Parsi woman who married a Hindu can't perform her parents' last rites

ejazr

Ambassador
Is anybody aware of Parsi religious rulings and wether this story is true? Do you really go out of the Parsi religion just by marrying a non-Parsi?

Parsi woman who married a Hindu can't perform her parents' last rites - Mumbai Mirror

A three-judge bench of the Gujarat High Court rejected the petition filed by a Mumbai-based Parsi woman, who sought the rights to pray at Zoroastrian shrines, and attend the rituals.

Goolrokh Contractor, 43, lost the rights to enter an agiary (a Parsi fire temple) and the Tower of Silence (where Zoroastrians are cremated) when she married a Hindu.

She had filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court when she learnt that a trust administering an agiary and a Tower of Silence at Valsad in south Gujarat had allegedly prevented Dilbar Valvi, a Parsi woman married to a non-Parsi, from performing last rites of her mother, in 2008.

Goolrokh, whose parents live in Valsad, feared that in the event of their demise, she may not be allowed to pray or perform final rites at the aforesaid places.

The three-judge bench comprising Justices Jayant Patel, Akil Kureshi and R M Chhaya observed on Friday that there was no declaration before a competent court that Goolrokh had continued to follow Zoroastrianism after her marriage to a non-Parsi. The court, however, allowed her to obtain such a declaration from a civil court before she could be treated equally by the religious denomination.

The order further read that a Parsi woman, by contracting civil marriage with a non-Parsi under the Special Marriage Act, would cease to be part of the Zoroastrian religion; and that she would be deemed and presumed to have acquired the religious status of her husband.

In 1991, Goolrokh married Mahipal Gupta under the provisions of the Special Marriage Act. She contended that at the time of her marriage, she never changed her religion, although she changed her name to Neha.

She told Mumbai Mirror that she will move the Supreme Court against the Gujarat High Court order. "Our Constitution gives equal rights to men and women; hence, I had approached the court. To my dismay the petition got rejected. My parents are 78-year-olds, the time is running out, but my struggle will continue."

She added, "Even after so many years of democracy, a woman has to go through so much trouble for her basic rights to attend her parents' last rites. There can be no law in any country prohibiting a female from performing the last rites of her parents. This is gender bias. Does the religion of a woman change upon marriage? Does not she have her own identity?"

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
As it is they are few in number who why indulge in this nonsensical things ?

Zoravar

As it is they are few in number who why indulge in this nonsensical things ?
They are few in no. only because they indulge in all this.According to their customs,you become a non parsi when you marry outside your religion.It is an internal matter of theirs and nothing else.

addiction

Indian parsis are on the verge of extinction....I am afraid next generations will read about them only in history books...already there are very very few Parsis can be seen on Mumbai roads where they were spotted in good numbers couple of decades ago...

I wish Ratan Tata had couple of kids....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather sad.

Archaic thought.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Is anybody aware of Parsi religious rulings and wether this story is true? Do you really go out of the Parsi religion just by marrying a non-Parsi?

Parsis are very very strict when it comes to preserving their religion/culture.

You have to be born a Parsi, you grow up a Parsi, you marry a Parsi and then only you die a Parsi....that's it. No conversions,no reversions, nothing.

And that is what will be take this unique,distinguished community to its extinction. :(

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Parsis are very very strict when it comes to preserving their religion/culture.

You have to be born a Parsi, you grow up a Parsi, you marry a Parsi and then only you die a Parsi....that's it. No conversions,no reversions, nothing.

And that is what will be take this unique,distinguished community to its extinction. :(
how can you not convert ?

obviously people converted otherwise only there wont be any parsis..

KS

Bye bye DFI
how can you not convert ?

obviously people converted otherwise only there wont be any parsis..
They marry within their community...no outside marriages.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
They marry within their community...no outside marriages.
and what were they before they adopted zohastrian as there religon ? or were they parsis ever since humans came into existence ?

KS

Bye bye DFI
and what were they before they adopted zohastrian as there religon ? or were they parsis ever since humans came into existence ?
Go ask the Parsis....

According to them, they set foot in India as Parsis and that is what matters.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Go ask the Parsis....

Thats idiotic. Indian parsis may have set food as paris into India but what about iranian parsis ? Someone obviously invented the religion and iranians converted to it. So how can conversion be banned ?

I think this conversion issue has racist reasoning behind it.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Thats idiotic. Indian parsis may have set food as paris into India but what about iranian parsis ? Someone obviously invented the religion and iranians converted to it. So how can conversion be banned ?

I think this conversion issue has racist reasoning behind it.
they do not want to spread religion but they want to preserve their genes which they have brought here from persia..

Reactions: KS

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Go ask the Parsis....

Parsi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsi or Parsee (play /ˈpɑrsiː/) refers to a member of the larger of the two Zoroastrian communities in South Asia, the other being the Irani community.

According to tradition, the present-day Parsis descend from a group of Zoroastrians of Iran who immigrated to India during the 10th century AD,[1] to avoid persecution by Muslim invaders who were in the process of conquering Iran.[2][3][4][5][6][7] At the time of the Arab invasion of Iran, the dominant religion of the region was Zoroastrianism. The Iranians rebelled against the Arab invaders for almost 200 years; in Iran this period is now known as the "Two "Centuries of Silence" or "Period of Silence". [8] After many failed attempts[9][10] to free the country from Arab domination,the Iranians were forced to either pay heavy taxes (Jizya) or to convert to Islam, the latter being the ultimate goal of the new rulers and thus the easier way.[11][12] During this time many Iranians who are now called Parsi rejected both options and instead chose to take refuge by fleeing from Iran to India. [13]

Their long presence in the region distinguishes the Parsis from the Iranis, who are more recent arrivals, and who represent the smaller of the two Indian-Zoroastrian communities.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles