Possible Treatment to Make Smoking Healthier for Lungs

xebex

Australian Study Finds Possible Treatment to Make Smoking Healthier for Lungs

Smokers might get a future reprieve on the damage that cigarettes do to their lungs. Australian scientists have successfully protected mice lungs against the inflammatory effects of smoking, which can lead to health problems such as emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). But the researchers still gave stern warning that this does nothing to alleviate cancer risks, The Register reports.

The mouse treatment works by blocking Granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) -- an agent in the lungs that causes inflammatory white blood cells to activate in response to cigarette smoke. Melbourne University researchers gave the anti-GM-CSF agent to half of a group of mice, and then dosed the entire lot with the equivalent of nine cigarettes of smoke daily for four days straight.

When the research group cut open the mice to examine their lungs, they found that the treatment had significantly cut down on lung inflammation.

Smokers might want to take a few grains of salt on this study before they start lighting up a celebratory stick. This study only worked in mice, and we're still a long ways off from any possible human treatment.

The scientists themselves also note that quitting still represents the best cure-all for what ails smokers, and that this approach does not do anything to reduce the risk of cancer -- but maybe hideous mole rats could eventually lead to a cancer cure.

Green-conscious folk might also consider that cigarettes have a not-inconsiderable impact on the environment.

Fortunately, worried smokers can already get themselves checked out for possible lung cancer, and might even consider using electronic cigs to kick the habit.

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...possible-treatment-smokings-effect-mice-lungs

Solid Beast

I recently quit after smoking for 6 years, and man I have smoked every plant material known to mankind and enjoyed every bit of it, so it was not an easy decision. I stopped because I was getting short of breath, even at rest I couldn't breathe properly. I don't know if you guys went through it but it seems yearly I would get bronchitis, and daily I would cough up nasty shit in the sink in the morning. Since I've quit my body is cleansing itself and I am coughing up pure tar and some blood for the past few days. It comes out looking dark brown, feels like a hairball in your throat and you kinda have to force it out. First time it happened I spit it in a tissue. 30 minutes later the damn stuff was hard as a rock. If you found this disgusting, you are smart and will never smoke. If you are already smoking, for the sake of all things sacred please stop. Guard your body, it's your temple. Drink bhang don't smoke it if you have to.

PS - vaporizers are BS.

xebex

^^^ Oops, glad that I never smoked and never will. My temple is for Beer only :D

Solid Beast

^^^ Oops, glad that I never smoked and never will. My temple is for Beer only :D
Amen to that man. Liquor & wine are also welcome to my temple.ssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh yeah, absolutely no drugs >>> dddddddddddddddddddd

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles