Project-17A Nilgiri-class Frigate Thread

abingdonboy

Country flag
NGF Mentioned in TPCR and in MDL correspondence alongside NGD/P18.

Dunno any details though. Could be P17A follow on could be something else.
Never heard of that, interesting.

Would be good if it’s ordered before 2025 (around 2023 would be optimal given 2 year lead time) so there’s seamless production from 17A to NGF but that isn’t India’s strongpoint

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Yes - though this seems to be an older iteration considering its still showing the RAWL-02 radar on rear mast, plus the funnel seems off (model-making has never been strong suite of our yards).

These are the latest official CGIs from MDL/GRSE:

And from DND:

View attachment 105174
Is LRDE making a naval L-band surveillance radar or are we going to depend on RAN-40L for our NGD and NGF?

Gessler

Country flag
Is LRDE making a naval L-band surveillance radar or are we going to depend on RAN-40L for our NGD and NGF?
RAN-40Ls aren't coming anymore because of Finmeccanica blacklisting. We only got the 1 for Vikrant because it was a pre-blacklist contract and as per terms they had to honour any existing deals.

I believe it's been decided that the INDRA Sistemas Lanza LTR-25 will be used on P-17As (license built by Tata). It's likely P-15Bs (and P-15As) will be retrofitted with the same, replacing their existing RAWL-02s.

As of NGF, NGD its too early to say - In the interest of commonality it would be great to use same LTR-25, but the new RAWL-03 APAR (C/D-band) is also here. Dunno about its capabilities vis-a-vis Lanza but if we want to indigenize we have that option.

More importantly - what we need is a cheaper multifunction APAR to serve as main radar for smaller ships like the NGC & NGMV. The MFSTAR with its 4 arrays will be too expensive a solution for these smaller ships. What we need is a single, rotating array for these programs.

Something like the ELM-2258 ALPHA - but I'm pretty confident LRDE+Astra Microwave can develop & build a comparable APAR indigenously.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
RAN-40Ls aren't coming anymore because of Finmeccanica blacklisting. We only got the 1 for Vikrant because it was a pre-blacklist contract and as per terms they had to honour any existing deals.

I believe it's been decided that the INDRA Sistemas Lanza LTR-25 will be used on P-17As (license built by Tata). It's likely P-15Bs (and P-15As) will be retrofitted with the same, replacing their existing RAWL-02s.

As of NGF, NGD its too early to say - In the interest of commonality it would be great to use same LTR-25, but the new RAWL-03 APAR is also here. Dunno about its capabilities vis-a-vis Lanza but if we want to indigenize we have that option.

More importantly - what we need in a cheaper multifunction APAR to serve as main radar for smaller ships like the NGC & NGMV. The MFSTAR with its 4 arrays will be too expensive a solution for these smaller ships. What we need is a single, rotating array for these programs.

Something like the ELM-2258 ALPHA - but I'm pretty confident LRDE+Astra Microwave can develop & build a comparable APAR indigenously.

I feel like MF-STAR might be continued for Frigates whereas Destroyers (P-18 onwards) would get LRMFR (the one on INS Anvesh). I read somewhere that LRMFR is similar in size to SPY-6 the Americans want on their Arleigh Burke replacement. Don't know if its also a GaN AESA.

Gessler

Country flag
I feel like MF-STAR might be continued for Frigates whereas Destroyers (P-18 onwards) would get LRMFR (the one on INS Anvesh). I read somewhere that LRMFR is similar in size to SPY-6 the Americans want on their Arleigh Burke replacement. Don't know if its also a GaN AESA.
Possible, but that is speculation at best. Though a very likely one.

As of frigates, much will depend on how the surface warfare doctrine develops like I said previously. If NGF is to NGD what 17A is to 15B (basically a smaller ship with almost same capabilities), then same LRMFR can be used for NGF as well.

These TRM arrays are by nature extremely scalable so size/power is not a concern. Like the SPY-1 family, where there are versions for smallest to biggest class of vessel:

Gessler

Country flag
P.S.

I thought we talking about Surveillance radar aka secondary radar...the LRMFR is a Multifunction aka primary radar.

Dharani

Country flag
Hi, yeah, no photos, I was on the Freeway, its visible for hardly 2-3 seconds if you know where to look. From the freeway only the Kasara Wet Basin part is visible, it's where 1 P15-B & 1 P-17A are docked, if you look at G Maps. So I know that the ship I saw the mast superstructure (only the superstructures, no systems installed) was where the P-17A was docked. The mast head was not there in Mar '21. The P15-B's mast is visible on G Maps imiages from Jan '21.
This also means that P-17A definitely won't be ready for induction next year.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles