PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

cannonfodder

Country flag
Thermal Paste it is then
That post is 4 years honestly, dont know if anything has changed wrt to liquid paste. I was doing research on DIY build last year and I have pretty much lapped all good tech utubers (GamerNexus, Jay2Cent, TechDeals etc); none of them fuzzed about using liquid paste for desktop PC's. Only thing I remember is that one person mentioned using Grizzly pad instead of thermal paste, because removing CPU and benchmarking is cleaner process when trying different cpu (there is no cleaning involved with that product, its like thin sheet of cloth that goes between heat sink and CPU).

Other than that people fuss about the amount and method of application of paste like cross and single point application at the center of the chip. I had used cross thermal paste application after watching several videos; it looked simple to execute. :tongue2:

Shredder

Country flag
Sir can you suggest a good thermal paste/liquid metal?
I usually play CSGO and GTA 5 and temps reach to 90 something degrees.
I have to limit it from exceeding 80 degrees but that hampers performance and frames drop drastically.
I need temps below 80.
Please don't call me sir :)
Thermal paste is enough, liquid metal is overkill, Noctua NT-H1 is one the best I have used (Better than Arctic series imho). Bit pricy, but absolutely wonderful TIM.
Available on Amazon.in too.

Last edited:

Shredder

Country flag
Bit offtopic: Suggestions for a reliable and vfm cloud storage for around 4TB of data?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Bit offtopic: Suggestions for a reliable and vfm cloud storage for around 4TB of data?
Get a VPS and add volume storage but it may be expensive.
Most cloud storage service provider like Google One provides up to 2 T.B.

Shredder

Country flag
Thought of just getting another 4TB drive as a backup one which won't be used except for a one-time backup. Cheaper and no yearly renewls.

SKC

Country flag
Google is restricting to 1 TB only in free model from June I think. If you already using more than 1 TB then you need to buy plans or get rid of extra data used.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Google is restricting to 1 TB only in free model from June I think. If you already using more than 1 TB then you need to buy plans or get rid of extra data used.
I think google only provides 15 G.B. in free model. Anything More you have to pay.

Thought of just getting another 4TB drive as a backup one which won't be used except for a one-time backup. Cheaper and no yearly renewls.
All cloud solutions will be monetized on subscription model. You won't get any reliable/trusted brand on one time fee.

If you want for backup why not buy 5 T.B. Seagate Drive.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Sorry to ask question here but i wanted to ask like in windows os in file explore one can see different drives like c/d/e/f .Its there some equivalent in linux OS/ubuntu .I mean you open file explore in linux OS and one can see different drives

Tuco

Country flag
Sorry to ask question here but i wanted to ask like in windows os in file explore one can see different drives like c/d/e/f .Its there some equivalent in linux OS/ubuntu .I mean you open file explore in linux OS and one can see different drives
Linux file structure is a bit different, they don't assign alphabets they have drive names. You should be able to see it.

Sanatani

Country flag
Guys any suggestions about a vfm office Laptop. If possible would like to avoid made/assembled in China products

Narasimh

Country flag
Guys any suggestions about a vfm office Laptop. If possible would like to avoid made/assembled in China products
I think except for Fujitsu laptops most others are Chinese made or assembled.

Physx32

Country flag
Linux doesn't use alphabets for showing partitions. The OS itself has a main partition mounted at root, "/". All other partitions can be mounted under /. Removable media like pen drives and external HDDs may appear under /media. For example, you can install the OS on an SSD, so the entire SSD will be mounted at /. Then you can mount HDDs (they'll show as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2) under the root partition with any directory name you like (like games, movies).

SKC

Country flag
If there is no alternative then its ok to go for Assembled or made in China ones. 99% of laptops are made in China.
Try Acer they might be assembled in Taiwan instead.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Alderlake coming up, We will see very good competition next year.

Initial Tech information and benchmarks are coming good from Tech reviewers. Exciting times next year, AMD will be under some pressure with Intel pushing Performance and efficiency cores.

Physx32

Country flag
Alderlake coming up, We will see very good competition next year.

Initial Tech information and benchmarks are coming good from Tech reviewers. Exciting times next year, AMD will be under some pressure with Intel pushing Performance and efficiency cores.

These new Intel chips will consume as much power as a gpu at full load (250 W). Intel should change name from Alder lake to Boiling lake lol.

cannonfodder

Country flag
These new Intel chips will consume as much power as a gpu at full load (250 W). Intel should change name from Alder lake to Boiling lake lol.
GPU's power consumption are different issue and mainly dominated by Nvidia/AMD parts. Intel is working on power consumption with efficiency core at CPU side & keeping performance cores to give higher gaming performance on newer 10nm node, please elaborate what you are saying if I missed anything. If Intel gets close to AMD performance and power efficiency it will very good for consumers with right price and it seems like they are closing the gap on AMD with alder lake. I heard some benchmarks are better than 5950x on higher end CPU's.

Between Intel is also entering GPU market with RTX 3060 level performance and its just spooking Nvidia because of laptop clout it has over OEMS. Nvidia is generally bad to work with regarding integrating mobile GPU's. This is what is talked about on Moores law is dead channel

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles