P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
we need a ship that can enter the ring and take few like a true boxer but still deliver the final knock out blow. :lehappy:
Yes that's why with a railguns and let's say 45,000 tons displacement with 600 VLS. That's a true Monster can control an entire country.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
the true legendary IOWA class battleship. Nothing can survive those 16' inch guns. it fires 1 ton projectile 40 km away.

we need similar kind of battleship but those 16 inches be replaced with rail guns.

View attachment 64002
Rail guns are overrated. A better choice would be to go with CLG guns - they are a lot simpler to design and produce and can achieve far higher muzzle velocities than a railgun/ mass driver.

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
Rail guns are overrated. A better choice would be to go with CLG guns - they are a lot simpler to design and produce and can achieve far higher muzzle velocities than a railgun/ mass driver.
But not as accurate owing to inconsistency in the muzzle velocities. There's no reliable method to predict muzzle velocity on a CLG gun. And it uses liquid propellants, which might corrode the barrel if stored for a long time.

I could be wrong.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But not as accurate owing to inconsistency in the muzzle velocities.
Consistency can be achieved through the use of advanced AI algorithms that will ensure consistent propellant loading.
There's no reliable method to predict muzzle velocity on a CLG gun.
As long as you can maintain consistency in the amount of propellant, it should not be a problem.
And it uses liquid propellants, which might corrode the barrel if stored for a long time.

I could be wrong.
It's just liquid hydrogen and oxygen, which are not as corrosive. And besides, the propellants are supposed to be stored in isolated tanks, connected to the chamber with pipes, so the barrels wouldn't be in contact with the propellant for any prolonged period of time anyway.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Rail guns will mostly be inefficient till Super capacitor comes in the picture. Good thing super capacitor is under development here.

Killbot

Country flag
Exactly. And you will need an abundant supply of electrical energy although, that shouldn't be a problem for a ship of this size.
I read a Sputnik report from 2017 that DRDO tested a railgun with a 12mm projectile. Is it to be believed? Same said that they were developing a 30mm version. Puny in comparison to what US is doing, but still significant as the projectile achieved Mach 6 (acc to report). What is your take on this?

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I read a Sputnik report from 2017 that DRDO tested a railgun with a 12mm projectile. Is it to be believed? Same said that they were developing a 30mm version. Puny in comparison to what US is doing, but still significant as the projectile achieved Mach 6 (acc to report). What is your take on this?
Yeah, I'd read that report as well and I believe the DRDO had, in fact, made and tested a very basic prototype of a coil gun but whether they've followed through with improving the design, I'm not sure as I haven't come across any further reports about it since.

Killbot

Country flag
Yeah, I'd read that report as well and I believe the DRDO had, in fact, made and tested a very basic prototype of a coil gun but whether they've followed through with improving the design, I'm not sure as I haven't come across any further reports about it since.
So it was a coil gun and not a true rail gun...

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Bharmos 2 believable, even rail gun is believable if the Destroyers has Intergated Electric Propulsion. But CIWS Laser? Some body is cooking pulao made in dreams. :pound:
It's size and capabilities have not been finalised. In absence of any official report on this matter, speculating (pulao-plating) is ok. Some reports also mentioned a compact version of EMALS for launching UCAVs, UAVs.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
DRDO doesn't have capability to develop an actual usable rail-gun. Basic tech has to be developed by one of the IIT's or IISc.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles