Playing Far Cry 2 while the world goes to hell

Sailor

Hey this forum is getting in the way of me playing Far Cry 2. Every time I want to go back to my game I get engrossed back into the forum. How about a forum holiday once a week so that we can play without worrying?

Far Cry 2 might just be the solution we are looking for with the Taliban. It would be really a lot cheaper than all the expenditure on military hardware.
Just to give every Taliban fighter a computer with a physx capable CPU and the DVD and let them get on with it.
They get to do all the shooting they want and will forget about dumb terrorist stuff.

Best game I ever played. Cant stop playing the bloody thing. Help!

vish

Far Cry 2 might just be the solution we are looking for with the Taliban. It would be really a lot cheaper than all the expenditure on military hardware.
Just to give every Taliban fighter a computer with a physx capable CPU and the DVD and let them get on with it.
They get to do all the shooting they want and will forget about dumb terrorist stuff.
I'll second that; I have always wondered what Hitler/Stalin/Mao would have done if they had access to strategy/city-building/world-building video games.

Sailor

Yeah Vish. There is a big debate whether video war games are good or bad.
I know that I love throwing a hand grenade into a room and then spraying it with a sub machine gun. This doesn't make me want to become a Taliban. On the contrary, I think it gives you the level of violence we want without leaving your computer room.
On the lead up to WW1 and WW2 here in Australia, young guys 'left the farm' to go on the 'great adventure'. Now you can do it with a good video card and monitor.

Sailor

Just got to 'part 2 after playing for three weeks.
If anyone has played this game they will know about the pitfalls of not saving your game.
One gets so engrossed in the game that it is easy to forget to save.
Unlike other games, when you finish a mission there is no automatic save in the whole game.
You get zapped right back to where you started if you forget.

dave lukins

Professional
Hey this forum is getting in the way of me playing Far Cry 2. Every time I want to go back to my game I get engrossed back into the forum. How about a forum holiday once a week so that we can play without worrying?

Best game I ever played. Cant stop playing the bloody thing. Help!

Somewhere there just has to be an OFF switch:wink:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I have the game but haven't played it. Heard that the game requirements are really high. Not sure if my poor laptop can take it. :(

Besides, I've played Far Cry (the original), and I didn't really like it all that much. It's just a run of the mill FPS game with exceptional graphics.

Sailor

I played the original Far Cry over and over. You do need good gear. I'm using a Geforce 8800 GT video card and a dual core 4600 CPU and 2Mb of ram.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Wow! My laptop has a Radeon HD 2600, 1.66GHz Core 2 duo and 2 GB ram, might be able to play it at low settings though. I like playing RPG games, which are very few and far between. My fav games are The Witcher, Gothic (I, II, III), Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, and Warcraft III. FPS games have very shallow gameplay, IMO, all you have to do is point and shoot.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I'm happy with Company of Heroes...

Country flag
Wow! My laptop has a Radeon HD 2600, 1.66GHz Core 2 duo and 2 GB ram, might be able to play it at low settings though. I like playing RPG games, which are very few and far between. My fav games are The Witcher, Gothic (I, II, III), Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, and Warcraft III. FPS games have very shallow gameplay, IMO, all you have to do is point and shoot.
my favorite is Riddick escape from butcher bay on Xbox, currently Gears of war 2 on PS3 is another favorite

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
my favorite is Riddick escape from butcher bay on Xbox, currently Gears of war 2 on PS3 is another favorite
You have both Xbox 360 and PS3? Must have cost a fortune! I'm a PC gamer, can't afford consoles or console games. ;)

Although, I do miss playing Mortal Kombat on the PC. :(

Country flag
You have both Xbox 360 and PS3? Must have cost a fortune! I'm a PC gamer, can't afford consoles or console games. ;)

Although, I do miss playing Mortal Kombat on the PC. :(
yes as well as PS2 and XBOX 360 these are mine my Kids also have their own separate systems, I love video games.

Su-47

yes as well as PS2 and XBOX 360 these are mine my Kids also have their own separate systems, I love video games.
Now thats what i call addiction to video games!

I have an Xbox 360. I love playing Bad Company on it. an absolutely awesome game. Good humor, nonstop action, destructible environment and some awesome weapons and vehicles. everything needed for an awesome action game. a little too easy though. Haven;t finished it yet. I have exams, so i have given it a break.

My PC is a little outdated, but is still got Red Alert 3 for it. Another good strategy game. I have to play it on low graphic settings, but still looks awesome.

I need to upgrade my PC.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Su-47, if you like strategy games, have you tried Age of Empires III or Civilization 4? Especially the second one, it has so much depth of gameplay!

Su-47

Su-47, if you like strategy games, have you tried Age of Empires III or Civilization 4? Especially the second one, it has so much depth of gameplay!
I haven't tried either. I'm not such a computer game person. I buy like three or four games a year. I actually started buying a few games in quick succession only after i got my xbox.

I love strategy games though. They are much more satisfying for me than some mindless shooting games like Doom 3 or Prey.

Thanks for the suggestion mate, but its hard to get games cheaply here in Botswana. Very few games come here, and those that come are bloody expensive. Some Xbox games like far Cry 2 cost close to $80 (converted). I can't pay that much for games, so i usually get them when my family, or friends go to SA.

Sailor

After another several weeks [lost count] I have gotten to level three of the game.[final level]
I want to say that using a PPU [PHYSX PROCESSING UNIT], the most spectacular thing I have ever seen in any game ever is the effect of using a grenade launcher to blowup a technical [truck with 50 cal mount] and in so doing set fire to the surrounding grass and tree tops. Unbelievable!

Su-47

Sailor, i recommend you play Battlestations:Midway. Its a pretty old game (Early 2007 release), but absolutely awesome, and i think anyone with interest in WW2 or navies will enjoy it tremendously. The pic in your signature is a very good indicator of what the game is like.

Also, try Battlestations: Pacific, the sequel to Midway. The PC version of Pacific will release shortly. Xbox version out already.

You can read up more info on it here:

Battlestations: Midway Review for PC - GameSpot

Battlestations: Pacific Review for Xbox 360 - GameSpot

Su-47

No. Just the regular Xbox 360 controller. I have never used a flight controller..

Sailor

I have the Saitek two piece flight control system for my flight simulation games.
I had better do a thread on this gear.Next job.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles