President Donald Trump in August 2017.

Under this any significant purchase of military equipment from Russia would attract American sanctions.

Mr. Mattis recently wrote a letter to the Congress seeking waiver for certain provisions.

“I know it’s not my day to ask questions, but it is my day to ask for things that I think we need,” Mr. Pompeo said.

Mr. Menendez, a strong advocate of CAATSA sanctions, urged Mr. Pompeo to go ahead with the sanctions. He remained non-committal to waiver move.

“I have to see the specifics of what Secretary Mattis wants,” said the Democratic Senator from New Jersey.

“I also have to say, if we’re going to allow countries that are sanctioned, because we believe in the sanctions policy, and they want to get off the hook because there’s some other benefit, well then we begin to erode the sanction policies and we pick and choose. And other countries will seek the same questions. I’m open to listen to it. But it has to follow, in essence, what our policy is trying to achieve,” Mr. Menendez added.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Attempts being made in US to secure waiver powers to white house. they are currently no waiver provisions.

Kalki_2018

Country flag
I hope there are no waivers. India needs to simply tell these mofos to fuck off. They have lost in Syria and soon will be irrelevant in afghanistan.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
I hope there are no waivers. India needs to simply tell these mofos to fuck off. They have lost in Syria and soon will be irrelevant in afghanistan.
yep why should india comply with other countries laws. we should stop importing every thing from usa and start widening options in EU,russia there are lots of options available than usa but our babaus dont understand....

Indrajit

Country flag
yep why should india comply with other countries laws. we should stop importing every thing from usa and start widening options in EU,russia there are lots of options available than usa but our babaus dont understand....
The trade between the US and India is skewed in our favour. Doing what you say runs the risk of the US doing exactly the same thing, i.e. stop importing from India. Makes zero sense, we must safeguard our interests but part of that is safeguarding our economic interests. We must do what we have to do without damaging our interests with the US.

Haldiram

Country flag
Attempts being made in US to secure waiver powers to white house. they are currently no waiver provisions.

This just shows that none of their laws have any meaning, nor should we give them any meaning. Negotiate everything on a case by case basis. When they want to make a waiver, they make an amendment to the law. When they don't, they say that "well..the law doesn't allow us to send David Headley to India".

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This just shows that none of their laws have any meaning, nor should we give them any meaning. They negotiate everything on a case by case basis. When they want to make a waiver, they make an amendment to the law. When they don't, they say that "well..the law doesn't allow us to send David Headley to India".
American foreign policy was always in a mess wrt India, it’s just that our brown sepoys did not allow us to realise that earlier.

We have to thank Internet and SM for making us independent of brown sepoys.

Even now many in our country feel about americans is some super duper intellectual chaps working in WH or congress, the more accurate word to describe them would be “hustler”.

Flame Thrower

I feel that some of you don't understand diplomacy. Making America to amend their laws for us doesn't mean neither they nor us are week, but they want us more. This might come with a price say, no more oil from Iran(I could be wrong too).

India has patiently waited till CAASTA is sorted. Aim of India was to buy S-400, not to pick a fight with America. If one understand the difference, then they would not bitch about waiting for CAASTA.

Yes, Indian priorites are far more important than anything else. But that doesn't mean to pick fight with everyone you meet on the street.

Some of you advocating about following other countries laws, why don't you think this way "Indian authorities confirmed their american counterpart that they're going to by S-400, but will give enough time to American govt to bring exceptions in CAASTA, thus both winning. After all no one wants to open another front especially if they're in thick fight with China on Trade war."

Thus I rest my case.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Ultimatums can work only on tiny nations like panama or poland or something, not for big ones like india, russia, china. Better for the US to realize this.

I don't think we re ever going to stop oil from iran or weapons from Russia just because US feels uneasy, that's not gonna happen.

After Iraq, Iran is the largest supplier of crude to India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Ultimatums can work only on tiny nations like panama or poland or something, not for big ones like india, russia, china. Better for the US to realize this.

I don't think we re ever going to stop oil from iran or weapons from Russia just because US feels uneasy, that's not gonna happen.

We have to consider the fact that most of these ultimatums come because there is very little understanding about India within US policy makers.

And as I keep saying our brown sepoys do very little to help the situation.

Gerlat

Country flag
The trade between the US and India is skewed in our favour. Doing what you say runs the risk of the US doing exactly the same thing, i.e. stop importing from India. Makes zero sense, we must safeguard our interests but part of that is safeguarding our economic interests. We must do what we have to do without damaging our interests with the US.
Comparing economic and military topic is not good for human race currently. Thanks to globalisation, US selling their products through other countries and one of the main reason why Chinese having trade advanced. US software industry also need India to balance Chinese.
Also caata is for military purpose, trade and economy not related to it.

Gerlat

Country flag
I feel that some of you don't understand diplomacy. Making America to amend their laws for us doesn't mean neither they nor us are week, but they want us more. This might come with a price say, no more oil from Iran(I could be wrong too).

India has patiently waited till CAASTA is sorted. Aim of India was to buy S-400, not to pick a fight with America. If one understand the difference, then they would not bitch about waiting for CAASTA.

Yes, Indian priorites are far more important than anything else. But that doesn't mean to pick fight with everyone you meet on the street.

Some of you advocating about following other countries laws, why don't you think this way "Indian authorities confirmed their american counterpart that they're going to by S-400, but will give enough time to American govt to bring exceptions in CAASTA, thus both winning. After all no one wants to open another front especially if they're in thick fight with China on Trade war."

Thus I rest my case.
If you only consider caatsa- both usa and indian what to avoid it, since s400 costs 5.5b $, and India buys US equipment above that values, then usa automatically grant a waiver with conditions. Also f35 or other sensitive , next gen technologies not available as long as s400 active/reserved conditions. Yes, you are right, US need India more than India needs US and US need India for both economic and military needs.

Gerlat

Country flag
We have to consider the fact that most of these ultimatums come because there is very little understanding about India within US policy makers.

And as I keep saying our brown sepoys do very little to help the situation.
Why they need consider Indian ? They don't even consider Americans. They only consider themselves like a super power. Right now they wanted to Focus more on future threats than old ones, by reducing old threats. Now the need Indians support. They only care about themselves, capitalists.

Gerlat

Country flag

There's not a ultimatum, but a waiver, which is not easy to achieve. Buying f18sh for navy may help.

Gerlat

Country flag
India must insure that US put CAATSA sanctions on India
India must free itself from US grasp
India needs US/Chinese for building its economy. It's not upto us but to them to find a solution for their caatsa. It's USA is to change, not ours or others. Americans need to change their mindsets, other wise Chinese supress usa before they knew it. India give same importance to Chinese, eu, usa - none of them were friends or ally, but good for economic development and technology support. Also relationship between usa and indian is not in a good condition- usa totally have no idea to solve problems created by them[economic/military].
Buying 36 f18sh may solve this problem, but why ? They never allow to use their weapons against Pakistan and need permission in the case of Chinese.
Sanction is not good becz we depend on USA engine for LCA, mk2, AMCA, p17a etc and become impossible to export.

WARREN SS

Country flag
India needs US/Chinese for building its economy. It's not upto us but to them to find a solution for their caatsa. It's USA is to change, not ours or others. Americans need to change their mindsets, other wise Chinese supress usa before they knew it. India give same importance to Chinese, eu, usa - none of them were friends or ally, but good for economic development and technology support. Also relationship between usa and indian is not in a good condition- usa totally have no idea to solve problems created by them[economic/military].
Buying 36 f18sh may solve this problem, but why ? They never allow to use their weapons against Pakistan and need permission in the case of Chinese.
Sanction is not good becz we depend on USA engine for LCA, mk2, AMCA, p17a etc and become impossible to export.
Well USA is more serious threat to India than China

Chinese may have some hegemonic design for there territory

But USA want complete destruction of dhramic culture and india as you know it.

And want Abrahamization of bharat.

We should keep US arms length and
Deal with them mutual interest.

Yes we will suffer for short due to this but in long terms indian will have its own Geopolitical standing like it was in ancient era

Ra8ul

Country flag
Well USA is more serious threat to India than China

Chinese may have some hegemonic design for there territory

But USA want complete destruction of dhramic culture and india as you know it.

And want Abrahamization of bharat.

We should keep US arms length and
Deal with them mutual interest.

Yes we will suffer for short due to this but in long terms indian will have its own Geopolitical standing like it was in ancient era
Your analysis is to the point but OIC not speaking against Uygur Muslims looks like Islamic countries are hand in hand with China. Combined force of Islam and China we need USA and Russia on our side best way for that is we buy crude from them and increase our trade and manufacture our own weapons. We buy crude and LNG and they buy our our exports is a good deal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles