Polavaram Project Status- Andhra Pradesh

Rxbanda

Country flag

Time-Line and Funds for Polavaram Project
The approved cost of the Polavaram Project in Andhra Pradesh is Rs. 16010.45 crore at 2010-11 price level. The irrigation component of the project is Rs.12294.40 crore. Central Assistance (CA) of Rs. 562.47 crore was provided for the project under AIBP upto 31st March, 2014.
After the project was declared a National Project, Ministry of Finance informed that it will provide 100% of the remaining cost of the irrigation component only, for the period starting from 01st April, 2014, to the extent of the cost of the irrigation component on that date. After this, CA of Rs. 3364.16 crore has been released for this project from 01st April, 2014 to 31st March, 2017. During 2017-18 CA of Rs. 979.36 crore has been released and another Rs. 1020.64 Cr. has been sanctioned.
The State Government has informed that they are taking all steps for timely completion of the project duly resolving all hurdles like pending land and R&R issues, finalization of designs, NH crossings, problems at work front etc. As informed by the Water Resource Department, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, the project is targeted to be completed by 2019.
This information was given by Union Minister of State for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and Parliamentary Affairs Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal in a written reply in Lok Sabha today.

Rxbanda

Country flag
The project is expected to be complete by December 2021.

The 2010-11 project estimate was Rs 16010 crores.
The cost of the Polavaram project is pegged at Rs 55,548.87 crore as per the second revised cost estimate done at 2017-18 price level, which has been accepted by the Jal Shakti Ministry.

The previous CM Chandra Babu Naidu said that the project is 70% complete. This was refuted by the YSRCP govt. formed in 2019.

The project report on 25th Feb 2019 says:
1587763397862.png

Rxbanda

Country flag
I am confused about this project. Initially it was scheduled to be finished by March 2018. What is the actual status and why is this project getting delayed?

Rxbanda

Country flag
I am confused about this project. Initially it was scheduled to be finished by March 2018. This was declared as a national project as part of AP reorganization act. But the Center wants to bear the funds at 2013-14 rates only. While the state government had submitted revised cost estimate of the project at Rs 55,548.87 crore at 2017-18 prices, the Technical Advisory Committee of Ministry of Water Resources in its meeting in February 2019 gave its approval only for Rs 27,081.62 crore.
So,
1) What is the actual status and why is this project getting delayed?
2) Why is BJP govt. not actively pursuing this project when this project will support irrigation of 7lakh hectares of land and provide drinking water to 500+ villages.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I am confused about this project. Initially it was scheduled to be finished by March 2018. This was declared as a national project as part of AP reorganization act. But the Center wants to bear the funds at 2013-14 rates only. While the state government had submitted revised cost estimate of the project at Rs 55,548.87 crore at 2017-18 prices, the Technical Advisory Committee of Ministry of Water Resources in its meeting in February 2019 gave its approval only for Rs 27,081.62 crore.
So,
1) What is the actual status and why is this project getting delayed?
2) Why is BJP govt. not actively pursuing this project when this project will support irrigation of 7lakh hectares of land and provide drinking water to 500+ villages.
The project is halted because of the current Govt. which has some tender issues. Center is financing the project though.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Polavaram is obviously an essential project for water security of andhra.

state has some funding issues even prior to Chinese virus, hopefully they get resolved and work starts again.

Rxbanda

Country flag
Polavaram is obviously an essential project for water security of andhra.

state has some funding issues even prior to Chinese virus, hopefully they get resolved and work starts again.
But its center sponsored right? Because after 2014 it is national project.

Illusive

Country flag
I rembember, I had edited a video for this Polavaram project which was supposed to presented to the CM then. It was plans for post dam construction area development projects. Back then I didn't knew how big this project is. There's resorts and 5/7 star hotel surrounding it, plus a huge film city kind of set. Theme parks, adventure sports etc.

Rxbanda

Country flag
I rembember, I had edited a video for this Polavaram project which was supposed to presented to the CM then. It was plans for post dam construction area development projects. Back then I didn't knew how big this project is. There's resorts and 5/7 star hotel surrounding it, plus a huge film city kind of set. Theme parks, adventure sports etc.
Yes. This project can be a game changer for AP.
1) It will massively support irrigation.
2) It will provide drinking water to lakhs of people.
3) It will generate electricity (hydroelectric power)
4) I read that it will also majorly boost tourism in the state.

The state government should have focused on it. Sadly, both the previous and current govt.s are distributing away so much wealth as freebies.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Yes. This project can be a game changer for AP.
1) It will massively support irrigation.
2) It will provide drinking water to lakhs of people.
3) It will generate electricity (hydroelectric power)
4) I read that it will also majorly boost tourism in the state.

The state government should have focused on it. Sadly, both the previous and current govt.s are distributing away so much wealth as freebies.
it’s ok, at some point realisation will Dawn that Polavaram is a necessity to increase state revenues and water to other parts of the state.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles