PM's expectations of India's Armed Forces

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will spell out his government's plans for and expectations from the three armed forces at his customary annual address to the senior most commanders of the Army, Navy and Air Force in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Coming at the backdrop of the deteriorating security scenario in the neighbourhood - especially in Pakistan and Afghanistan - the Prime Minister's speech will be keenly followed by the commanders responsible for implementing India's defence policy.

The Prime Minister is expected to reassure the forces that there would be no compromise on India's defence preparedness.

Manmohan Singh is also likely to outline India's immediate and medium-term defence policy with respect to China, Pakistan, Afghanistan and the internal security challenge posed by left wing extremism.

shownig that he is aware and taking action

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
He should be more worried about what is the Army's expectation from their PM.

VayuSena1

Professional

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will spell out his government's plans for and expectations from the three armed forces at his customary annual address to the senior most commanders of the Army, Navy and Air Force in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Coming at the backdrop of the deteriorating security scenario in the neighbourhood - especially in Pakistan and Afghanistan - the Prime Minister's speech will be keenly followed by the commanders responsible for implementing India's defence policy.

The Prime Minister is expected to reassure the forces that there would be no compromise on India's defence preparedness.

Manmohan Singh is also likely to outline India's immediate and medium-term defence policy with respect to China, Pakistan, Afghanistan and the internal security challenge posed by left wing extremism.

shownig that he is aware and taking action
In order to have expectations, there needs to be a mechanism of expanding, strengthening and augmenting the Indian Armed Forces in such a manner that there is never a shortage of supplies, training or logistical advantage to them.

I believe that before Dr. Singh is kind enough to read out his list of "expectations", he better consider improving the country's lethargic and rather backward indigenous defense industry at the same time ensuring that none of the tri-services ever face any shortcomings in the future.
This can be done if the government stops considering neighbourhood appeasement and moves on the collectively develop the nation both commercially as well as militarily.

Shortage of trainer aircraft, induction of new aircraft at a snail's pace, shortage of pilots, not-so-well-planned force management etc are some issues that Dr. Singh will have to answer before reading out his list of expectations from the military. A nation cannot be run on mere expectations; the right materials should be delivered at the right time in order to make your enemy think twice and preserve free democracy in its proper sense.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Perhaps we, the citizen of India should write down and send a list of our expectations of the Governtment. That will put things in perspective.

The Armed Forces are doing a commendable job with the resources at their disposal BUT we cannot say the same for the current Congress Government which does next to nothing other than sending dossier after dossier of evidence to Pakistan. I even think that the post/freight charges for sending them is a waste of tax-payer money.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Perhaps we, the citizen of India should write down and send a list of our expectations of the Governtment. That will put things in perspective.

The Armed Forces are doing a commendable job with the resources at their disposal BUT we cannot say the same for the current Congress Government which does next to nothing other than sending dossier after dossier of evidence to Pakistan. I even think that the post/freight charges for sending them is a waste of tax-payer money.
Come on Kommie! I am tired of explaining this Dossier thingy and I am sure you all must be tired of me explaining also! :D I am no Congress fan, But I am Proud of what My Government did after 26/11. They acted in a mature manner, and because of that, our Economy is doing good, and Pakistan is in Splinters with bomb blasts after blasts! Maybe the Paks should send Dossiers to the TTP :D

VayuSena1

Professional

And do you think that our chiefs haven't tried writing lines and lines of letter to Delhi again and again? As I said earlier, Indian democracy is a flawed democracy. People's rights end right before they even begin since they have no direct access to the supreme leader of the country i.e. the prime minister and rather need tens and hundreds of zamindar-incarnate MPs and MLAs. Your letter would be seeing only one way and that is inside the municipality trash can.

The next time people of India get a chance to elect, choose wisely and set the public demands in the field of commerce, industry and economy. Unlike the joke of voting in the previous general elections in early 2009, one must realize that voting alone won't give you a perfect government. Voting for the right part is what makes it essential. Rather than listening to the Party's agenda, form your own agenda and convey this to the requisite party. Otherwise, nothing will change and by the time we reach from 1 to 5, our geographical and political rivals would have crossed 20.

People living in ordinary cities just think that the borders are being defended magically by some guardian angels and their existence is something very obvious, without giving a damn for the military. Since we don't have a representation in the parliament, we can only communicate to the President and Prime Minister via our chiefs and naturally due to the needlessly long channels of communication, the news often disappears or gets twisted to something else. This election, people thoughtlessly preferred social development over national security and counter terrorism without understanding that the former cannot be enjoyed in peace without the latter's enhancement and rise.

It is important that unless the people of India are aware and want their country to rise, they must weigh their options well. That is why voting is only for those who are above 18 years of age.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Vayusena, You just said that the Channels of Communication between the Army Chief and the PM is long and that the Message gets lost in the channel. But I was thinking that the Army Chief has the Right to Call upon/Visit the PM/Minister of Defence without any Channels Involved and He can do this without much trouble.

The Army Chief knows the troubles of the Soldiers, and I say the Army,AF,Navy should stand their ground and demand that they be treated like they should be, and given what it needs to protect our Country.

Wishful thinking it might be, but the Change must start from somewhere.

Quickgun Murugan

People living in ordinary cities just think that the borders are being defended magically by some guardian angels and their existence is something very obvious, without giving a damn for the military. Since we don't have a representation in the parliament, we can only communicate to the President and Prime Minister via our chiefs and naturally due to the needlessly long channels of communication, the news often disappears or gets twisted to something else. This election, people thoughtlessly preferred social development over national security and counter terrorism without understanding that the former cannot be enjoyed in peace without the latter's enhancement and rise.
I do not understand. India has 30 billion usd in defence budget and it only increases every year. Is'nt that giving a damn to the armed forces? I am not supporting the government but why blame the corruption and ignorance part on them totally, when Military forces procurement are themselves not clean?

Does'nt the military forces and the intel wings have their say in the National security issues to the Home Minister? Which democratic country has their armed forces representing in parliament that India should allow that?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles