PM Modi Israel visit: India to soon get Heron TP armed drones; check images, facts and importance

WolfPack86

Country flag

Even as Narendra Modi creates history by becoming the first Indian PM to visit Israel, India is set to get 10 Heron-TP armed drones soon! Manufactured by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), the Heron-TP armed drones form part of a $400 million deal that was quietly cleared by the Defence Ministry in 2015. In 2016, India became a member of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), paving way for it to acquire the Heron-TP drones. We take a look at some salient features of the drones and what role they will play in India's defence preparedness:

The armed-versions of Heron-TP drones can detect, track and take down targets with the help of air-to-ground missiles.

The Heron-TP drones boast of all-weather capability and a "mission endurance" of around 30 hours.

According to IAI, the Heron-TP drone is capable of carrying a payload of over a tonne at an altitude of 45,000 feet. At Aero India 2017, IAI had showcased the MTCR-compliant Heron-TP XP drone - an export-variant of the Heron TP with broadly similar specifications. But, IAI has modified it to limit the payload to 450 kg.

"A large payload bay in the fuselage offers enough space for the carriage of large payloads and the platform provides adequate power and cooling to support simultaneous operation of multiple payloads," says IAI.

Payloads for Heron TP can include electro-optical, infra-red or laser range finders with "high power optics" that can conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations.

The Heron-TP drone is autonomous. It can be supervised by a single operator without any need for an external pilot.

With Heron-TP drones being acquired, India's defence preparedness against Pakistan and China will get a definite leg up. Says Air Vice Marshal Manmohan Bahadur VM (Retd), "Heron drones will reduce the sensor-to-shooter time greatly. With normal unarmed drones, you identify a target, but by the time you bring in a system to destroy it, the target has disappeared. Now, once the target is identified, it can be shot down immediately with the help of air-to-ground missiles." "Additionally, because it (the drone) doesn't have any pilot, there is no danger of casualty," Bahadur tells FE Online.
http://www.financialexpress.com/pho...rmed-drone-uav-features-defence-armed-forces/

rkhanna

Country flag
Again (As i mentioned on the other UAV thread on this drone)

- Outside of Indian publications parroting the same story. there is not a single sources that says that the Heron TP is armed.

Can somebody help me with this to prove me wrong?

Chinmoy

Country flag

- Outside of Indian publications parroting the same story. there is not a single sources that says that the Heron TP is armed.

Actually Israeli news paper themselves quoted Eitan to be armed and IAF too said that they have tested it with all shorts of payloads (now whatever that means).
http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/India-to-receive-armed-Heron-drones-from-Israel-486016

@AmoghaVarsha , if it has to use missiles, then most probably it would be using LAHAT which Israeli forces does use in a Air to Ground role.

Akshay Fenix

Country flag

Since we already can buy weapons n other things from Israel, I don't think anything will be announced tomorrow. It could be just a symbolic visit.

Country flag
We bought HARPY drones from Israel years ago. heron is a different function drone.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
If i am not wrong Israel had used the EITAN as armed drone?
Nothing in news till now for that. Its basically upgraded Heron which is used for surveillance. Additionally although it could act as target acquisition platform. Arming it is something which is only coming fore because of this India deal.

Tarun Kumar

Hurray, our predators are finally coming. Now we need a JV with Israel for mass producing these.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
If i am not wrong Israel had used the EITAN as armed drone?
The IDF does not comment on the arming of drones, but reports describe the Eitan also known as Heron TP being used for armed roles with missiles attached to wing hardpoints, as well as for target acquisition. They can be used for both reconnaissance as well as combat and support roles, and can carry air-to-ground missiles to take out hostile targets.

India has finalized a deal of 10 armed Heron TP (or Eitan) for $400 million. It will add to already existing fleet of unarmed Herons of Indian air force.

Check out the wing hardpoints. This is the export version named the Super Heron which we are most likely to get.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Nothing in news till now for that. Its basically upgraded Heron which is used for surveillance. Additionally although it could act as target acquisition platform. Arming it is something which is only coming fore because of this India deal.
I wonder if EITAN is armed and Israel is selling them to us why were we so desperate for American armed drones?

Something doesnt add up.

mayfair

I wonder if EITAN is armed and Israel is selling them to us why were we so desperate for American armed drones?

Something doesnt add up.
We were interested in Predators but apparently the then POTUS did not give the go ahead. So Herons it is.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
We were interested in Predators but apparently the then POTUS did not give the go ahead. So Herons it is.
I believe it was reported that Trump administration was also asked for Predators.

I wonder what is there in Predators that EItan doesnt have.

mayfair

I believe Predators are US tech, Heron and Eltan are Israeli products with key US technological inputs. Either way, neither can be transferred to India without explicit GOTUS approval.

smestarz

Country flag
We are getting the Guardian drone for Naval reconnaissance, which would go well with P-8 I that Indian navy uses.

Something doesnt add up.

airtel

Country flag

Something doesnt add up.
I believe it was reported that Trump administration was also asked for Predators.

I wonder what is there in Predators that EItan doesnt have.
upload_2017-7-4_0-7-6.png

^ here is a Post by Jerusalem post , this is armed drone .

India wants Predator C (Avenger) drone .............Which is a stealth drone (with internal weapon bays -4 hard-point ) with much more Advanced radars , Cameras & sensors & a jet Engine too .

pakis & may be even Chini radars can not detect it .

this is a highly advanced technology & they dont want to share it with Indians .

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles