Project-75I class SSK Submarines

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
What about the leak of acoustic signatures and other confidential information in the public domain.thats the only problem
That's why an improved Scorpene version, SMX 3.0 is a contender.
Data leak might be the reason another 3 Scorpene subs were not considered.
A few changes were made to somewhat reduce the effect of data leak on the Scorpene

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
What about the leak of acoustic signatures and other confidential information in the public domain.thats the only problem
It's a cold case. The leaked documents were marketing datas, nothing more.

It was a german black manoeuvre... It didn't affect the mother of all deal, the Australian one. So not an issue, really.

Last edited:

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
That's why an improved Scorpene version, SMX 3.0 is a contender.
Data leak might be the reason another 3 Scorpene subs were not considered.
A few changes were made to somewhat reduce the effect of data leak on the Scorpene
SMX3 is another beast. a bigger sub (3000T when Scorpene is 1700T), with a native AIP. Tailored for P75I, when Scorpene is P75 answer.

You can't compare the two.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
SMX3 is another beast. a bigger sub (3000T when Scorpene is 1700T), with a native AIP. Tailored for P75I, when Scorpene is P75 answer.

You can't compare the two.
Does the SMX 3.0 have VLS cells, because that is one important capability the IN wants in its P75I submarine.

J Praveen

Country flag
Face off between L&T with Russian's Rubin Design Bureau and MDL with French Naval Group

Naval Group, which has manufactured the Scorpene class of submarines in India with MDL, says that the industrially secure way’ would be to have an exclusive arrangement with just one Indian Strategic Partner.

The project is being processed on the Strategic Partnership model that will require the winning Indian company to manufacture six submarines in India. However, given that only two Indian shipyards are shortlisted, they have a choice of multiple foreign collaborators, leading to a potential clash of commercial interests.

“An exclusive arrangement with one SP might give more time to both the Original equipment manufacturer and the SP to prepare a thorough and exhaustive response to the RFP and thus provide Indian Navy with an offer with best possible solutions to all the identified requirements and minimum risks for the program over the long term. Indeed, exclusivity with a shipyard may be best cost effective and industrially secure way of responding to P75(I),” Alain Guillou, Senior Executive Vice President, Naval Group has said.

The senior executive said that the company was in touch with both the Indian companies since the shortlisting. “Like many other OEMs, we are having discussions with both SPs (L&T and MDL), who have been shortlisted rightly by the experienced Indian Navy and the government. MDL remains at core of Indian naval ship and submarine building while L&T is undoubtedly one of the biggest and qualified Indian national industrial for several sectors including strategic naval projects,” he said.

Besides the Naval Group, TKMS (Germany), Navantia (Spain), Rubin Design Bureau (Russia) and DSME (South Korea) have been shortlisted for the mega project. The next stage will be preparation of techno-commercial bids by the Indian companies in collaboration with a foreign partner of their choosing.

There are still doubts however if the foreign players will need to make offers with both Indian yards or can choose to have an exclusive arrangement with just one. “As OEM, we are not in position to comment and we shall follow the process as per SP guidelines. However it is true that the time required and the associated costs to make an offer of such magnitude are very high, sometimes as high as several millions of Euros. In addition to this the confidentiality of data related to the performance and subsequent “Chinese wall” arrangement to deal between partners will cost time, dedications and efforts of all parties involved,” Guillou said.

While technically, all five foreign technology collaborators have an equal chance of forming a winning partnership with the Indian company, the contest is expected to be a straight face off between the French Naval Group and Russia’s Rubin Design Bureau.

If the process goes smoothly, the final winner could be shortlisted within two years after an exhaustive trial and evaluation exercise. However, complications in the future include the ability of foreign collaborators to adhere with Indian conditions for technology transfer, delivery timelines and the responsibility for performance.

WolfPack86

Country flag
After IAF Rafales, MBDA’s Naval SCALP On ‘Super Scorpene’ For India’s Project 75I

European missile house MBDA’s long range Naval Cruise Missile (NCM) will be part of the weapons package tied to the improved Scorpene submarine that’s vying for Project 75I, India’s ambitious plan to build six new generation conventional attack submarines in country. The NCM, a ship/submarine version of the SCALP cruise missile that the Indian Air Force gets with its 36 Rafales, is receiving headline treatment at MBDA’s presence in the DefExpo 2020 show that kicked off today in Lucknow, India.

The contest, which has shortlisted two Indian shipyards and five foreign submarine types, is widely being seen as a straight fight between the Naval Group-MDL Scorpene and Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corp-L&T for the Amur 1650. Livefist visited production facilities for the latter last year for this detailed report on the Russian pitch.

The decision to field the NCM is unsurprising. Russia’s Amur 1650 pitch comes with options for the Kalibr/Club series of land attack cruise missiles. It was therefore expected that in addition to the Scorpene’s Exocet anti-ship missiles, the package needed a deep strike cruise missile capability, now fulfilled with the NCM.

In literature released ahead of Def Expo this year, MBDA said in a statement, ‘This very long-range surface attack stand-off cruise missile is designed to attack deep into enemy territory. Given its range, it will provide navies and surface and sub-surface vessels with the ability to maintain a prolonged dissuasive force in theatre unlike an aircraft launched missile. Drawing on elements of the combat-proven SCALP/Storm Shadow and weighing some 1,400 kg with an overall length of around 6.50m and a diameter of 0.5m, NCM offers destructive power against key infrastructure targets. Maximum precision and minimum collateral damages are assured thanks to the weapon’s guidance system which combines inertial guidance, terrain matching, and GPS with an imaging infrared seeker to achieve metric accuracies in the terminal phase. The missile has already been tested for both surface ship and submarine launch (vertically launched for the former and via the torpedo tubes for the latter with the submarine version housed in a special sea to air transition container). Surface ship operational capability was declared in May 2015 after a series of test firings had been successfully completed.’

The NCM is operational on the French Navy’s FREMM mutipurpose frigates, and will be on its current and future Barracuda-class nuclear submarines. The NCM has also seen combat, with French frigate Aquitane launching an undisclosed number of the weapon system during the 2018 land-attack bombings in Syria alongside air-launched SCALP missiles.

The SCALP air-launched cruise missile, of which the NCM is a derivative, will be in service with the Indian Air Force soon — the first IAF Rafale jets arrive in India in May, with deliveries of the first SCALPS expected to take place any time now.

Separately, it is widely expected that the P75I’s specifications, once further defined, will also formally demand the capability to deploy BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles. Livefist can confirm that BrahMos Corp. has completed discussions previously with all 5 shortlisted submarine vendors on integration of the BrahMos. The submarines shortlisted in P75I are the French Naval Group Scorpene (the baseline submarine built currently in India at Mazagon Docks0, the Russian Rubin Design Bureau Amur 1650, German Thyssenkrupp Type 214, Spanish Navantia S80 and an offering from South Korea’s DSME.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
After IAF Rafales, MBDA’s Naval SCALP On ‘Super Scorpene’ For India’s Project 75I

European missile house MBDA’s long range Naval Cruise Missile (NCM) will be part of the weapons package tied to the improved Scorpene submarine that’s vying for Project 75I, India’s ambitious plan to build six new generation conventional attack submarines in country. The NCM, a ship/submarine version of the SCALP cruise missile that the Indian Air Force gets with its 36 Rafales, is receiving headline treatment at MBDA’s presence in the DefExpo 2020 show that kicked off today in Lucknow, India.

The contest, which has shortlisted two Indian shipyards and five foreign submarine types, is widely being seen as a straight fight between the Naval Group-MDL Scorpene and Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corp-L&T for the Amur 1650. Livefist visited production facilities for the latter last year for this detailed report on the Russian pitch.

The decision to field the NCM is unsurprising. Russia’s Amur 1650 pitch comes with options for the Kalibr/Club series of land attack cruise missiles. It was therefore expected that in addition to the Scorpene’s Exocet anti-ship missiles, the package needed a deep strike cruise missile capability, now fulfilled with the NCM.

In literature released ahead of Def Expo this year, MBDA said in a statement, ‘This very long-range surface attack stand-off cruise missile is designed to attack deep into enemy territory. Given its range, it will provide navies and surface and sub-surface vessels with the ability to maintain a prolonged dissuasive force in theatre unlike an aircraft launched missile. Drawing on elements of the combat-proven SCALP/Storm Shadow and weighing some 1,400 kg with an overall length of around 6.50m and a diameter of 0.5m, NCM offers destructive power against key infrastructure targets. Maximum precision and minimum collateral damages are assured thanks to the weapon’s guidance system which combines inertial guidance, terrain matching, and GPS with an imaging infrared seeker to achieve metric accuracies in the terminal phase. The missile has already been tested for both surface ship and submarine launch (vertically launched for the former and via the torpedo tubes for the latter with the submarine version housed in a special sea to air transition container). Surface ship operational capability was declared in May 2015 after a series of test firings had been successfully completed.’

The NCM is operational on the French Navy’s FREMM mutipurpose frigates, and will be on its current and future Barracuda-class nuclear submarines. The NCM has also seen combat, with French frigate Aquitane launching an undisclosed number of the weapon system during the 2018 land-attack bombings in Syria alongside air-launched SCALP missiles.

The SCALP air-launched cruise missile, of which the NCM is a derivative, will be in service with the Indian Air Force soon — the first IAF Rafale jets arrive in India in May, with deliveries of the first SCALPS expected to take place any time now.

Separately, it is widely expected that the P75I’s specifications, once further defined, will also formally demand the capability to deploy BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles. Livefist can confirm that BrahMos Corp. has completed discussions previously with all 5 shortlisted submarine vendors on integration of the BrahMos. The submarines shortlisted in P75I are the French Naval Group Scorpene (the baseline submarine built currently in India at Mazagon Docks0, the Russian Rubin Design Bureau Amur 1650, German Thyssenkrupp Type 214, Spanish Navantia S80 and an offering from South Korea’s DSME.
The two only contenders able to deliver a ban free naval cruise missile are : France and Russia.
All the others can only propose a foreign missile.
A first class asset for Russia and France.

AmitG

Country flag
Think this one is going to be a toss up between France and Russia. I think it will depend on who is willing to give more towards the Indian SSN program. If the French give their LEU reactor they have this one in the bag. Having said that I think the Germans could have the most silent submarine out there. A derivative of the Type 216 to fit IN requirements maybe.. But the Germans do not have the geopolitical heft of the French or the Russians.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Successful ‘Make in India’ for P75(I) by Navantia
Navantia organised the first Indian Industry online event for the P75(I) submarines programme with the participation of more than 200 Indian companies. 500 RFIs specific to P75(I) were submitted in a period of 6 weeks. Over 90 per cent of the receiving companies were Indian and they cover 80 per cent of the P75(I) submarine cost items.

Navantia is participating in the P75(I) project using the basis of the S80 Plus, the only 3000 tonnes AIP submarine currently under construction worldwide. According to Pablo Martínez de Rituerto, Navantia’s Project Director for P75(I), “this baseline is very close to the requirements of the Indian Navy, possibly the closest among any possible. For this reason, technical effort at this stage is minimum and Navantia is focusing in other aspects such as the indigenisation of major equipment and materials, and Transfer of Technology (ToT) options”.

Due to the COVID-19 lockdown, they organised an online conference on April 21, 2020 with the Indian industry, S80 suppliers, as well as other companies and interested associations. The event was attended by over 200 professionals from more than 150 different companies. At the conference, Navantia informed that they had some areas with no Indian supplier identified, and that they planned the submission of Purchase Technical Specifications. Despite the COV ID-19 situation, Navantia and their Indian partners worked online, which proved to be a very effective solution as it enabled an average of 3-4 meetings per day with significant reductions in travel time and cost savings. With more than 100 side meetings, all the areas with no Indian supplier were covered.

Navantia is fully committed to India’s P75(I) project, and is willing to provide the required ‘Know How’ and ‘Know Why’ through a Technology Transfer programme to achieve permanent design, construction and maintenance capabilities in India
At the industry event, in addition to the presentation on the S80 Plus which included its main features, the construction status, schedule and pictures of the actual construction, Navantia presented their revolutionary AIP system known as BEST “Bio-Ethanol Stealth Technology”, which has been developed together with the Spanish Company Abengoa and the American Collins Aerospace, working under a sub-contract by Navantia. The technical presentation was followed by a presentation on Transfer of Technology and indigenisation possibilities.

S80 Submarine​
Navantia’s experience in ToT programs is quite ample. At present, ToT is successfully being carried-out in three countries, involving local construction of destroyers in Australia, one LHD in Turkey, and the implementation of an indigenous combat system for Navantia corvettes in Saudi Arabia developed by a Joint Venture created between Navantia and SAMI (Saudi Arabia Military Systems). Previously, Navantia was the co-designer and builder of Scorpene class submarines for the Chilean and Malaysian navies, and had also participated in the design and transfer of technology to India’s six Scorpene submarines being built in MDL (Mumbai), deploying a resident team in India between 2006 and 2013.

Navantia already has signed MoUs with L&T and MDL, both shortlisted as Strategic Partners for the P75(I) project in India. Over 200 Purchase Technical Specifications (PTSs) have been submitted in the last few weeks together with nearly 500 Requests for Information (RFIs) submitted in the last 6 weeks, 92 per cent to Indian Companies, enabling Navantia to gain a high understanding of the Indian industry and its capabilities. This information covers 80 per cent of the P75(I) submarine cost items. The indigenisation effort still continues with the target of achieving 500 PTSs and nearly 1500 RFIs within the next 3-4 months. This activity includes the consultation to current S-80P key suppliers, to promote either fabrication in India, or the incorporation of Indian components. Once the COVID-19 situation permits, follow-up face-to-face meeting and visits to potential suppliers shall take place.

This first Industry Event by Navantia was a great success and the company is eager to continue working with India and progress as much as possible in the P75(I) project. Pablo Martinez de Rituerto assures “Navantia is fully committed to India’s P75(I) project, and is willing to provide the required “Know How” and “Know Why” through a Technology Transfer programme to achieve permanent design, construction and maintenance capabilities in India”. This programme leverages previous successful ToT experiences, for example in Australia where in June 2020 the Commonwealth of Australia signed a Strategic Agreement with local company Navantia Australia recognizing it as a Design Authority for four classes of Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ships.

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Successful ‘Make in India’ for P75(I) by Navantia
Navantia organised the first Indian Industry online event for the P75(I) submarines programme with the participation of more than 200 Indian companies. 500 RFIs specific to P75(I) were submitted in a period of 6 weeks. Over 90 per cent of the receiving companies were Indian and they cover 80 per cent of the P75(I) submarine cost items.

Navantia is participating in the P75(I) project using the basis of the S80 Plus, the only 3000 tonnes AIP submarine currently under construction worldwide. According to Pablo Martínez de Rituerto, Navantia’s Project Director for P75(I), “this baseline is very close to the requirements of the Indian Navy, possibly the closest among any possible. For this reason, technical effort at this stage is minimum and Navantia is focusing in other aspects such as the indigenisation of major equipment and materials, and Transfer of Technology (ToT) options”.

Due to the COVID-19 lockdown, they organised an online conference on April 21, 2020 with the Indian industry, S80 suppliers, as well as other companies and interested associations. The event was attended by over 200 professionals from more than 150 different companies. At the conference, Navantia informed that they had some areas with no Indian supplier identified, and that they planned the submission of Purchase Technical Specifications. Despite the COV ID-19 situation, Navantia and their Indian partners worked online, which proved to be a very effective solution as it enabled an average of 3-4 meetings per day with significant reductions in travel time and cost savings. With more than 100 side meetings, all the areas with no Indian supplier were covered.

At the industry event, in addition to the presentation on the S80 Plus which included its main features, the construction status, schedule and pictures of the actual construction, Navantia presented their revolutionary AIP system known as BEST “Bio-Ethanol Stealth Technology”, which has been developed together with the Spanish Company Abengoa and the American Collins Aerospace, working under a sub-contract by Navantia. The technical presentation was followed by a presentation on Transfer of Technology and indigenisation possibilities.

S80 Submarine​
Navantia’s experience in ToT programs is quite ample. At present, ToT is successfully being carried-out in three countries, involving local construction of destroyers in Australia, one LHD in Turkey, and the implementation of an indigenous combat system for Navantia corvettes in Saudi Arabia developed by a Joint Venture created between Navantia and SAMI (Saudi Arabia Military Systems). Previously, Navantia was the co-designer and builder of Scorpene class submarines for the Chilean and Malaysian navies, and had also participated in the design and transfer of technology to India’s six Scorpene submarines being built in MDL (Mumbai), deploying a resident team in India between 2006 and 2013.

Navantia already has signed MoUs with L&T and MDL, both shortlisted as Strategic Partners for the P75(I) project in India. Over 200 Purchase Technical Specifications (PTSs) have been submitted in the last few weeks together with nearly 500 Requests for Information (RFIs) submitted in the last 6 weeks, 92 per cent to Indian Companies, enabling Navantia to gain a high understanding of the Indian industry and its capabilities. This information covers 80 per cent of the P75(I) submarine cost items. The indigenisation effort still continues with the target of achieving 500 PTSs and nearly 1500 RFIs within the next 3-4 months. This activity includes the consultation to current S-80P key suppliers, to promote either fabrication in India, or the incorporation of Indian components. Once the COVID-19 situation permits, follow-up face-to-face meeting and visits to potential suppliers shall take place.

This first Industry Event by Navantia was a great success and the company is eager to continue working with India and progress as much as possible in the P75(I) project. Pablo Martinez de Rituerto assures “Navantia is fully committed to India’s P75(I) project, and is willing to provide the required “Know How” and “Know Why” through a Technology Transfer programme to achieve permanent design, construction and maintenance capabilities in India”. This programme leverages previous successful ToT experiences, for example in Australia where in June 2020 the Commonwealth of Australia signed a Strategic Agreement with local company Navantia Australia recognizing it as a Design Authority for four classes of Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ships.
Navantia proposal is weak , I have to say .

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Why don't they just settle with a follow on Kalvari class and start production of the L&T Coastal Submarine projects (if possible with DRDO AIP)? The ocean going duties can be allotted to the SSN that are being designed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles