Porsche speeds up India expansion plan

Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-India-expansion-plan/articleshow/4356603.cms

Porsche speeds up India expansion plan

NEW DELHI: The economic sentiments may not be encouraging but that is not stopping German sports carmaker
Porsche to draw up expansion plans for
India. The company, that sells the Cayenne SUV and sports cars like the 911, Boxster and Cayman in India through the import route, plans to expand its presence across the country and increase dealerships
to 11 beyond the current Delhi and Mumbai outlets.

Rod Wallace, MD of Precision Cars India (official Porsche importer), said the company expected numbers from the Indian market to grow in the coming years as more and more people opened up to purchase of luxury brands. "India has a growing number of people who want to enjoy their success and are not shy of showing so by buying luxury cars," he said.

Porsche, whose cars cost between Rs 50 lakh and Rs 1 crore, sold 168 units in 2008 in India and hopes to increase the numbers to 200 units this year. "Our aim currently is not to go for volumes here but to increase our presence and network. The numbers will follow," Wallace said. The company is looking at expanding to new cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Cochin and Ludhiana.

Cayenne is the most popular brand for the company and forms around 70% of its total sales here. Going by the demand for the model, the company has decided to bring in the diesel variant of the SUV to the market that was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show recently.

"The Cayenne Diesel is intended primarily for the European market but we saw a tremendous demand for the car from all over India. This has prompted us to get it here," he said, adding that only 19 units of the model will be available for sale in 2009 considering its limited production numbers.

Porsche, that holds a major stake in Europe's biggest carmaker Volkswagen, sold 98,600 units globally in 2008. Asked if the company planned to assemble cars in India in view of the high duties on imports, he said there were no such plans. "We are a niche carmaker and manufacture them only in Germany
. So there are no plans to assemble the cars in India," Wallace said.

On the company's much-awaited 4-door model Panamera, that is due for unveiling later this month at the Shanghai Motor Show, he said around 50 units would also be reserved for sale in India. "Enquiries have already started flowing in on the Panamera and we expected a good response," he said.

Auberon

The economic sentiments may not be encouraging but that is not stopping German sports carmaker
Makes sense, Porsche operates in a very niche segment, don't think people who are contemplatin buying one would be too bothered about the recession as compared to those opting for B segment cars.

Porsche, whose cars cost between Rs 50 lakh and Rs 1 crore, sold 168 units in 2008 in India and hopes to increase the numbers to 200 units this year. "Our aim currently is not to go for volumes here but to increase our presence and network. The numbers will follow," Wallace said. The company is looking at expanding to new cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Cochin and Ludhiana.
Should be able to reach that volume with ease. Incidentially, Ludhiana boasts of the highest per capita ownerships of Mercs in the country, and there are limousines galore too. Recently on the roads Iv noticed a lot more Beemers and Audis too, mainly because Merc is now seen as too common and, while Beemer thought be sportier and Audi more of a statement, perhaps Porsche can capture the market next.

The Cayenne Diesel is intended primarily for the European market but we saw a tremendous demand for the car from all over India. This has prompted us to get it here," he said, adding that only 19 units of the model will be available for sale in 2009 considering its limited production numbers.
Not surprised, SUV's are traditionally seen to be masculine and a diesel engine adds to that image. Almost all successful SUV's/pseudoSUV's out here are diesel, with the notable exception of CRV. Plus, diesel is more affordable in running costs, though I don't know if that would be a primary criteria for the type of clientele Porsche is gunning for, still, there's a marked preference for diesels in large cars till the 150-200k bracket, no. of Skodas and Endeavours bear testimony to that, so perhaps its more to do with the mindset than the actual running cost.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
A welcome development indeed...

Though I personally prefer a luxury sedan (Merc-like) to something which is sporty (Porsche-like)....

Auberon

A welcome development indeed...

Though I personally prefer a luxury sedan (Merc-like) to something which is sporty (Porsche-like)....
I'd like one of each type.

Seeing as I have a spectacular financial plan of action in place, maybe I can easily afford them 237 years from now :clever66:

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
ROFLMAO !
Its my dream to own a Cayman in India or a 911 abroad....(yes yes..I know I have to sell my house to afford it..but I can just sleep in there or something..)

By the way, anyone seen the Panorama on the road ?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I've got a ride in a Phantom once.... I know, everybody is jealous now !!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles