Pentagon seeks $3B for Pakistan military

johnee

his father was a fundemental muslim and he has lived in pakistan with his stepfather I think this could have influenced him greatly?
really?!!
then maybe you are right. just like that aussie PM loves chicoms.

Pintu

I think US still sees pak as a counterbalance to india
Some times ago at the Late Bush era, I have felt it is a matter of past, but only found that 'ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny'.

Pintu

I don't respect or honor this Bandar he has made the US economic position worst and will be the president to help USA lose the war in afghanistan, there is very little to like about him, and his tax policies are a complete disaster and failure punishing the higher income earners while rewarding the unproductive leeches of society
I feel your sentiments against the US president, but I am just talking my point but not to hurt you. I was talking about his personal character, nor his policies, the way he was going he could become one of the Unpopular president for the USA.

johnee

Some times ago at the Late Bush era, I have felt it is a matter of past, but only found that 'ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny'.

exactly, in the late bush era, we could feel that there was dehypenation between pak and india as far as US was concerned. but once this genius came to power we are stuck with double hypenation:afghanistan-pak-india.

Triton

Founding Member
US Senate okays $4bn increase in aid to Pakistan Money will be used to train and equip Pakistan Army

WASHINGTON: The US Senate voted on Wednesday to boost aid to Pakistan by $4 billion next year.

As the US lawmakers continued work on a $3.5 trillion budget blueprint for the upcoming fiscal year, Senator John Kerry, a Democrat, won adoption of a $4 billion increase next year in aid to Pakistan, a key ally in the war on terror.

Earlier, the Associated Press had reported that the Obama administration plans to seek as much as $3 billion over the next five years to train and equip Pakistan’s military and is considering sending 10,000 more troops to battle the Taliban in Afghanistan.

In outlining the spending programme publicly for the first time, defence officials told the Senate Armed Services Committee it is critical to train and equip the Pakistanis so they have the skills and will to fight.

With the administration’s backing, their bill would provide $1.5 billion next year, linked to Pakistan’s counterterror and democracy-building efforts, officials said.

Defence and other administration officials spoke about the spending plans on condition of anonymity because the specific budget requests have not been released.

Also on Wednesday, senators questioned Gen David Petraeus, who heads the US Central Command, and Undersecretary Michele Flournoy over the possible deployment of 10,000 more troops to Afghanistan.

Petraeus said he had forwarded the proposed increase to the Pentagon. That plan could mean stationing almost 80,000 American forces in the country by next year. Currently 38,000 US troops are in Afghanistan.

Lawmakers asked why the extra brigade and headquarters unit requested by Gen David McKiernan had not yet been approved by President Barack Obama.

Flournoy said Obama is aware of the request, but was told he does not have to consider it until late this year because the additional troops will not be needed until next year.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles