Project-17A Nilgiri-class Frigate Thread

flanker99

Country flag
Total 6are present three without full hull assembly and 4 with hupl assembled almost so 3 are vizag and 3 are nilgiri as imo
2 nilgiri 4 vizag...as i said before of the 2 in drydock one is second nilgiri another is 4th vizag(wait for new images then compare size of both it will be around 150 m vs 163 mtr)....the hulls in water are pretty easy to identify 1 nilgiri and 3 vizags

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
2 nilgiri 4 vizag...as i said before of the 2 in drydock one is second nilgiri another is 4th vizag(wait for new images then compare size of both it will be around 150 m vs 163 mtr)....the hulls in water are pretty easy to identify 1 nilgiri and 3 vizags
Can a follow on be given?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
4th vizag maybe possible , but where are others of Nilgiri class .
One good news is we will be having 11 new ships from 21 to 25 but for next 5years need orders asap

Gessler

Country flag
Cochin shipyard will be building 6 missile boats at a cost of Rs.10,000 crore
At a displacement of ~2,500 tons they can't really be called "missile boats", they're full blown ocean-going corvettes. There are navies which would consider them frigates.

Missile boats are vessels >500 tons like Type 022 or PN Azmat-class FAC(M).

Only new-generation Indian surface combatants roughly in that ballpark (~700 tons) would be the 16 x shallow water ASW craft, but those are not equipped with missiles, only torpedos & RBUs and minimal self-defence in the form of 30mm cannon and MGs. Mostly there are for protecting the eastern & western seaboards in the vicinity of major naval bases (karwar, mumbai, vizag etc) by preventing hostile subs or X-craft from sneaking close.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
At a displacement of ~2,500 tons they can't really be called "missile boats", they're full blown ocean-going corvettes. There are navies which would consider them frigates.

Missile boats are vessels >500 tons like Type 022 or PN Azmat-class FAC(M).

Only new-generation Indian surface combatants roughly in that ballpark (~700 tons) would be the 16 x shallow water ASW craft, but those are not equipped with missiles, only torpedos & RBUs and minimal self-defence in the form of 30mm cannon and MGs. Mostly there are for protecting the eastern & western seaboards in the vicinity of major naval bases (karwar, mumbai, vizag etc) by preventing hostile subs or X-craft from sneaking close.
Wtf is wrong with us , turks were beating chest even before construction of milgem ada clsss , and we don't have a finalized design with us in public , if we want export in naval department ,we need to look at publicity a lot more

Gessler

Country flag
Wtf is wrong with us , turks were beating chest even before construction of milgem ada clsss , and we don't have a finalized design with us in public , if we want export in naval department ,we need to look at publicity a lot more
People thought making the state-run shipyards into corporate PSUs and listing them on stock exchange will be enough...but with the current tendency to 'nominate' everything, they're hardly having to compete even among themselves, let alone with Pvt sector.

And Pvt yards are getting the short end of the stick as the DPSU yards are always first to be nominated for anything.

I lost all semblance of fair play when they nominated HSL for the SOV midget submarine program instead of L&T...on one hand a top-notch Pvt company that built hulls of SSBNs and on other a mediocre DPSU yard that couldn't even refurbish a Kilo-class in 10 years.

Guess which one was 'chosen'.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
People thought making the state-run shipyards into corporate PSUs and listing them on stock exchange will be enough...but with the current tendency to 'nominate' everything, they're hardly having to compete even among themselves, let alone with Pvt sector.

And Pvt yards are getting the short end of the stick as the DPSU yards are always first to be nominated for anything.

I lost all semblance of fair play when they nominated HSL for the SOV midget submarine program instead of L&T...on one hand a top-notch Pvt company that built hulls of SSBNs and on other a mediocre DPSU yard that couldn't even refurbish a Kilo-class in 10 years.

And the project is dead as of now , will be won by new lnt design

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

As to why they might have been chosen:-
The Board of Directors of HSL has some OSD currently working in the Department of Defence Production (i.e. an MoD babu) as a part-time director. This is an official appointment! I remember reading some retired Admiral's article where he highlights this conflict of interest and how its hampering Indian warship production.
Another area that might cause conflict of interest is the fact that most DPSU shipyards have senior management consisting of retired Naval officers, some of whom might have influenced decisions to bag a cushy job after retirement (not sure if anybody's ever actually done it, but it seems likely).
Compare that to private shipyards like L&T, I am not sure they have the same advantage. Does GoI appoint serving officers in MoD to the Board of Directors of L&T?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

As to why they might have been chosen:-
The Board of Directors of HSL has some OSD currently working in the Department of Defence Production (i.e. an MoD babu) as a part-time director. This is an official appointment! I remember reading some retired Admiral's article where he highlights this conflict of interest and how its hampering Indian warship production.
Another area that might cause conflict of interest is the fact that most DPSU shipyards have senior management consisting of retired Naval officers, some of whom might have influenced decisions to bag a cushy job after retirement (not sure if anybody's ever actually done it, but it seems likely).
Compare that to private shipyards like L&T, I am not sure they have the same advantage. Does GoI appoint serving officers in MoD to the Board of Directors of L&T?
Ya'll Nibbbiars simply L & T quoted much higher price almost 20 to 30 percent. As they have high investment cost to cover and also why the HSL won the NGMV and not the L & T.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbbiars simply L & T quoted much higher price almost 20 to 30 percent. As they have high investment cost to cover and also why the HSL won the NGMV and not the L & T.
And both the project has no image released as of yet nor any design

Gessler

Country flag
Yeah yeah we all know about these dubious practices...DPSUs learnt a lot from Russians.

"The production of warships for the Indian Navy has faced considerable delays and a cost escalation of around 225 per cent in the case of the Kolkata-class destroyers and 260 per cent in the case of Shivalik-class frigates."

If a Pvt company did that sort of jacking-up costs mid way through, the deal would be summarily terminated.

Haldilal

Country flag
Yeah yeah we all know about these dubious practices...DPSUs learnt a lot from Russians.

"The production of warships for the Indian Navy has faced considerable delays and a cost escalation of around 225 per cent in the case of the Kolkata-class destroyers and 260 per cent in the case of Shivalik-class frigates."

If a Pvt company did that sort of jacking-up costs mid way through, the deal would be summarily terminated.
Ya'll Nibbiars Will the Nilgiri will be delivered on time within the budget?.

Gessler

Country flag
I will call that Rajnath nibbiar and tell him to speak to the nibbiars at MDL, cross-check with nibbiars at GRSE and get back to me, as in, the nibbiar known as Gessler.

After which I will contact ya'll nibbiars on this thread and inform you as to what's going to happen.

Thereafter I will also post same info to nibbiars on other defence forums and eventually I'll tweet it out as well, there's lots of nibbiars there on twitter as well who would like to know.

Haldilal

Country flag
I will call that Rajnath nibbiar and tell him to speak to the nibbiars at MDL, cross-check with nibbiars at GRSE and get back to me, as in, the nibbiar known as Gessler.

After which I will contact ya'll nibbiars on this thread and inform you as to what's going to happen.

Thereafter I will also post same info to nibbiars on other defence forums and eventually I'll tweet it out as well, there's lots of nibbiars there on twitter as well who would like to know.
Ya'll Nibbiars you are fired.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Progress has been pretty rapid on the INS Nilgiri which is in its outfitting phase at MDL, progress on INS Himgiri has been comparatively slower at GRSE.

MDL built P17A frigates seem to be on track for their respective commissioning dates

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles