PM Modi In USA 2021 - UNGA, in-person QUAD meeting

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
For these sequence of events to have a meaningful conclusion, might as well create a scholarship for racial & ethnic minorities in US to study in India. 20-30 years down the line whites are going to be in a minority in US anyways. Latino Hispanic are going to be in a majority.

our premier schools and colleges can easily accommodate thousand students per year outside of Delhi and mumbai.

You can’t teach religious tolerance with words and arguments, it can be learnt only thru life experiences.
said the above quote in different context, but them muricans know the strategic value of giving educational scholarships.

=======
Today, we are also launching a new Quad fellowship for students from each of our Quad countries to pursue advanced degrees in leading stem programs here in the United States, representing an investment in the leaders, innovators & pioneers of tomorrow: US President Joe Biden

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
said the above quote in different context, but them muricans know the strategic value of giving educational scholarships.

=======
Today, we are also launching a new Quad fellowship for students from each of our Quad countries to pursue advanced degrees in leading stem programs here in the United States, representing an investment in the leaders, innovators & pioneers of tomorrow: US President Joe Biden

What else has been announced for/from QUAD?

Gessler

Country flag
Sheeesh...the utter insecurity in some people on this thread!

And everyone is a body language expert & analyst!

Let me state a few things which, REGARDLESS of who comes & goes from office in EITHER country, won't change:

• The US cannot afford to alienate India at least for as long as the Chinese threat persists. If the strategic & geo-economic containment of China is to succeed, it cannot happen without coordinating a strategy with India. That's why QUAD still continues.
  • We as Indians should never, ever forget to prioritize. We mustn't forget who is the bigger, and more immediate enemy. Who is the one who poses an existential threat to India both militarily & economically? Who claims portions of sovereign Indian territory as their own? Who is building infrastructure over India-claimed territory without Indian permission? Sure isn't US. We should move with the single-point purpose to address the Chinese threat - in the world that emerges after China either goes USSR way (or worse), regardless of any alliances or not, India will emerge in a MUCH STRONGER position in the INDOPAC & Asia as a whole. THAT is the strategic goal. Anyone that we have to team up with, we must in order to achieve said goal, heck, if there's a time in future where Pakistan's & our strategic interests align (as in, kicking China out of Afg or PoK/Pak), we must be ready even to ally with Pakis. Keeping in mind Pak will be no match to India's military or economic might in the coming decades - China on the other hand, is a serious threat if its gets to make its own World Order.
  • People seem disappointed that India is not signing a Mutual Defence Agreement with US. Before whining, please ask yourself: Do we really want to sign something like that? Should we be obligated to fight in America's wars even against our own interests? Should we give up strategic autonomy? Because that's what MUTUAL defence means. Personally - I'm happy we are not painting ourselves into the same kind of corner we did when we got awful close to USSR in IG years. The level of Government infiltration the Soviets did was mind-boggling, had they not collapsed in '91 and could barely afford to feed themselves, it wouldn't have taken them long to turn India into a 'Satellite state' like Warsaw Pact puppets (which suffered greatly). Not signing on to any such agreements gives India a lot of strategic room - we can pick & choose the wars we fight. We maintain sufficient capability to defend our borders (and are able to procure from abroad things we need to do so). An alliance could actually limit our strategic options in the post-China world. For an aspirational Great Power, that won't be a nice place to be.
  • One thing we shouldn't forget - the period until the Chinese threat dissipates is as long as we have to independently address the Pakistani threat. Whether that includes de-nuclearization by forcing the world's hand (following any number of 'accidents' wrt their nuclear arsenal), or a slow & steady dissolution of Pakistan's intelligence & state machinery via targeted assassinations, or a sub-conventional proxy war resulting in Pak losing its hold over PoK/GB. If we fail to reshape the geopolitical scenario around J&K/PoK before the Chinese threat dissipates, we may never get to do so, as the West will immediately seek to use Pakistan to keep Indian influence under check. They will of course continue to do so even when Chinese threat is active, however like I said, we will have a lot more freedom to do as we please as long as the relative importance of India (toward the West's strategic goals in INDOPAC) is much greater than Pakistan's - which is a condition that will stay true till China is neutralized. But no one will tell you this - this is where diplomatic hardball comes into play.
Note that increasingly, when I say 'West' it just means US/UK & Anglosphere. The continental European strategic thought is likely to diverge greatly. In fact I believe the Powers-that-Be in the US system (some would call it Deep State) saw an opportunity in the Trump years to use his presidency as an excuse to begin the process of distancing themselves from the Eurocentrism that shaped US foreign policy & forward military posture for last 70+ years, and are beginning to shift toward an INDOPAC-centric policy & posture, in response to the main threat to US hegemony no longer being Russia, but China.

They have now decided to continue the abandonment of Eurocentrism into Biden's years. The non-inclusion of France & other NATO allies in the AUKUS (to the point of not even appraising them of the developments) is no coincidence. A somewhat similar perspective in this report:

Gessler

Country flag
A VP holding bilateral talks with a Chief Executive/Head of Govt of a foreign country:

1632498168125.png

I guess there's a reason they're calling it the "Biden-Harris administration", far as I know, the first time in US govt history such a tag has been made (correct me if wrong).

I'm guessing that's why Modi even tweeted "looking forward to meeting VP". I think everyone knows who is at least partly running things, or is being groomed to fully run things pretty soon.

Trump hota tho he would have said ' Along with PM Modi, I will work on eradicating radical islamic terrorism and against the atrocities of the Talibans in Afghan'. Miss those days :facepalm:
Okay...but what have those bashful statements actually translated into on the ground?

Had Trump launched drone strikes against terror camps in PoK?

The US does things the way it wants to - doesn't matter if there's a Statesman in the POTUS chair, or a Donkey.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles