Prophet's picture in UP book raises storm

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Prophet's picture in UP book raises storm
TNN 29 July 2009, 01:04am IST

ALLAHABAD: A book titled, 'Udayimaan Bhartiya Samaj Mein Shikshak' (Teachers in Emerging India), has raised hackles of Uttar Pradesh's political
class as well as Muslims for carrying a picture of Prophet Mohammed. Islam doesn't permit publication of pictures or portrait the Prophet.

The picture is on page 403 of chapter 'Manav Uthaan ke Liye Vibhinn Dharmo ka Yogdaan' (Contribution of Various Religions In Uplift Of Mankind) of the book written by Yuvraj Dutt, a former faculty member at a post-graduate college in Lakhimpur Kheri.

Dutt told TOI that the Prophet’s picture was freely available on the internet and was downloaded from there. Incidentally, the picture was added in the third edition of the book in 2009.

Responding to a question whether the book was meant for BEd course, UP higher education director Miya Jaan said: ‘‘The book has never recommended as a textbook. Moreover, district authorities have already banned its sale and publication.’’ Such books, he said, can never be recommended as textbooks.

‘‘Besides, registrars of various universities have told me that the book never formed part of the BEd syllabus in their universities,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, former state minister and senior SP leader Ujjawal Raman Singh expressed dismay. He said SP workers would take to the streets and also raise the issue in the Assembly if the photograph was not removed.

Prophet's picture in UP book raises storm - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Big deal. At the lery least, these fanatics should look at the intention of the writer and the context of the lesson before lashing out against the depiction of Mohammad.

PS: Btw, why is it prohibited to display a picture of the prophet Mohammad anyway?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Btw, why is it prohibited to display a picture of the prophet Mohammad anyway?
During the time of prophet Muhammed , pictures were prohibated be it of humans or animals and People before Islam , created the pictures and idols of the people and started to worship them instead of the one GOD .

if there would be any picture of prophet muhammed then Some followers would have started worshipping him thats why there is no image of prophet muhammed

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
During the time of prophet Muhammed , pictures were prohibated be it of humans or animals and People before Islam , created the pictures and idols of the people and started to worship them instead of the one GOD .

if there would be any picture of prophet muhammed then Some followers would have started worshipping him thats why there is no image of prophet muhammed
Oh. But if someone wants to keep a picture of him in his house, he can do it, right? Even Krishna said in the Bhagvad Gita that the essence of God resides within human beings and not in idols, yet people worship Krishna murtis in temples and homes.

xebex

Oh. But if someone wants to keep a picture of him in his house, he can do it, right? Even Krishna said in the Bhagvad Gita that the essence of God resides within human beings and not in idols, yet people worship Krishna murtis in temples and homes.

In the case of keep a picture of Prophet at home, am sure the Muslim community and religious leaders will crucify them if somebody try to keep a picture of the prophet. BUT according to the constitution of India, nobody can touch them as they have the freedom of religion to do so.

Now, Religion is a very sensitive matter and i believe its a right decision to ban the book before the matter could get out of hand because as we all know...."a stitch in time saves nine".

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador

I have read an alternate version of the reason for the prohibition. It is along the lines that the prophet was perfect and any picture of him can't be perfect and so will be an insult to him.

What is the reality?

johnee

My take on this: its upto muslims. If they feel that having a picture of prophet mohammad is wrong, then others should respect the sentiment. Anyway, the picture was not a necessity. The same book could have been written without the pic.
But at the same time I will also say that sometimes, muslims push it too far. And it comes across as very immature and childish. Here, the intent was not to malign the faith or its prophet, so the controversy was unnecessary and over-blown.

A similar incident:
Briton arrested in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

The intention behind an act also matters and needs to be taken into account before protesting.

I have read an alternate version of the reason for the prohibition. It is along the lines that the prophet was perfect and any picture of him can't be perfect and so will be an insult to him.

What is the reality?
You mean perfect with looks?!? For an image can capture nothing more than looks...

Adux

Country flag

You have no clue how many central asian and Turkish Palaces and Mosque's have Pictures of Mohammed.

peacecracker

when it comes to islam,expect a huge backlash to even smaller incidents which had happened involuntarily though.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Is that person making an imaginary picture like of Jesus , Krishna etc ?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

What is the reality?
i havnt read any thing like this as u r trying to claim . Can u give that alternate version link ?

According to Abrahmic faiths , the only perfect human was Adam .according to Hindus , Lord Rama is perfect , according to buddhists , buddha is perfect . and according to Sikhs , Guru nanak ji is perfect .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
You have no clue how many central asian and Turkish Palaces and Mosque's have Pictures of Mohammed.
Yes i have heard of this but i think you are not aware that after the death of Prophet Muhammed some followers did created his pictures and even worshipping the places were he use to go , which was later destroyed by the 4 Caliphs .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
when it comes to islam,expect a huge backlash to even smaller incidents which had happened involuntarily though.
Its not any small incidents . If there would be pictures of Muhammed , for sure people would have worship him instead of God . Muslims worship God not the messenger .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles