- Apr 23, 2020
I am starting this thread to discuss the status of the Polavaram project in Andhra Pradesh.
The project is halted because of the current Govt. which has some tender issues. Center is financing the project though.I am confused about this project. Initially it was scheduled to be finished by March 2018. This was declared as a national project as part of AP reorganization act. But the Center wants to bear the funds at 2013-14 rates only. While the state government had submitted revised cost estimate of the project at Rs 55,548.87 crore at 2017-18 prices, the Technical Advisory Committee of Ministry of Water Resources in its meeting in February 2019 gave its approval only for Rs 27,081.62 crore.
1) What is the actual status and why is this project getting delayed?
2) Why is BJP govt. not actively pursuing this project when this project will support irrigation of 7lakh hectares of land and provide drinking water to 500+ villages.
Yes. This project can be a game changer for AP.I rembember, I had edited a video for this Polavaram project which was supposed to presented to the CM then. It was plans for post dam construction area development projects. Back then I didn't knew how big this project is. There's resorts and 5/7 star hotel surrounding it, plus a huge film city kind of set. Theme parks, adventure sports etc.
it’s ok, at some point realisation will Dawn that Polavaram is a necessity to increase state revenues and water to other parts of the state.Yes. This project can be a game changer for AP.
1) It will massively support irrigation.
2) It will provide drinking water to lakhs of people.
3) It will generate electricity (hydroelectric power)
4) I read that it will also majorly boost tourism in the state.
The state government should have focused on it. Sadly, both the previous and current govt.s are distributing away so much wealth as freebies.