Project-75I class SSK Submarines

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
US Subs are nuclear powered, which means no.
The only country that could legally help is France as we use LEU reactors.
India may get US, French cos as partners for building nuclear submarines
Updated: July 14, 2018
https://m.economictimes.com/news/de...g-nuclear-submarines/articleshow/49131287.cms

Sources told ET that senior representatives from the submarine branch of a leading US conglomerate have met key Indian defence ministry officials regarding the project. The efforts included a top level meeting in July. The discussions have been kept low key given the sensitivity of the project and details are not available.

Similarly, French representatives have also approached the Indian side for exploring avenues for cooperation on the project in the past few months. While the French submarine manufacturer has not commented on the project, the Indian side is interested in the new ‘Barracuda’ SSN being developed by French ship builder DCNS. A senior DCNS representative refused to take questions on the matter.

Kay

Country flag
India may get US, French cos as partners for building nuclear submarines
Updated: July 14, 2018
https://m.economictimes.com/news/de...g-nuclear-submarines/articleshow/49131287.cms

Sources told ET that senior representatives from the submarine branch of a leading US conglomerate have met key Indian defence ministry officials regarding the project. The efforts included a top level meeting in July. The discussions have been kept low key given the sensitivity of the project and details are not available.

Similarly, French representatives have also approached the Indian side for exploring avenues for cooperation on the project in the past few months. While the French submarine manufacturer has not commented on the project, the Indian side is interested in the new ‘Barracuda’ SSN being developed by French ship builder DCNS. A senior DCNS representative refused to take questions on the matter.
Project 75i is for conventional subs. But we will get 6 nuclear SSN as well. French submarines use LEU unlike US or Russian subs, which can help in saving costs for uranium enrichment. The Chinese subs also use LEU.

Prashant12

Country flag
Govt initiates process to construct 6 stealth submarines

NEW DELHI: The defence ministry has begun the process to shortlist potential Indian shipyards for the long-pending project to construct six new-generation conventional stealth submarines with foreign collaboration under the “strategic partnership (SP)” model as part of the overall “Make in India” policy.
The submarine project called “Project-75 India (P-75I), dubbed the “mother of all underwater deals” because it will cost at least Rs 50,000 crore, was first approved by the defence ministry in November 2007 but has been languishing in general politico-bureaucratic apathy, files and committees ever since.
The MoD has now issued the “Expression of Interest” (EoI) with technical and financial parameters to potential Indian strategic partners or shipyards, which range from defence PSU Mazagon Docks to private ones like L&T, who have to respond within two months.

The EoI to shortlist the foreign original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), in turn, will be issued in two weeks. Four ship-builders, Naval Group-DCNS (France), ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (Germany), Rosoboronexport Rubin Design Bureau (Russia) and Saab Kockums (Sweden), had earlier responded to the request for information (RFI) issued for P-75I in July 2017.
“The Navy would have the option to get six more submarines manufactured in the dedicated submarine production line to be set up under the project,” said an official. The Navy wants the submarines to have both land-attack cruise missiles as well as air-independent propulsion for greater underwater endurance.

But it will take well over a year for the OEM-Indian shipyard combine to be down-selected for the first six submarines to be produced under the SP model. Once the contract is actually inked, it will take another seven to eight years for the first vessel to actually roll out.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...6-stealth-submarines/articleshow/69879013.cms

IndianHawk

Country flag

NEW DELHI: The defence ministry has begun the process to shortlist potential Indian shipyards for the long-pending project to construct six new-generation conventional stealth submarines with foreign collaboration under the “strategic partnership (SP)” model as part of the overall “Make in India” policy.
The submarine project called “Project-75 India (P-75I), dubbed the “mother of all underwater deals” because it will cost at least Rs 50,000 crore, was first approved by the defence ministry in November 2007 but has been languishing in general politico-bureaucratic apathy, files and committees ever since.
The MoD has now issued the “Expression of Interest” (EoI) with technical and financial parameters to potential Indian strategic partners or shipyards, which range from defence PSU Mazagon Docks to private ones like L&T, who have to respond within two months.

The EoI to shortlist the foreign original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), in turn, will be issued in two weeks. Four ship-builders, Naval Group-DCNS (France), ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (Germany), Rosoboronexport Rubin Design Bureau (Russia) and Saab Kockums (Sweden), had earlier responded to the request for information (RFI) issued for P-75I in July 2017.
“The Navy would have the option to get six more submarines manufactured in the dedicated submarine production line to be set up under the project,” said an official. The Navy wants the submarines to have both land-attack cruise missiles as well as air-independent propulsion for greater underwater endurance.

But it will take well over a year for the OEM-Indian shipyard combine to be down-selected for the first six submarines to be produced under the SP model. Once the contract is actually inked, it will take another seven to eight years for the first vessel to actually roll out.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...6-stealth-submarines/articleshow/69879013.cms
Navy had the same option for Scorpion line. Didn't they? So are we setting two lines for conventional submarines. One with p75 Scorpion and now next with 75i dockyard.

Both will keep churning out submarines parallely in future?

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

uoftotaku

Country flag
Navy had the same option for Scorpion line. Didn't they? So are we setting two lines for conventional submarines. One with p75 Scorpion and now next with 75i dockyard.

Both will keep churning out submarines parallely in future?

That would require actual strategic planning and will..which our MoD has clearly shown no evidence of ever having.

For now there are NO plans for further Scorpenes which means the Mazagaon Docks line will idle and waste away same as the Type 209 line did. For P-75i there is NO clause in the contract to mention any more than the initial 6 hulls. The IN's own "masterplan" for its sub force states a requirement for only 24 vessels. Right now there are on course to hit that number with a combination of P75, P75i, i-SSN & SSBN classes. There is no more room in the fleet planning for further orders of either Scorpene or P75i unless the IN revises its own plans and the Govt makes the funds available (both are big IF's at this point)

Overall this entire charade is in keeping with our MoD's usual scattershot approach to procurement. Waste precious time and resources on creating multiple duplicate chains and then let ALL of them go to waste

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
, it will take another seven to eight years for the first vessel to actually roll out.
The yard work at MDL will be ending in a couple years. If they want to keep the line open they will need to exercise the +3 option of P-75 and once that is complete award P-75I of a similar type. If they don't all of the skills will be lost.

Deathstar

Country flag
The yard work at MDL will be ending in a couple years. If they want to keep the line open they will need to exercise the +3 option of P-75 and once that is complete award P-75I of a similar type. If they don't all of the skills will be lost.
Isnt it better to convert the line into nuke subs

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

The french has 2 assets :
A sub already in the indian arsenal (Scorpene).
A dedicated cruise missile (SCALP NAVAL). All the others are relying on US missiles.

WolfPack86

Country flag
JUST IN: Indian MoD issues expression of interest (EoI) to shortlist Indian strategic partners (SP) for the ₹45,000 crore Project 75-India (P75I) submarine build program. EoI for OEMs to be issues in 2 weeks. Submarine type contenders:

IndianHawk

Country flag
That would require actual strategic planning and will..which our MoD has clearly shown no evidence of ever having.

For now there are NO plans for further Scorpenes which means the Mazagaon Docks line will idle and waste away same as the Type 209 line did. For P-75i there is NO clause in the contract to mention any more than the initial 6 hulls. The IN's own "masterplan" for its sub force states a requirement for only 24 vessels. Right now there are on course to hit that number with a combination of P75, P75i, i-SSN & SSBN classes. There is no more room in the fleet planning for further orders of either Scorpene or P75i unless the IN revises its own plans and the Govt makes the funds available (both are big IF's at this point)

Overall this entire charade is in keeping with our MoD's usual scattershot approach to procurement. Waste precious time and resources on creating multiple duplicate chains and then let ALL of them go to waste
The toi article writes about six optional submarine in 75i.
Also older submarine will retire soon type 209 and kilos too will start retiring by 2030.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The french has 2 assets :
A sub already in the indian arsenal (Scorpene).
A dedicated cruise missile (SCALP NAVAL). All the others are relying on US missiles.
India is developing own naval missile also aip.
And both bramhos and nirbhay will be made submarine launched.

So the primary requirement will be technology transfer. Scorpion are already there I think this will go to Germany .
DXsDpZxXkAAaQqy.jpg
DXsDpZ1WAAA1CVr.jpg

IndianHawk

Country flag
Aip should be completed by 2020. And submarine launched cruise missile by 2022. Even if delayed these systems would be ready before 75i subs are build by 2027.

Immanuel

Country flag
Aip should be completed by 2020. And submarine launched cruise missile by 2022. Even if delayed these systems would be ready before 75i subs are build by 2027.

P-75I subs won't be any where near ready by 2027. KEep in mind EOI has only been sent out now, it will take 3-4 years to sign a deal and another 5 years to get a boat ready.

Waste of time, just order another 6 Scorpenes with AIP and get them build at MDL. Use another line for SSN.

IndianHawk

Country flag
P-75I subs won't be any where near ready by 2027. KEep in mind EOI has only been sent out now, it will take 3-4 years to sign a deal and another 5 years to get a boat ready.

Waste of time, just order another 6 Scorpenes with AIP and get them build at MDL. Use another line for SSN.
Yup . I was going by the article. More Scorpion should defenatively build.

SSN is already separate project. Unlike 75 or 75i that is national strategic projects under direct monitoring from pmo just like SSBN projects.

75i line has nothing to do with it.

The fact that despite Scorpion line navy is going for another sub makes me believe they do want two pipelines with two different sub technologies to keep pumping submarine Simultaneously.

Otherwise 75i doesn't make any sense.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles