Post covid 19 economic opportunities for India

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

In wake of corona pendamic spread across the world from Chinese soil, and chinese hegemonic design, many multinational companies are planning to quite china. US and many other countries have imposed heavy duty on Chinese goods to make it non viable for import in china. In this scenario, many multinationals are planning to quite china. Their natural option is India with huge middle class, liberal policies, highly literate English speaking humble diaspora, cheap labor, excellent research and development environment with highly skilled management and technical people.
As a nation, a big opportunity has come to us. If we are able to grab it with open arms, it will help us to emerge as the biggest economy in world in next two to three decades. We as a nation should devise a smart response by crafting a responsive strategy to exploit this opportunity to build a sustainable competitive advantage over other countries and china in particular. As a student of strategic management, a comprehensive plan emerges in my mind which I want to discuss here. I will discuss it one by one. Meanwhile , some literature has come on net on same subject. Our government is also thinking in this direction.

All members are requested to post news, opinion pieces and your thoughts here on the subject.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Kumata

Country flag

In wake of corona pendamic spread across the world from Chinese soil, and chinese hegemonic design, many multinational companies are planning to quite china. US and many other countries have imposed heavy duty on Chinese goods to make it non viable for import in china. In this scenario, many multinationals are planning to quite china. Their natural option is India with huge middle class, liberal policies, highly literate English speaking humble diaspora, cheap labor, excellent research and development environment with highly skilled management and technical people.
As a nation, a big opportunity has come to us. If we are able to grab it with open arms, it will help us to emerge as the biggest economy in world in next two to three decades. We as a nation should devise a smart response by crafting a responsive strategy to exploit this opportunity to build a sustainable competitive advantage over other countries and china in particular. As a student of strategic management, a comprehensive plan emerges in my mind which I want to discuss here. I will discuss it one by one. Meanwhile , some literature has come on net on same subject. Our government is also thinking in this direction.

All members are requested to post news, opinion pieces and your thoughts here on the subject.

Thank you very much.
Completely agree with all your observations but my only fear is we have already lost the oppurtunity to vietnam and like wise.

Problem is in bold above. we are still living on a labor law which was drafted in some 18th century .... I am discounting the stupid beaurocracy.. so unless people like modi / yogi himself leads this initiative...i dont see much change...

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Completely agree with all your observations but my only fear is we have already lost the oppurtunity to vietnam and like wise.

Problem is in bold above. we are still living on a labor law which was drafted in some 18th century .... I am discounting the stupid beaurocracy.. so unless people like modi / yogi himself leads this initiative...i dont see much change...
I agree with you to some extent. Our history is the history of lost opportunities. However, Vietnam has its limitations. It can exploit the situation to some extent only limited to low skilled labor jobs. We have a huge untapped are vacated by china. We can exploit it in the area of textiles, bulk drugs, electronics (with limitation) , consumer goods, automobiles, heavy engineering, capital goods etc. Vietnam can not compete in most of above area. We need some visionary businessmen coming back to India and start their work in particular area with bringing untapped business in India.

I am trying to change the situation in a small area with my limited resources.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Projection of soft power:

Western media, many of their journalist, their opinion makers and many of their intellectual were successful in projecting the bad image of India for many years. This Corona pandemic has raised many questions in the mind of those peoples including China that how how there is so less of severity and damage done by this pandemic to India compared to what it has done to other countries? Those who were projecting the image of India as a country of buffaloes and snake charmers will certainly face tough questions from their own media and people regarding the reality e of covid-19 not confirming that propaganda.

Covid-19 has done a lots of damage to economy of India but it is comparatively very low compared to the damage it has done in western countries , China Australia etc. . Whenever these people will try to do a counter India propaganda, certainly some questions will popup which will be very difficult for them to answer. By doing a lockdown and by and large saving the country from pandemic, Indian government is successful in projection of a different impression of India in the world community. Today , more than 55 countries of the world are asking for hydroxy chloroquine drugs from India including mighty US , Israel ,many Western Nations , Middle East Nation ,subcontinent Nations and those who were opposing India on many international forums such as Turkey and Malaysia. The OIC countries which had bluffed about India some times back has seek India's medical assistance on SOS basis.

Now India is emerged as a nation without which world will find it very difficult to get the solutions of their problems including conflict resolution, help in natural calamities, drugs of pendamic, medical assistance etc. Many people in western countries are saying that the solution of many problem lies in Hindu tradition and practices. Indian namaste became very popular overnight. This conveyed the world that every Indian rituals, tradition and practices has a scientific base. Those people who are in the business of propagating, lies and are paid for it,will continue to do that. However, many honest people who are victim of those propaganda will now have many counter questions to ask because of this pandemic. Today, the world has started recognising that it India is a vital Nation for World order. It is not a nuisance like China which has a hegemonic design and cause of many nuisances and gifting one sever pandamic or disease to the world every 4 to 5 years. India's impression has risen a lot because of this pandemic. The way India responded to it has generated a lots of curiosity in the mind of many thinking people. Many companies which were busy in in doing business in China because of certain advantages are now activly considering to shift the business to India.

It is said that India is a cardle of human Civilization. Many across the world has said something similar but that has not reached the masses. Now this Corona pandemic and it's response by India has strengthened this good belief about India and certainly it is created lots of curiosity in the people of the world to know the real picture of India rather than what is projected by some paid journalist and media.

This corona pandemic has done a great positive power projection India. The recognition which was relatively slow has become rapid. India has emerged as a nation of solution not problem.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Western media, many of their journalist, their opinion makers and many of their intellectual were successful in projecting the bad image of India for many years. This Corona pandemic has raised many questions in the mind of those peoples
Not really IMO.
Except a very few of those countries, friendly ones like France (and US to little extent) where India even normally is having somewhat positive image, most of westerners actually don't have a clue. I have came across plenty of British, Italian and other forums where they believe that rest of world is suffering even more than them and "millions are dead in India". Yes, they actually believe that millions are dying in India.

Not generalising but I'm very familiar with typical behavior of those diaspora. For them, their countries are best in world and rest of world suffers more & hides reality. Any average white nationalist doesn't have much of a clue about world and has a common perception for developing countries.

For them, there is not much difference between Mexico, Somalia, Iran, India or Myanmar. Their opinions have little to do with logics.

Kumata

Country flag
I agree with you to some extent. Our history is the history of lost opportunities. However, Vietnam has its limitations. It can exploit the situation to some extent only limited to low skilled labor jobs. We have a huge untapped are vacated by china. We can exploit it in the area of textiles, bulk drugs, electronics (with limitation) , consumer goods, automobiles, heavy engineering, capital goods etc. Vietnam can not compete in most of above area. We need some visionary businessmen coming back to India and start their work in particular area with bringing untapped business in India.

I am trying to change the situation in a small area with my limited resources.
Sir,

Vietnam is actively killing our BPO sector..thats a indication enough that vietnam is actively persuing strategy to take away majority of BPO work.... We were never a knowledge economy.. we are more apt at doing backend work

Rest.. less said than better.... Fact is Our inept beaurocracy runs this country .. and unless we put right people in right place.. nothing can be done... how can a BA pass gradte decide on computer science once he is IAS ... cracking a colonial Era exam is not enough. we need experts in those areas ...I am discouting reservations and what not pleaguing the system.

Thats what my expectation is from modi.. he need to break free the system from corrupt inept babus who join services pledging against social evil and are first one to put their rate in market for a dowry...I think he did tried that but not sure where it went...

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Not really IMO.
Except a very few of those countries, friendly ones like France (and US to little extent) where India even normally is having somewhat positive image, most of westerners actually don't have a clue. I have came across plenty of British, Italian and other forums where they believe that rest of world is suffering even more than them and "millions are dead in India". Yes, they actually believe that millions are dying in India.

Not generalising but I'm very familiar with typical behavior of those diaspora. For them, their countries are best in world and rest of world suffers more & hides reality. Any average white nationalist doesn't have much of a clue about world and has a common perception for developing countries.

For them, there is not much difference between Mexico, Somalia, Iran, India or Myanmar. Their opinions have little to do with logics.
I would like to draw your attention to some recent developments. Not a long time ago, a survey was conducted in west or UK. A question was put before respondents asking which country is most unsafe for women? India emerged as the most unsafe nation for women in the opinion of people surveyed. Just couple of days ago, India is put in the category of worst country for religious freedom in a US report. . This report is countered by couple of politicians. Now , you and I both know the truth in these reports. There is no country better better than India for religious freedom, yet, from US to west and Arabs advice us about the issues in which their track record is worst.

How these utter lies are ingrained in the mind general public? If they believe firm lies, than there must be reasons behind it. Who are behind these sustained propaganda? You are giving me the example of france but whole Europe used to have a very negative opinion about India. Only when they suffered from terrorism, they started paying attention what we say. France became serious on terrorism issue only after Charley Hebdo. Whole Europe (Generally) has a negative opinion about India. I know one ISRO scientist saying that when they went to Germany to source a tank for cryogenic fuel, his counter part said that what they will do with that tank? Situation in India is so worse that people are killed on road by elephants.
We need to go to root cause of these persecution build by a lobby and ways to counter it.

Many incidents have helped to counter these perceptions such as our space program, our victory in crickets, Vishwanathan Anand winning in chess etc. These incidents made them recognizing India.

Impression matters a lot and that is why China spends a huge amount on propaganda and able to project itself a much better and powerful nation than what it is. So goodwill and soft power are very important. This is one incident which will help to boost our impression it in my opinion.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Sir,

Vietnam is actively killing our BPO sector..thats a indication enough that vietnam is actively persuing strategy to take away majority of BPO work.... We were never a knowledge economy.. we are more apt at doing backend work

Rest.. less said than better.... Fact is Our inept beaurocracy runs this country .. and unless we put right people in right place.. nothing can be done... how can a BA pass gradte decide on computer science once he is IAS ... cracking a colonial Era exam is not enough. we need experts in those areas ...I am discouting reservations and what not pleaguing the system.

Thats what my expectation is from modi.. he need to break free the system from corrupt inept babus who join services pledging against social evil and are first one to put their rate in market for a dowry...I think he did tried that but not sure where it went...
I don't know about BPO sector as Vietnam doesn't have a English speaking diaspora but certainly many low skilled manufacturing jobs have shifted to Vietnam because of inability to fill the vaccum created by China. I fully agree with you about beurocracy.

Kumata

Country flag
I don't know about BPO sector as Vietnam doesn't have a English speaking diaspora but certainly many low skilled manufacturing jobs have shifted to Vietnam because of inability to fill the vaccum created by China. I fully agree with you about beurocracy.
Thats what... they are eating away our BPO jobs actively... vietnam cannot speak english is a general perception...

Vietnam was ranked 29th among Countries with the Top English Language Skills in the EF English Proficiency Index, compiled by EF Education First, a global language training company.

Countries on the list are the easiest for English speakers to visit, according to the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper. More than half (53.81 per cent) of Vietnam’s population can speak English, behind just two regional countries: Singapore with 61.08 per cent and Malaysia with 60.3 per cent.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
How these utter lies are ingrained in general public? If they believe firm lies than there must be reasons behind it.
There is a thing called confirmation bias. India's distorted history and set of conspiracy theories has implanted a certain landscape in minds of general population which they won't find very comfortable to give up. Particularly for their nationalistic egos as well.

World has been openly racist to Indians historically, be it whites, East Asians or even Africans, though Indians aren't very much known to be crying about that racism frequently as East Asians and Africans do. Most of us don't even care in general.
You are giving me the example of france but whole Europe used to have a very negative opinion about India. Only when they suffered from terrorism, they started paying attention what we say. Whole Europe (Generally) has a negative opinion about India. I know one ISRO scientist saying that when they went to Germany to source a tank for cryogenic fuel, his counter part said that what they will do with that tank? Situation in India is so worse that people are killed on road by elephants.
We need to go to root cause of these persecution build by a lobby and ways to counter it.

