Please do not post copyrighted content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Dear members,
We are getting served notices for breach of copyright. We request member not to post copyrighted content without permission from their respective owners.

Below is the latest we have received.

Dear Sir,

I'm the general manager of Army Recognition. You use illegally some of our pictures protected by international law copyright. As BMW X3 Special Forces and other of our pictures.
Contact us immediately before action by our lawyer.

Greetings.

Alain Servaes

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
This is not a proper copyright claim notice. It should identify the company, the key contact and the links to offending content.

NPPA: Advocacy: Using the DMCA Takedown Notice

Your Takedown Notice to the hosting ISP must meet certain requirements. Specifically, your notification must:

Be in writing;
Be signed by the you, as the copyright owner, or your agent (your electronic signature is sufficient);
Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed (or a list of infringements from the same site);
Identify the material that is infringing your work;
Include your contact information;
State that you are complaining in "good faith;"
State that, "under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in the notification is accurate;" and
State that you have the right to proceed (because you are the copyright owner or the owner's agent).
We should make it a forum rule not to post copyrighted content, if there isn't one already.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Do not post pictures that are copyright,or you have no permission to use them,.......if you're unsure,then don't post!,.leave the url for the website.

Use a host, imageshack, photobucket, submiturpics, flickr, tinypic, or any other of the many hosts out there.

Predator

Dear members,
We are getting served notices for breach of copyright. We request member not to post copyrighted content without permission from their respective owners.

Below is the latest we have received.
Ask him which images and in which thread they have been posted and then remove them

tension kay ko baba :taunt:

blanket ban on copyrighted content will lead to shutdown of whole forum

even articles that are posted from TOI and other news sites are copyrighted

sob

Mod
Country flag
Ask him which images and in which thread they have been posted and then remove them

tension kay ko baba :taunt:

blanket ban on copyrighted content will lead to shutdown of whole forum

even articles that are posted from TOI and other news sites are copyrighted
For that we are not supposed to post the full article and the link should be there to the original article.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The forum isn't responsible for member posts anyway as it is third party content. Army Reco would have to go after the member which is impossible. They can ask nicely for you to take it down but you are under no obligation to do so without a court order.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Lol I was going to upload a book in .pdf format named "The Radar Game" by Rebecca Grant which I received with a free F22 simulator game, but that book is copyrighted (copyright 1998). Now I can't upload it :noidea:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Oh, and if the content isn't hosted on DFI, then posting a hyperlink to it does not constitute copyright infringement. The host is the offending party. Posting a link to pictures doesn't qualify as hosting.

Aayush

Why the heck are they informing mods?
Inform the users,serve them a legal notice on a message board :taunt:

Aayush

^Most probably if we give a link to the original article,we'll be fine

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Since members are unable to make Edits after however many minutes it is, it places a burden on the admins to remove content. If this edit block was removed it will take away burdens on admins so members can be responsible for their own third party content. All requests to remove material should be directed to members as their posts are their responsibility under third party tort.

pmaitra

Since members are unable to make Edits after however many minutes it is, it places a burden on the admins to remove content. If this edit block was removed it will take away burdens on admins so members can be responsible for their own third party content. All requests to remove material should be directed to members as their posts are their responsibility under third party tort.
I think the edit block should be in place, so that people post responsibly. If one needs to delete a post, he can report it. Editing posts gives a member the opportunity to make a comment and then change it, and claim alibi.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Forum posts are the property of the poster. DFI has the right to moderate them but they are not the property of the forum. By cutting off edits they declare them their property then are liable for any infringement they contain. There is no disclaimer on DFI saying all posts are property of the forum so it is already a violation of members by not allowing them access to that property. They have a right to change it.

p2prada

I think the edit block should be in place, so that people post responsibly. If one needs to delete a post, he can report it. Editing posts gives a member the opportunity to make a comment and then change it, and claim alibi.
I remember one particularly annoying incident.

Anyway can mods edit their own posts or do they have to ask other mods to edit their posts?

p2prada

Forum posts are the property of the poster. DFI has the right to moderate them but they are not the property of the forum. By cutting off edits they declare them their property then are liable for any infringement they contain. There is no disclaimer on DFI saying all posts are property of the forum so it is already a violation of members by not allowing them access to that property. They have a right to change it.
DFI isn't a democracy. It is a dictatorship. Somethings are allowed and somethings are not. :p

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Anyway can mods edit their own posts or do they have to ask other mods to edit their posts?
Mods can edit their posts at any time. I remember one annoying instance where it couldn't keep it straight.

p2prada

I remember one annoying instance where it couldn't keep it straight.
For me it was very early on. Actually there were two such incidents. I think both happened in 2009 or 2010. Ah! Well. We gotta live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles