Project-75I class SSK Submarines

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
So we're going to have nine scorpenes in total with another six new sub's. That's a total of 15 boats with 11 having AIP . Super news!
days ago we have a report of four additional Scorpene with DRDO fuel cell AIP

Now I just hope we scrap buying six slightly better sub's and instead go for twenty kilos with ten being built in India as KILO-MKI kinda like our own Yuan class! Given that each KILO costs only 300$million we can easily buy 20 for the cost mandated in P75I.
meh ..bring the DCNS SMX Ocean

kurup

Country flag
Matbal 6+4+3=13 scorpenes? With 9 AIP boats?

Whatever we get chota bhai will rake in the moolah, he's tied up with Fincianteri, DCNS and the Russians now!
The new order is for either 3 or 4 new scorpenes .... different news outlets are reporting different numbers .

So in total 9 or 10 scorpenes with 5 or 6 AIP ...... considering the newer ones and 2 of the older ones will be equipped with DRDO AIP .

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Th
The new order is for either 3 or 4 new scorpenes .... different news outlets are reporting different numbers .

So in total 9 or 10 scorpenes with 5 or 6 AIP ...... considering the newer ones and 2 of the older ones will be equipped with DRDO AIP .
Good to know! Thank you for the clarification!
So we're looking at ten scorpenes, and another six new build boats. A total of sixteen new boats in all. I'd also expect at least eight out of the current fleet of thirteen to remain in operation till 2030.looks like we're about to achieve the magic number of 24 SSKs in 2030 after all.

uoftotaku

Country flag
4 Scorpene's to replace the 4 Shishumar's and 6 P75-i's to replace the oldest Kilo's which will be reaching their hull life limits. Total sub force will stand at 10 Scorpene's + 6 P75-i's + 4 Kilo's + 2 Akula's + 2 ATV's + 2 SSN-i's (at least) by 2030

Better than a poke in the eye at least. Of course this is all assuming the money is available for such ambitions

uoftotaku

Country flag
@uoftotaku

all 9 Kilo would be refitted and under operational till 2040
That is unfortunately not possible. Every submarine hull has a specified metal stress life limit. In the case of each boat it would be different depending on her specific operational profile. But as a rule of thumb you can consider that each hull can only perform X number of max depth dives over its lifetime.

Now the variation as I mentioned comes into play because no operational sub goes to max depth regularly. Actual operational depth is all over the place and over the course of her life the sub goes through thousands of dives in various circumstances.

Hull life is also effected by the number and quality of MLU's / Overhauls performed. This is because subs like the Kilo need to be physically cut open to replace / upgrade major machinery & systems. Each cut and re-weld can have dramatic effect on overall service life. A badly done weld on the pressure hull can be disastrous. But even good welds are not entirely without effect. Slowly but surely the metal loses its strength. Once fatigue cracks start to set in there is no science on earth that can save the sub from the scrapyard.

At best we can expect the later refitted boats ( Sindhukesari onwards ) to last until 2030 at most but thats assuming careful use and easing of their operational duties once the Scorpene's and eventually the P-75i's come into the fleet. I would actually expect the last 4 Sindhu's to be shifted away from frontline to training duties near the end of the 2020's.

sabari

4 Scorpene's to replace the 4 Shishumar's and 6 P75-i's to replace the oldest Kilo's which will be reaching their hull life limits. Total sub force will stand at 10 Scorpene's + 6 P75-i's + 4 Kilo's + 2 Akula's + 2 ATV's + 2 SSN-i's (at least) by 2030

Better than a poke in the eye at least. Of course this is all assuming the money is available for such ambitions
India has money for all those sub and even more only matter is slow procurement process which is causing damage

rohit b3

Country flag

Umm, the Akulas are on a 10 year lease? INS Chakra will be returned by 2022? And the second Sub would possibly be leased from 2018 to 2028. They wouldn be in our inventory as of 2030.

NLD

Umm, the Akulas are on a 10 year lease? INS Chakra will be returned by 2022? And the second Sub would possibly be leased from 2018 to 2028. They wouldn be in our inventory as of 2030.
Chakra has an option where IN could buy it after the lease period…may be IN will go for it as nuclear attack submarine of our country will take time or as said above we will be at the beginning with only 2 subs at that time.
The second sub will also be in the same path i believe.

Last edited:

uoftotaku

Country flag
Yes lease is for 10 years. For good reason too. The OK-650 Reactor core needs to be refueled after 10 years of service. Hence the Chakra II needs to be returned to Russian Navy service and officially be refueled as a Russian boat to avoid violating international nuclear control agreements.

Needless to say that as IN has essentially paid for the sub's completion they will also be expected to pay for the reactor refuel as part of the contract "renewal". Why do I confidentially say she will finish her life as a IN boat? Very simple, almost all of her equipment is customized for the IN. Onboard systems are all in English display not Russian. Her armament is also modified as is her comm's. Every aspect of the boat is catered for the IN. If the Russians want to put her in their service she will have to be almost 50% rebuilt to make her compatible with the rest of the fleet. Fat chance of that happening.

Anyway the Russians are concentrating on a future sub force built around the Yasen / Borei combo. The Akula / Delta combo will not see any significant investments beyond the required MLU's to keep boats serviceable until replacements become available in sufficient numbers.

WolfPack86

Country flag
we need atleast 30 different submarine to our boost under water capablities

mahesh

Country flag
out of topic - how did china manage to build that much subs, and can all the subs reach Indian ocean or all the subs of china has the ability to roam around indian ocean or atleast near Andaman Nicobar , srilanka and pak ?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
out of topic - how did china manage to build that much subs, and can all the subs reach Indian ocean or all the subs of china has the ability to roam around indian ocean or atleast near Andaman Nicobar , srilanka and pak ?
Your post has two questions
1) how did China manage to build so many sub's?
Answer- By good planning and implementation of submarine building schedules. This includes setting up and upgrading shipbuilding facilities and leveraging the strengths of a number of state owned enterprises.

2) can these submarines operate in the IOR?
Answer- all PLAN nuclear submarines can operate in the IOR, Also the Chinese built Song and Yuan class submarines can operate in the IOR,apart from these the PLAN also operates a number of KILOs that can operate in the IOR.

blueblood

Your post has two questions
1) how did China manage to build so many sub's?
Answer- By good planning and implementation of submarine building schedules. This includes setting up and upgrading shipbuilding facilities and leveraging the strengths of a number of state owned enterprises.
Agreed

2) can these submarines operate in the IOR?
Answer- all PLAN nuclear submarines can operate in the IOR, Also the Chinese built Song and Yuan class submarines can operate in the IOR,apart from these the PLAN also operates a number of KILOs that can operate in the IOR.
Well that's not true. Romeo class that PLAN has are dockyard queens. Neither PLAN nor its sailors are suicidal enough to go to war in those things.

Type 39 and its follow ups are newer subs with not so impressive features but can handle themselves in IOR.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Agreed

Well that's not true. Romeo class that PLAN has are dockyard queens. Neither PLAN nor its sailors are suicidal enough to go to war in those things.

Type 39 and its follow ups are newer subs with not so impressive features but can handle themselves in IOR.
Read my post correctly I did not mention the romeo or the ming!

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
My bad but even then the radiation leaking underwater thrash metal band called Type 91 is not going anywhere.
He asked whether they can operate, not whether they would cause sonar operators to lose hearing, while simultaneously giving their entire crew cancer.
The type 91 can go where it wants to, the crew might die of cancer and whales might run away from the IOR as it comes, but it still can go where it wants to :p .

blueblood

He asked whether they can operate, not whether they would cause sonar operators to lose hearing, while simultaneously giving their entire crew cancer.
The type 91 can go where it wants to, the crew might die of cancer and whales might run away from the IOR as it comes, but it still can go where it wants to :p .
Man those chinis are evil. Killing whales and whatnot...........:scared2:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles