PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

cannonfodder

Country flag
The gains chart they displayed were marginal, they are saying 26% gains but I am a sceptic . Let's wait for the benchmarks by reviewers. I hopped for some price drops 😅.
Actually gains are significant compared to year to year gains what have seen from atleast 5 years. Single core benchmarks has gone past intel flagship the only thing AMD was lagging, now they will milk the DIY market totally, intel is nowhere. OEMS and server market will no longer be able to ignore AMD chips.

I see what AMD will do.. this is Zen 2 re-architectured with cache changes/optimizations to get 19% ipc gain on same 7nm node. It will bring an 7nm enhanced node later on same architecture and get another 100mhz bump in boost clocks 7-8 months down the line (5GHz achieved).

Cons: Increase in price + no cpu coolers on 5800x etc... :(.

Tuco

Country flag
Actually gains are significant compared to year to year gains what have seen from atleast 5 years. Single core benchmarks has gone past intel flagship the only thing AMD was lagging, now they will milk the DIY market totally, intel is nowhere. OEMS and server market will no longer be able to ignore AMD chips.

I see what AMD will do.. this is Zen 2 re-architectured with cache changes/optimizations to get 19% ipc gain on same 7nm node. It will bring an 7nm enhanced node later on same architecture and get another 100mhz bump in boost clocks 7-8 months down the line (5GHz achieved).

Cons: Increase in price + no cpu coolers on 5800x etc... :(
AMD will become another Intel, unless Intel has a rabbit hidden. My personal opinion is that if AMD monopolies the market consumer will have to pay more and more finally back to as it was. We need a strong Intel to make good builds affordable. Hopefully now Intel will give us some markdowns.

I am expecting big Navi to be on par with/slightly lower to 3800 and is priced lower. Same strategy they followed for ryzen.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Cons: Increase in price + no cpu coolers on 5800x etc... :(.
Yeah, but there was a time intel used to sell its processors @2000$ which is now around 500$, AMD's flagship gaming CPU is still cheaper when we compare it to Intel's flagship gaming CPU some 4 years ago.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Yeah, but there was a time intel used to sell its processors @2000$ which is now around 500$, AMD's flagship gaming CPU is still cheaper when we compare it to Intel's flagship gaming CPU some 4 years ago.
That is definitely an plus because AMD was underdog it had to disrupt pricing and tech. Now it may follow intel strategy to milk: I am still good with $50 increase in CPU pricing in those categories (5800x+). Just want intel to be there around AMD performance 1-2 years later so that AMD also does not start doing an Intel. Between don't see intel to catch up in desktop untill 2021-2022.

jadoogar

Country flag
Rather than correcting their own system they are...

Did you try resetting win10 to a fresh install. That option is there in the settings app. You can leave your data files untouched if you so desire.

A chauhan

Country flag
Did you try resetting win10 to a fresh install. That option is there in the settings app. You can leave your data files untouched if you so desire.
It's common in all of my windows 10 installations, so I have started to use win 7 on my home pc. But office pc is still using win 10 and almost always 100%hdd usage...🥺🥺

Troubleshoot and workarounds are understandable in Linux but the same is not expected in Windows.

Last edited:

cannonfodder

Country flag
It's common in all of my windows 10 installations, so I have started to use win 7 on my home pc. But office pc is still using win 10 and almost always 100%hdd usage...🥺🥺

Troubleshoot and workarounds are understandable in Linux but the same is not expected in Windows.
In task manager, are you sure any windows process is using the disk resources or some malicious program?

A chauhan

Country flag

jadoogar

Country flag

Download the Autoruns utility. It will tell you what programs are configured to start up automatically. May help, especially if some unsigned or otherwise suspicious program is scheduled to run at startup. The program is by Microsoft (Mark Russinovitch). I think that 15+ years ago MR wrote these utilities that became quite popular and were acquired by Microsoft.

Be careful if disabling any of those programs from running at startup. Unless you know what you are doing the system could become unstable or unbootable/unusable.

Tuco

Country flag
I checked out couple of vendors in Amazon and primeabg fuckers are selling 3080 at double msrp. 119000 should actually cost around 65k. Don't have any ethics

cannonfodder

Country flag
I checked out couple of vendors in Amazon and primeabg fuckers are selling 3080 at double msrp. 119000 should actually cost around 65k. Don't have any ethics
Very disappointed with prime day. Nothing on B550 and Zen 2 price drop. :tongue:

@A chauhan probably change hard drive, saw lot of price drops on SSD/Nvme (Nand devices) will price drop more by end of year.

jadoogar

Country flag
Very disappointed with prime day. Nothing on B550 and Zen 2 price drop. :tongue:

@A chauhan probably change hard drive, saw lot of price drops on SSD/Nvme (Nand devices) will price drop more by end of year.
With task manager showing 100% busy on the drive he needs to change from SSD to HDD :). HDDs can take a lot lot more read/write cycles than SSDs. I think that continuous read/write may not even be a failure point with HDDs unless the machine is parking the heads every few min - (this is not normal). So continuous read/write should not damage a running HDD.

cannonfodder

Country flag
With task manager showing 100% busy on the drive he needs to change from SSD to HDD :). HDDs can take a lot lot more read/write cycles than SSDs. I think that continuous read/write may not even be a failure point with HDDs unless the machine is parking the heads every few min - (this is not normal). So continuous read/write should not damage a running HDD.
I don't think he will like going from SSD to HDD. I had HDD as boot drive on 2011 laptop and changing to SSD as boot drive is huge difference, just my personal preference. Since, SSD may be getting big price drop may be upgrading and trying fresh win install may help him.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Laptops should become as upgradable as the desktops
Alienware laptops are upgradable swapable CPUs , Ram , LCD/Led and even the entire Motherboard

SKC

Country flag
Intel 11th Gen cpu with integrated graphics is already turning heads, in laptop offcourse . For desktop it's AMD. I am waiting for amd gen 5, hopefully we get prize drops through out the offerings, I want to build with ryzen 7 and 30 when I can get my hands on it.

looks like stealing Raja Koduri from AMD is paying off for Intel in GPU department. GPU has always been Intel's Achilles Heals.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Bought lg gl850.
Actually I did pick up some parts: DDR4 memory and Nvme SSD 1TB in anticipation of the build.
But was hoping of preview of price drops on zen 2 price which did not happen, 3700x and 3600 are still selling like hot potatoes.

looks like stealing Raja Koduri from AMD is paying off for Intel in GPU department. GPU has always been Intel's Achilles Heals.
AMD is going ahead in right direction in gpu market as well, based on "moores law is dead" channel, most certainly AMD will challenge rtx 3080 and will be much more power efficient (not as good in ray tracing though). They seem to be even fancying to go about 20% lower than 3090 with 6900 XTX (80 CU part). This is desktop story.

Seems like AMD fan boy stuff but getting same info from couple of tech channels.. will be interesting to see once they integrate navi on laptop parts and that most likely will happen with zen 3 architecture coming to laptops machines.

A chauhan

Country flag
Actually I did pick up some parts: DDR4 memory and Nvme SSD 1TB in anticipation of the build.
But was hoping of preview of price drops on zen 2 price which did not happen, 3700x and 3600 are still selling like hot potatoes.

AMD is going ahead in right direction in gpu market as well, based on "moores law is dead" channel, most certainly AMD will challenge rtx 3080 and will be much more power efficient (not as good in ray tracing though). They seem to be even fancying to go about 20% lower than 3090 with 6900 XTX (80 CU part). This is desktop story.

Seems like AMD fan boy stuff but getting same info from couple of tech channels.. will be interesting to see once they integrate navi on laptop parts and that most likely will happen with zen 3 architecture coming to laptops machines.
Actually Ryzen 5000 series will be available from 5th Nov in the market, you can expect 3000 series price drops from then.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well it will be i guess in next 4-5 months.
Well they will not be expensive Older series laptops will get fazed out and in the same price range you will see laptops with newer chip.
Whats amd mobile processor ???? how are they different from others processor in amd

Global Defence

New threads

Articles