Many incidents have helped to counter these perceptions such as our space program, our victory in crickets, Vishwanathan Anand winning in chess etc. These incidents made them recognizing India.

Your impression matters a lot and that is why China spends a huge amount on propaganda and able project it a much better and powerful nation than what it is. So goodwill and soft power are very important. This is one incident which will help to boost it in my opinion.
France has been a bit well with India for a couple of decades. So, anti Indian sentiment there happens to be milder.

I very well understand that perception matters and it's been improving too. Until India's economic rise in 80s, it was seen as a fourth world country. Eras of 60s and 70s, when scholars used to write books like "Was it right decision to let Brits leave?". A lot has changed since then. But it's long way to go while you are comparing with PRC. First, China is a police state and emphasizes and spends more on PR than even actual work. China hides it's faultlines what India doesn't. Second, Indian history and perception too much as distorted as compared to PRC ones.

I also differ on emphasis of PR beyond borders a bit. Masses are ignorant in any country and their perception is based upon their confirmation than facts. PR is important but stability of country depends upon internal perception. As long as Indians trust their government and democracy, no country in world can shake our roots again like past 1000 years. And once, Indians lose interest in making a rich and powerful nationstate, no one can save this country from disintegration. Further, if you have to build overseas PR, build it in East Asia, as Europe and North America aren't going to go that far now. What they think about us matters as much as Latinos think.

Their perception won't change till a long string of humiliations knock their doors like happened to us. So, just focus on Indians for now!

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
There is a thing called confirmation bias. India's distorted history and set of conspiracy theories has implanted a certain landscape in minds of general population which they won't find very comfortable to give up. Particularly for their nationalistic egos as well.

World has been openly racist to Indians historically, be it whites, East Asians or even Africans, though Indians aren't very much known to be crying about that racism frequently as East Asians and Africans do. Most of us don't even care in general.

France has been a bit well with India for a couple of decades. So, anti Indian sentiment there happens to be milder.

I very well understand that perception matters and it's been improving too. Until India's economic rise in 80s, it was seen as a fourth world country. Eras of 60s and 70s, when scholars used to write books like "Was it right decision to let Brits leave?". A lot has changed since then. But it's long way to go while you are comparing with PRC. First, China is a police state and emphasizes and spends more on PR than even actual work. China hides it's faultlines what India doesn't. Second, Indian history and perception too much as distorted as compared to PRC ones.

I also differ on emphasis of PR beyond borders a bit. Masses are ignorant in any country and their perception is based upon their confirmation than facts. PR is important but stability of country depends upon internal perception. As long as Indians trust their government and democracy, no country in world can shake our roots again like past 1000 years. And once, Indians lose interest in making a rich and powerful nationstate, no one can save this country from disintegration. Further, if you have to build overseas PR, build it in East Asia, as Europe and North America aren't going to go that far now. What they think about us matters as much as Latinos think.

Their perception won't change till a long string of humiliations knock their doors like happened to us. So, just focus on Indians for now!

I agree and disagree both to your second last paragraph. While I agree with your notion that if Indians trust their democracy, no country can shake it is fully correct. I differ with you on initial part of your paragraph. Masses are ignorant but they way they are brainwashed by anti India propaganda, we need to naget it by counter propaganda because these perceptions directly impact tourism and foreign direct investment. If we perform weak on PR front, it will impact us financially. We depend a lot on international business, their investment and their know how for our rapid development. If we fail on PR front, our goal of becoming an economic superpower will go further away. Our PR need to be strong in the countries from where we gets business and investment. That is why our PR should be strong in west, Japan, China and middle east in particular and in Australia to some extent. Japanese are not ingrained with negative propaganda so our job is bit easy there.

A shitty country like Pakistan has invested a lot in anti India propaganda and successful in embarrass us from US to UK and middle east. Our government is unable to device a proper response. It is a weakness on our part. Why can't we have few vocal journalists on our pay roll. I give more credit to many Pakistanis like Tarek fatah, Arif ajakiya , Tahir gora etc who are exposing Pakistan and create very good impression of India. I think our government need to do a lot on this front.

Kumata

Country flag
It is not our BPO jobs. It is our weakness if a country like Vietnam gets preferable outsourcing compared to India. Vietnam deserves complement for that.
yup and being part of IT / ITES industry, I see it daily where i have to interact with vietanamese people.

In Nutshell Politicians / nehru sold our motherland to western world as snake charmer and what ever remained was sold by beaurocrats ...

remember first impression is last impression.. so while US and others were quick to realise our knowledge base and quick thinkers... our own people were let down by us.. remember many indians contributed to technology space in US ... silicon valley is dominated by us..,but we are still a thord world country...

People got frustrated with system... our IIT s and IIM s were producing future billionaires for US ...such is the system... with industry shifting from china, May be few will end up in india but that would be more out of complusion than anything else...trypically your backend processing jobs... manufacturing.. i dont see much ..may be 1 or 2 here and there...

Modi himself have to remind our sleeping beaurocracy of oppurtunity from china...no one knows if they heard it... they are busy getting memberships of gold club in lutyens delhi....

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Policy Frame Work:

To respond to any new situation, Quick response is very much essential. Our babus are very famous for their lethargy. In past, a gun factory was on sale. The quality of gun found to be excellent. Army send the proposal of same for take over to government. Babus took their own time and meanwhile the factory was sold. Like there is an opportunity to buy Embraer today, and many guys are drawing the attention of Government , the response should be quick.

Now, Many companies want to quite China and they are looking at India. We should immediately come up with new well coming policy to attract them. Government should make a body of senior policy makers to craft a policy to attract those companies in India. We are not China. The path of brutality which china took for its economic development is not suitable or feasible for India. We can not enslave our citizens and make them work hard without proper compensation. What we need is a big investment whether it is received from within or from outside. Therefore, we should well come these companies with open arms. More we respond properly and quickly, better are the chances to attract them in India. Give them incentive in terms of Land on long lease, Tax incentives, assurance of making electricity available , Security, access to roadways etc. This is a golden opportunity which should not be missed. If required , form a ministry for promotion of Investment etc with sufficient staff under some dynamic minister like Nitin Gadkari. All, those who wants to shift to India should be given a senior officer who will guide them through all technicalities and make their migration to India easy. A meeting of all chief ministers should be called and they should be asked friendly policies for the companies which wants to move to India.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I was talking about post covid opportunities for India and look how we did in vaccination. It is not just about selling vaccine but it is a huge power projection. US vaccine almost failed. Nobody uses Chinese vaccine except Chinese who do not have any option but to use it. European vaccine too costly and failed. It is the only one vaccine of India which is doing great. WHO president has praised it like anything. India has emerged as a savior nation which can bring world out of crisis. The way India managed Covid has won many praise across the world. This is not just a sale but a huge soft power projection. This has proved that India has a solution of many critical issues faced by world. Let me say that now world will take India seriously. We should take this opportunity to push our products for export which has a great potential. We should try yo replace china as the factory of the world. The stage is set. We should grab this opportunity. We must dominate Automobile, Cars and Trucks market, We should dominate PCB and Mobile market and make our presence felt in aviation as well along with strengthening our position in pharma. We need to take the advantage of vacuum created by exit of china. China is trying to move to high tech goods market from consumer goods and low tech goods where it is unlikely to success because of poor quality like China failed in Covid vaccine. This is a golden opportunity to overtake Chinese economy in one and half decade in PPP and in two decades in nominal.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Look at the OP I posted 8 months ago. How India has emerged as a winner in post Covid scenario. Today whole world is looking at us as a savior. Our soft power has shoot up like a rocket. Today, 22 countries have requested us for vaccine. Today, how India managed covid is a case study for many countries. Philippines want to adopt Dharavi model to fight with Corona. Post covid India Stands tall apart from others. The acceptance of Vaccine of India will bring many acceptances with Including Indian goods, Ser ices, Indian food , Indian medical treatment , Indian medicine and most important of all Indian manpower. We are all set to reap a long term advantage in every sphere because of the competence we saw in handling Chinese pandemic.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
22 countries have requested India for supply of Covid-19 vaccines: Harsh Vardhan
India has received requests for the supply of Covid-19 vaccines from 22 countries so far these have already been supplied to 15 countries, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said on Friday.
  • ANI
  • February 06, 2021, 07:45 IST

22 countries have requested India for supply of Covid-19 vaccines: Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: India has received requests for the supply of Covid-19 vaccines from 22 countries so far these have already been supplied to 15 countries, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said on Friday.

Replying to queries during question hour in Lok Sabha, the minister said the vaccines have been supplied both as grant assistance and contract doses.

"We have received requests for vaccine supply from 22 nations so far. Out of these, supply has already been made to 15 nations as grant assistance as well as contract doses. As of February 2, a total of 56 lakh doses has been given as grant assistance and 105 lakh as contracts doses," the minister said.

The government has given emergency use authorisation to two vaccines-- Covishield and Covaxin.

The minister gave the reply amid protest by opposition members over their demand for the repeal of three new farm laws.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
No Covid Deaths In Last 24 hours In 15 States, Union Territories: Centre
Over the last week, seven states and Union Territories have recorded no fatality, the Centre added.
All IndiaReported by Sukirti Dwivedi, Edited by Anindita SanyalUpdated: February 09, 2021 5:46 pm IST
by Taboola
Sponsored Links

Sponsored
Maximum Mumbai offers 1BHK Apartment @1.16Cr* All Incl with 0% Stamp Duty at Parel. (Ruparel Realty Nova)
BITS School of Management - Admissions Open MBA 2021 (BITS School of Management)

The vaccination programme in the country has entered its fourth week. (File)

New Delhi: Fifteen states and Union Territories have not reported any death due to COVID-19 in last 24 hours, the government said today, highlighting the weakening hold of the virus over the country. While the number of fresh daily cases has been on a steady decline, over the last five weeks, there has been a 55 per cent decline in the average daily deaths. In the last one week, seven states and Union Territories have recorded no fatality, the Union health ministry said.The seven states and Union Territories which reported zero deaths in the last week are Arunachal Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar, Tripura, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Nagaland, Mizoram and Lakshadweep.The figures of daily mortality per million population in India over the last seven days have been among the lowest in the world, said VK Paul of Niti Aayog."The number of cases (of Covid) is also falling. So that is good news. In the last 24 hours, no death was recorded in Delhi. So that is also good news," said Mr Paul.It is, however, important to continue with the precautions, he said, pointing out that the countrywide sero survey "tells us that over 70 per cent of our population is still vulnerable".

The national sero-survey has showed that 25 per cent people are carrying Covid anti-bodies -- a figure far below that of metros like Delhi and Mumbai. In Mumbai, the figure is more than 75 per cent.
In Delhi, the last sero-survey had indicated that the city is rapidly moving towards herd immunity, with one in two persons carrying Covid antibodies -- meaning at some point, they have been infected. The official number of infected people when the survey was completed was over 6.34 lakh.

Promoted
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com

The tapering fatality rate in the disease is showing a corresponding drop in daily surge and the number of active coronavirus cases. Over the last week, the number of fresh Covid cases per million population was 58 – the lowest in the world. Currently, the number of active cases is less than 1.50 lakh. The cumulative positivity rate is 5.35% and showing a decline as well.
5CommentsThe drop in coronavirus cases and Covid-linked mortality rate comes as the vaccination programme in the country entered its fourth week. Those who received the first shot of the vaccine on January 16 are expected to receive the booster dose on February 13.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
This covid pandemic has proved that we can respond to any exigency caused by any disaster may it be Pandemic, natural calamity or any disaster. We have shown our strength to rise to the occasion. We have proved that we can grab an opportunity arises out of unpredicted situation and encash it. This has boosted our impression like anything and we have emerged very strong. This situation has proved that we are a front runner in grabbing the opportunities arising out of uncertainty. I hope that we do equally well in grabbing the opportunities emerging from electricity storage and solar energy. These two sectors have a great potential in transforming the face of the world and bring the world to a next level. Our focus area in next decade should be Electricity storage, solar power and electronics, We are doing fairly good in Mobile manufacturing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles