Prithvi-II test-fired successfully

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

India on Wednesday successfully test-fired a version of nuclear-capable 'Prithvi-II' ballistic missile with a range of 350 kms from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, about 15 km from here off the Orissa coast.

The indigenously developed surface-to-surface ballistic missile was test fired at around 1020 hours from a mobile launcher as part of a user trial by the army, defence sources said.

The entire trajectory of the trial was tracked down by a battery of sophisticated radars and electro-optic telemetry stations positioned in different locations for post-launch analysis, they said.

A naval ship had been anchored near the impact point in the Bay of Bengal and a long-range tracking radar (LRTR) as well as a multi-function tracking radar (MFTR) had been deployed to track the missile's trajectory.

The sources said the test firing of the short-range ballistic missile was a user trial by the army. The surface-to-surface missile has already been inducted into the army and is "handled by the army unit attached to the strategic force command special group", the sources said.

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/prithvi-ii_test_fired_successfully.php

shiv

what is the point??
i think it is better to just do away with the missile and induct that canister based missile we test fired ~600 kms

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's a tactical missile more than a strategic one. And it's a user trial by the army to test it's own operational readiness and training to launch the missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

[/url]
After seeing this some thing comes to my mind this is test pic of pakistani missile.

watch the wheels of the Ghauri launcher and compaire this to Prithavi launchers wheel. this shows the maturity of our design. :blum3:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Can you elaborate technically?

Pintu

After seeing this some thing comes to my mind this is test pic of pakistani missile.

watch the wheels of the Ghauri launcher and compaire this to Prithavi launchers wheel. this shows the maturity of our design. :blum3:
Yes, Sayare, the wheels nearest to the missile in the mobile launcher of Pakistan have covers, before launching , IMO to protect it from flame generated by the launch of the missile? I may be wrong.

While , our mobile launcher has its nearest wheels uncovered while launching. That means the wheels can with stand the heat generated while launching that means the launchers are superior and battlefield ready.

Please clear me Sayare, if I am wrong.

Regards

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Pintu you are spot on..........

this shows that our designers have think of evey thing unlike the pakistanis, who have borrowed the missile.

Webcrawler

Improved Prithvi-II successfully test fired

Posted: Apr 15, 2009 at 1313 hrs IST

Balasore (Orissa) India on Wednesday successfully test-fired an improved version of nuclear-capable 'Prithvi-II' ballistic missile with a range of 350 km from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, about 15 km from Balasore, off the Orissa coast.
The indigenously developed surface-to-surface missile was test-fired at around 1020 hours from a Tatra transporter erector launcher from the launch complex no. 3 of the test range as part of a user trial by the army, Defence sources said.

Describing the test-fire as a "success", they said the improved version of the ballistic missile was tested by the "Special Missile Regiment" from Secunderabad in Andhra Pradesh raised by the Indian Army under the supervision of scientists of Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO).

The entire trajectory of the trial was tracked down by a battery of sophisticated radars and electro-optic telemetry stations positioned in different locations for post-launch analysis, they said.

A naval ship had been anchored near the impact point in the Bay of Bengal and a Long-Range Tracking Radar (LRTR) as well as a Multi-Function Tracking Radar (MFTR) had been deployed to track the missile's trajectory.

Eminent scientist and Chief Controller (R&D) missile and strategic system of DRDO, V K Saraswat and army officials were present to witness the trial.

Even as the test-fire was described as part of the user's trial, the sleek surface-to-surface missile has already been inducted into the Indian Army and is being handled by the unit attached to the strategic force command special group, the sources said.

Amidst constant efforts to improve and fine-tune the missile, scientists of the DRDO were supervising the test-firing and all logistic support was provided by the ITR personnel in Balasore.

The 8.56 meter-long and one meter wide twin engine missile has features to deceive any anti ballistic missile and is equipped with "added inertial navigation" system, the sources said.

The missile, which is designed to operate with both liquid as well as solid fuel, can carry conventional or nuclear pay loads of 500 kg.

The user's trial of "Prithvi-II" was last carried out on May 23, 2008 from the ITR, Chandipur.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The 8.56 meter-long and one meter wide twin engine missile has features to deceive any anti ballistic missile and is equipped with "added inertial navigation" system, the sources said.
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news
That is the best part of the report, given the fact that DRDO has being working for anti missile defence, this is the next logical step for them,

i cannot wait to see same type of test being carried out on Agni series of missile.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Pintu you are spot on..........

this shows that our designers have think of evey thing unlike the pakistanis, who have borrowed the missile.
We should start comparing our defence with Pakistan as we are way ahead and that ship (comparison) has sailed long back, it actually pegs us a step back. We should compare our defence systems with China and other world leaders. That should be the aim of our scientists, to strive for the best defence systems in world with indigenous efforts.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
We should start comparing our defence with Pakistan as we are way ahead and that ship (comparison) has sailed long back, it actually pegs us a step back. We should compare our defence systems with China and other world leaders. That should be the aim of our scientists, to strive for the best defence systems in world with indigenous efforts.
DD comparing with China in what sense? Copy paste or innovation?

I don't think we should compare ourselves with our neighbors as we are not copy cats.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
DD comparing with China in what sense? Copy paste or innovation?

I don't think we should compare ourselves with our neighbors as we are not copy cats.
I meant standard, quality and numbers in the defence system as a whole.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I meant standard, quality and numbers in the defence system as a whole.
Well there is no comparison in that we all know about Chinese products no need to talk about that :) well numbers yes we can discuss but you need more numbers because you have inferior quality products. Hope you understand what I am saying. We should compare ourselves only to west yeah we have catching up to do but our products are world class.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am not comparing our missile with Pakistani, i was just commenting on the pic of Prithavi launch and the image i have seen of pakistani missile on the moblie launcher. yeah our systems is indigenous that is why the whole exercise of design.

As far as comparision of defence systems is concern, i dont they so that we should compaire defence systems. Defence systems are made keeping in mind the need and doctrine of respective countries, it is not base on what the others have.

That is my undestanding of Defence systems. If this was not true then we would have bought all the western systems. That is why our forces have GSQR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles