Physical strength of our armymen

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Could anyone( I see lot of defense personnel here and who are experts) tell us about physical strength of our armymen? I mean we have some benchmark for tests passing which , a candidate joins army. So what are these benchmarks? How do they compare with rest of world? Does time given for our candidates to complete their run on par with US and China? What is physical standard of our armymen, do they meet with US and China? It is said that Indians are brave and tough fighters but do not have strong physique and are shorter. Is it true? Does our army suffer from lack of men who have great physique.

Will be extremely grateful if someone could throw light on parameters of physical training( along with US and China parameters). Please understand that I am complete novice so far as training is concerned.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
What is physical standard of our armymen, do they meet with US and China?
I think this is current for US Army. The link shows tables based on age for men and women.

Soldiers are required to take a physical fitness test at least twice per year. There are three events which are measured: push-ups, sit-ups, and a timed two-mile run. Soldiers are required to score a minimum of 60 points on each event (50 points per event in order to graduate Army Basic Training). The Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) scores are also used in the Army Enlisted Promotion System.
Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)

I hate running, it makes me vomit.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Pratap, Can you please elaborate what kind of Physique you are referring that other countries`s soldiers ? , I am not aware of physical training that other countries solider get, Can you also shed light on it too..

@Twinblade

Last edited by a moderator:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Pratap, Can you please elaborate what kind of Physique you are referring that other countries`s soldiers ? , I am not aware of physical training that other countries solider get, Can you also shed light on it too..

@Twinblade
Sir, I do not know it at all and that is why I have opened this thread. WG Ewald who seems to have served in army of USA gave us a chart for male and female soldiers based on age( they have to run two miles and if a male runs it in 16 mins he gets a score of 60) . This gives us an idea of their training. Could you please provide same for Indian soldiers?

By physique, I meant height and weight and it seems that our soldiers lack height. Now I do not know if this is shortcoming or advantage( my layman attitude is that one should have strong physique to be good soldier) so how do we compare with Western armymen in all this?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Sir, I do not know it at all and that is why I have opened this thread. WG Ewald who seems to have served in army of USA gave us a chart for male and female soldiers based on age( they have to run two miles and if a male runs it in 16 mins he gets a score of 60)
Min score is 60 for each event so min for APFT is 180. Max score is 300.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Thank you for the response. What do you think about differences in height and physique of US and Indian soldiers? Does that make great difference?
Indian soldiers might be shorter and weigh less than US Army guys, but I would bet they would score higher on AFPT. Every US military base has a McDonalds.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In BPT ( Battle Physical test ) 5Km has to be completed within 30mins, People do it in 20 ..

BPT is conduct once in 2 to 3 months in an Unit ..

========================

In IA average Height is 5 feet 7 inches, To much height is not good in combat most of the tall guys made into MP ( Military Police ) or for Parades and other ceremonial conducts ..

( they have to run two miles and if a male runs it in 16 mins he gets a score of 60) . This gives us an idea of their training. Could you please provide same for Indian soldiers?

By physique, I meant height and weight and it seems that our soldiers lack height.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
In IA average Height is 5 feet 7 inches, To much height is not good in combat most of the tall guys made into MP ( Military Police ) or for Parades and other ceremonial conducts ..
That reminds me that I enlisted for Infantry. After Basic Training I was sent to MP School. When I asked why, I was told, "you're tall and look good in your uniform." :rolleyes: Was in a few parades, too, and they were a lot of work.

The short guys ended up in tanks or were paratroopers.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
In BPT ( Battle Physical test ) 5Km has to be completed within 30mins, People do it in 20 ..

BPT is conduct once in 2 to 3 months in an Unit ..

========================

True ..But Sir ..One we attend AF Selection in Thanjavur early 2012 .The PFT includes 1600 meters in 5min ..but there most of them finished nearly 4 min ..But the Selection committee selects the First 10 Peoples ..about the Heights they will say 160cm if more crowd means it will increased ..!!!

mikhail

Country flag
True ..But Sir ..One we attend AF Selection in Thanjavur early 2012 .The PFT includes 1600 meters in 5min ..but there most of them finished nearly 4 min ..But the Selection committee selects the First 10 Peoples ..about the Heights they will say 160cm if more crowd means it will increased ..!!!
Mate can i ask you a personal question(feel free not to give a reply if you feel uncomfortable).You are a Jewish person,so do you want to serve in the I.D.F.(i mean Israel allows any Jewish person to serve in their defense forces),so is it possible for you to be an Indian citizen and still serve in I.D.F. at the same time or do you have to take the Israeli citizenship?(i am quite curious about this and as you are the only Indian of Jewish background hence i am asking you this)

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Mate can i ask you a personal question(feel free not to give a reply if you feel uncomfortable).You are a Jewish person,so do you want to serve in the I.D.F.(i mean Israel allows any Jewish person to serve in their defense forces),so is it possible for you to be an Indian citizen and still serve in I.D.F. at the same time or do you have to take the Israeli citizenship?(i am quite curious about this and as you are the only Indian of Jewish background hence i am asking you this)
The truth is is I'm not a Jewish ..

mikhail

Country flag
The truth is is I'm not a Jewish ..
Ohh my bad:shocked: i used think that you were a Jewish person,anyway do you know if it's possible for an Indian(person having a Jewish background) to be a part of the I.D.F.?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Ohh my bad:shocked: i used think that you were a Jewish person,anyway do you know if it's possible for an Indian(person having a Jewish background) to be a part of the I.D.F.?
Yes 100% ..If you want to be a Part of IDF you Should be a Jewish But don't worry about Your Nation ..If you are an Arab you should be a Israeli by Birth.

I was Interacted with some Jews in Mattencherry Cochin .Most of them migrated into Israel right now only less than 100 peoples there ..Most of the Migrated Peoples in Israel right now in Major Political Party Likud and some of them in IDF

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In PFT there are variation in ranges for running so does time limit,

A lot of things go south in recruitment process at BRO, I am well aware of these things ..

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Sir, I do not know it at all and that is why I have opened this thread. WG Ewald who seems to have served in army of USA gave us a chart for male and female soldiers based on age( they have to run two miles and if a male runs it in 16 mins he gets a score of 60) . This gives us an idea of their training. Could you please provide same for Indian soldiers?

By physique, I meant height and weight and it seems that our soldiers lack height. Now I do not know if this is shortcoming or advantage( my layman attitude is that one should have strong physique to be good soldier) so how do we compare with Western armymen in all this?
Any one who has 5'10" is considered as a good height and apt through out the world. Indian soldiers do have this height.

Height higher than 6 ft is not desirable during combat because they are vulnerable for shooting.

You can watch Indo - US combat exercises in the below video, our soldiers are second to none in bravery or skill set.

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Indian Army officers and soldiers are very well trained and they are trained to serve in any terrain .

Note : They are good in hand to hand combat. :salute:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles