Project-17A Nilgiri-class Frigate Thread

Fatalis

Country flag
I mean MDL cannot do much when they are asked to cut open a completed hull juat coz the Navy woke up one fine day and thought lets integrate VL-SRSAM on our under construction Nilgiri class frigates
Just curious, how come are they gonna integrate it if the testing and development is still going on?

The last update for VL-SRSAM was that DRDO wanted to tweak the VLS.

There are other ships which require VL-SRSAM more than the under production P-17A. And if IN wants both MRSAM and VL-SRSAM on a single ship then why not push for the UVLS.

I have fair share of doubts that IN wants both SAM on a single platform (atleast for now).

Fatalis

Country flag
The delay in freezing certain parameters after reaching this phase of construction. Few things are coming to my mind:

1. IN wants the new mast on the ships along with the new CMS.
2. They want to integrate UVLS which seems very unlikely as it's still under development.
3. Addition of VL-SRSAM.
4. No new features just normal delay.
5. Something else.

flanker99

Country flag
The delay in freezing certain parameters after reaching this phase of construction. Few things are coming to my mind:

1. IN wants the new mast on the ships along with the new CMS.
2. They want to integrate UVLS which seems very unlikely as it's still under development.
3. Addition of VL-SRSAM.
4. No new features just normal delay.
5. Something else.
Masts are very very unlikely even in the recent images the older masts were there

rohit b3

Country flag
I just realised that they have already conducted 4 Live testing of VL SRM, 2 from Warships. INS Rana is already integrated with 16 x VL SRM. Now if Nilgiri is not added with 16 x VLSRM along with the 32 x Barak 8, it would be sheer stupidity .

vishnugupt

Country flag
2 different paths of trials for almost same missile

Indian Navy:- VL- SRSAM first fired in 2019 (2021 if I'm wrong ) and inducted in Navy after 4th trial in 2022. Navy was involved in program from each and every aspect.
Zero negative media reporting regarding missile

Indian Army:- QR-SAM was first tested in 2017 and still in trials. All trials were going well until 2022 when during last test, missile was found short in all area including range, target acquisition, mobility, accuracy, engagement.
Now missile sent to drawing board again.
Indian Army came into picture only at last step.
Full of negative media reporting.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
2 different paths of trials for almost same missile

Indian Navy:- VL- SRSAM first fired in 2019 (2021 if I'm wrong ) and inducted in Navy after 4th trial in 2022. Navy was involved in program from each and every aspect.
Zero negative media reporting regarding missile

Indian Army:- QR-SAM was first tested in 2017 and still in trials. All trials were going well until 2022 when during last test, missile was found short in all area including range, target acquisition, mobility, accuracy, engagement.
Now missile sent to drawing board again.
Indian Army came into picture only at last step.
Full of negative media reporting.
I call that BS, that article was nothing more than a plain hitjob, QRSAM has cleared all its user trials with the Indian Army and orders for the system will be placed in this year itself.
These are not my sources, this is from DDR

vishnugupt

Country flag
I call that BS, that article was nothing more than a plain hitjob, QRSAM has cleared all its user trials with the Indian Army and orders for the system will be placed in this year itself.
These are not my sources, this is from DDR
Ya, it has cleared all trials like Nag, ATAGs. Production is soon.
I meant, why is Army projects which is marred by negative publicity, zero clarity whether is it cleared or not.
Whenever trials take place, We always see two different claims, one from DRDO as success while few days later unknown sources from defence which will claim trials was actually a failure.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Ya, it has cleared all trials like Nag, ATAGs. Production is soon.
I meant, why is Army projects which is marred by negative publicity, zero clarity whether is it cleared or not.
Whenever trials take place, We always see two different claims, one from DRDO as success while few days later unknown sources from defence which will claim trials was actually a failure.
Production clearance is given by MoD, not IA.
MoD is yet to green light QRSAM for production.
VL-SRSAM is surface launched Astra Mk1, and Astra Mk1 has had its fair share of negative publicity in the past, recently some IAF official said DRDO should reduce its weight by 50kg as the current 154kg Astra Mk1 is way too heavy, which is simply ridiculous.
Journalists aren't the brightest bunch out there, and when they are lying through their teeth for vested interests, its clearly visible.

Dharani

Country flag
How long until sea trails?

I think the original commissioning date was supposed to be 2022 or 2023 so it's 1 to 2 years late.
"Just to give you a broad idea, while I've given you an overview of when we are going to complete the projects. The first of the P17 Alpha project is almost touched 50% of construction, with the second and third one closely following, second one is almost at 40% of physical construction and the third one is at about 20% to 25% of physical construction. The survey vessel, the first ship that we intend delivering this year, we already crossed around 75% of physical construction " -- GRSE CMD, Q3 Investor's Concall.

I think we can safely assume, no P17A from GRSE till 2025. Rest up folks, not anytime soon.

rohit b3

Country flag
"Just to give you a broad idea, while I've given you an overview of when we are going to complete the projects. The first of the P17 Alpha project is almost touched 50% of construction, with the second and third one closely following, second one is almost at 40% of physical construction and the third one is at about 20% to 25% of physical construction. The survey vessel, the first ship that we intend delivering this year, we already crossed around 75% of physical construction " -- GRSE CMD, Q3 Investor's Concall.

I think we can safely assume, no P17A from GRSE till 2025. Rest up folks, not anytime soon.
GRSE had already stated that their first Project 17A wont be ready before 2025 in some previous interview comment.
First INS Nilgiri from MDL should be ready for commissioning by 3rd quarter of 2024, for which we have to see the fully constructed ship into its trials by the end of this year.

Fatalis

Country flag
MDL is building four frigates under P-17A, their first ship ‘Nilgiri’ is set to be delivered in the middle of next year (2024), and then subsequently 1 ship each year thereafter. The fourth ship under MDL will be delivered in the middle of FY28.

GRSE is building three frigates under P-17A, their first ship ‘Himgiri’ is set to be delivered around August 2025, and then subsequently 1 ship every 6 months thereafter.

rohit b3

Country flag
Finally we are seeing a good level of modular construction at MDL and GRSE. Launched in 2 years and 5 months and decent work on superstructure already completed.

Here was INS Vishakapatnam launch within 1.5 years.
1692289017683.png

Just the plain old Hull. Ended up taking 6.5 years more till commissioning from launch.

Now hopefully we will see Nilgiri Class ships (except the first and second one) being commissioned within 3-4 years at most, from launch date.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles