P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Project 18 is a class of Next Generation Stealth Guided Missile Destroyers planned for the Indian Navy. This ship class will be in replacement of the rajput class.
General characteristics
Class overview
Name:Project 18 class
Builders:Mazgaon Dock Yard
Operators:Indian Navy
Preceded by:Visakhpatanam Class Destroyers
Cost:50,000 crores.
Planned:6
Type:Stealth Guided Missile Destroyers.
Displacement:13,000 Standard tonnes 13,000 long tons; 14,000 short tons.
Speed:In excess of 30 knots 56 km/h.
Crew:400 70 officers and 330 sailors.
Sensors and
processing systems:

• BEL HUMSA-NG bow sonar
Armament:
Aircraft carried:

Excellent. I hope that new technologies will come into this including hypersonic Brahmos, Laser, Advance Torpedo decoy and upgraded version of MRSAM for protection else it will be an approach taken by china just to improve weigh and weapons without Improving technologies significantly.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
IMO, we should have ordered more P-15B destroyers. P-18 cruiser project looks nice but 7 destroyers are not enough.
Ya Nibba its actually like this 6 Project 18 Class Destroyers. 6 Project 18 A class Destroyers. Project 18 A would be more advance follow on Destroyers. IAF and IA should learn from IN about Project Managment.

Excellent. I hope that new technologies will come into this including hypersonic Brahmos, Laser, Advance Torpedo decoy and upgraded version of MRSAM for protection else it will be an approach taken by china just to improve weigh and weapons without Improving technologies significantly.
Many are saying this might posses some kind of BMD. And with 120 VLS. Missiles like Bharmos NG, Bharmos 2, LRSAM ER, LRCM, SMART? may be and BMD. That's a whole lot of missile. If Interrgated Electric Propulsion is planned then we can have Rail guns.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Project 18 is a class of Next Generation Stealth Guided Missile Destroyers planned for the Indian Navy. This ship class will be in replacement of the rajput class.
General characteristics
Class overview
Sensors and
processing systems:

• BEL HUMSA-NG bow sonar
Armament:
Aircraft carried:
When was their displacement (planned) increased from 9k to 14k?

Haldilal

Country flag
When was their displacement (planned) increased from 9k to 14k?
Ya'll Nibbiars It is quite speculative but as per latest you can safely say it's almost 13,000 tonnes. I never heard of 9,000 tonnes. In 2016 I clearly heard it was around 11,000 - 12,000 tonnes and some one here on DFI said in 2017 it would posses Intergated Electric Propulsion and BMD. You can search from 2017 if you want.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars It is quite speculative but as per latest you can safely say it's almost 13,000 tonnes. I never heard of 9,000 tonnes. In 2016 I clearly heard it was around 11,000 - 12,000 tonnes and some one here on DFI said in 2017 it would posses Intergated Electric Propulsion and BMD. You can search from 2017 if you want.
The screenshot you shared for Type 18 is from an Alpha Defence video.
Even this video says.....'probably' it will be an Arleigh Burke III-class destroyer, which is 10,000 tonnes. But given that the displacement is speculative as of now, will leave it there.

Haldilal

Country flag
The screenshot you shared for Type 18 is from an Alpha Defence video.
Even this video says.....'probably' it will be an Arleigh Burke III-class destroyer, which is 10,000 tonnes. But given that the displacement is speculative as of now, will leave it there.
It better to wait till we can see the tonnage through official channels, it always create a confusion if you are talking about standard tonnage or Tonnage fully loaded. But whatever ever it will surely be in class of Super destroyer like Sejong the Great and Type 55 Class Destroyer. If we follow the trend that is going on.

Since this is such a big and possibly well armed destroyer cruiser, does GoI/Navy have the budget for this?
I will say easily 10,000 crores per ship without R & D cost.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars I will say this is a new class Super Dsetroyers. Many ship have emerged in this class like
Atago Class Destroyer 10,000 tons.
Sejong the Great class Destroyer 11,000 tons.
Type 55 class Destroyers 12,000 to 13,000 tons.
Type 55 A class Destroyers 13,000 plus tons.

shade

Country flag
Let's hope the economy grows fast.
Let's hope rather God puts it in GoI decision makers mind's to boost defence spending irrespective of economy.
In the neighboring country they have the mindset of getting equipment even if their citizens have to eat grass.
ofc there the money for equipment instead is used instead to run Abbu Bajwa's Pizzerias, but we can make very good use of enhanced defense budget moneys.

Killbot

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars I will say this is a new class Super Dsetroyers. Many ship have emerged in this class like
Atago Class Destroyer 10,000 tons.
Sejong the Great class Destroyer 11,000 tons.
Type 55 class Destroyers 12,000 to 13,000 tons.
Type 55 A class Destroyers 13,000 plus tons.
Tonnage is all well and good, but will they be adequately armed? We have seen that many indian vessels are underarmed.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Since this is such a big and possibly well armed destroyer cruiser, does GoI/Navy have the budget for this?
Budget has always been the issue, not building capability... And the answer is, nobody really knows. Not even GoI.
These are targeted to be commissioned by 2030.
Tonnage is all well and good, but will they be adequately armed? We have seen that many indian vessels are underarmed.
IN don't consider them underarmed. I think universal VLS has some technical shortcomings too... They have made no demads for development of the same.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars We approached the Soviet Vessel design in which we leave space for future upgrade. We could have install additional VLS for Nirbhay Missile in existing Ships. But we all knew what happend to the Nirbhay Cruise Missile Programme.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars I checked many videos most of them are saying 13,000 Tonnes for the Project 18 Class Destroyers.

FOXBAT ALOK

Country flag
General characteristics
Class overview
Sensors and
processing systems:

• BEL HUMSA-NG bow sonar
Armament:
Aircraft carried:
any trusted source ?

Haldilal

Country flag
any trusted source ?
Just a bunch of sources but can surely say it's a Super Destroyers between 10,000 to 13 tons and with cost easily between 10,000 crores per vessel exculding R & D could even cost more. MDL is already preparing for it by leasing 12 acres of land for this kind of projects.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
I was thinking , that can't we reduce numbers of 15b class from 4 to 2 or at best 3 and then direct the capital and other resources for project 18.
But project 18 should be indian Yamato

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles