Pakistanis feel screwed on Kashmir: Bill Clinton

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Pakistanis feel screwed on Kashmir: Bill Clinton

?Pakistanis felt screwed on Kashmir?

Updated on Monday, October 05, 2009, 23:48 IST Tags:Bill Clinton, Kashmir, Pakistan
Washington: With the US not supporting their cause in Kashmir and sanctions imposed on them through the Pressler Amendment that had banned assistance to Pakistan, Islamabad felt "screwed on Kashmir," the then US President Bill Clinton is reported to have said.

Clinton said this to Taylor Branch, the Pulitzer prize winner author, who recently published the book 'The Clinton Tapes'. The book is based on the secret conversation Branch had with Clinton during his presidential years inside the White House. The book reflects Clinton being sympathetic to Pakistan and wanting to help it.

"Separately, he said they feel screwed on Kashmir, because the United States has long deferred to annexation by India against the majority wish of the Kashmiris," Branch writes in his latest book that hit the stores last week.

"Also, it was fundamentally unfair that the US Pressler Amendment punished Pakistan and not India for the development of nuclear weapons," Clinton said. The amendment banned military and economic assistance to Pakistan.

Pakistan still offered a nuclear-free South Asia, complete with international inspections, but India insisted that she needed nuclear weapons to deter China, the book says.

Branch said: "Benazir Bhutto's main purpose in Washington was to seek relief for Pakistan's F-16 aircraft confiscated under the Pressler Amendment after the full USD 1 billion purchase price had been paid to Lockheed Martin."

Bhutto, desperate for foreign exchange, secretly preferred a refund to possession of the planes, but current US law blocked either course. "If I couldn’t get an exception to the Pressler Amendment through a Democratic Congress," lamented the president, "I sure can't get one through now."

Legislators loved to boast about striking a blow against nuclear proliferation, he said, to the point of outright thievery. All he could do for Bhutto was scrap her rusting planes and seek to return a pittance from their value in salvage." Branch wrote.

Clinton during these secret conversations also praised Pakistan in providing full cooperation to it in terrorist attacks investigations. "Clinton reeled off details of significant cooperation for which the Pakistanis deserved credit," it said.

"Pakistan was still paying a heavy price, said the president, for its steadfast support of our surrogate war in the 1980s against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. First it was overrun by refugees, then by drug dealers, until a diverted poppy trade created some three million heroin addicts in Pakistan.

Bhutto’s government had just extradited to the United States the captured fugitive Ramzi Yousef, an alleged "mastermind of the 1993 truck bomb that killed six people and injured a thousand in New York’s World Trade Center," the book said.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Open challenge: My apologies to be blunt!

Name me any single issue where Pakistanis don't feel screwed.

Flint

Yeah rite. They have had a free hand to create havoc in Kashmir for the last 20 years.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Its not the first time. Bill Clinton himself has the habit of screwing people. :wink:

johnee

The US has amazing logic: Pakistan feels screwed on something, so US tries to screw India to satisfy their allies.

This happens everytime,
Pakistan feels screwed over Afghanistan, so US tries to screw the good work of India,
Pakistan feels screwed over Kashmir, so US tries to screw India....

johnee

Open challenge: My apologies to be blunt!

Name me any single issue where Pakistanis don't feel screwed.
Jinnah started the screwing of Pakistanis by creating Pakistan and the screwing never ended...

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Next Headlines from Pakistan:

Pakistan feels screwed because the British overthrew the Mughal empire and asks for compensation from East India Company: Brown

When will the they learn something from history instead of ranting what happened? A full educational revamp is needed in the country. And why listen to some hypocrite?...Remember the man with more power and money will have the say in the end. India has both now and Pakistan must work to get both of it. Only then they can make atleast a few countries listen to their cries. These things are just rants.

peacecracker

pakistanis -This Screwed Condition arises because of the "excitement" some gets due to the possible Jihad(Aggression) against Israel,India and America.Once ,Religion is considered as a Personal Thing and Radical Teachings Replaced For Secularism ,They Will be able to Know What is Wrong in kashmir.India cannot go against it's Basic Principles Including Secularism .that is why still Kashmir valley cannot "achieve" Terrorism as in Pakistan.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
They don't seem to mind the screwing though! It is almost surreal to still see them talk of Kashmir when their own country is surviving from day to day.

arya

Country flag
hi

its not about usa its about India we are growing country usa need us

India and china are only two country who are growing in the world

nation is all the above

Jeet

Recent one...
Pakis got screwed bcoz India influenced umpires in Campions Trophy semifinal against newzeland....

johnee

Recent one...
Pakis got screwed bcoz India influenced umpires in Campions Trophy semifinal against newzeland....
That was India's revenge because the Pakis fixed the match(according to PCB) with australia to stop India from entering the semi-final. Instant justice by BCCI.:india:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Pakistan gets screwed and every time it gets paid for it. Case in point, Pakistan gets screwed by Taliban/US/NATO in War on Terror and it gets paid by US and Friends of Pakistan. Pakistan gets screwed in hosting cricket world cup and they get paid despite not hosting. Pakistan gets screwed after Pokhrani-I&II nuclear tests by India and they get paid by Saudia and China to make their own nuclear weapons. Well. what more can I say....the saga continues.:wink:

johnee

^getting screwed for money. Thats generally what prostitutes do...

Ashoka

My first post here.

It doesn't really matter if Pakistanis feel screwed or not. What matters is how we are going to bring peace in Kashmir, without ceding any more territory. And I personally do not agree with the contentions of Mr. Clinton that US has been on India's side for so long time. That is simply a hogwash.

And it is an opportunity for us to introspect. We have an enemy who apparently is getting screwed on every front. Still we have not been able to force our way thru. Are we being too soft? I think yes.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
My first post here.

It doesn't really matter if Pakistanis feel screwed or not. What matters is how we are going to bring peace in Kashmir, without ceding any more territory. And I personally do not agree with the contentions of Mr. Clinton that US has been on India's side for so long time. That is simply a hogwash.

And it is an opportunity for us to introspect. We have an enemy who apparently is getting screwed on every front. Still we have not been able to force our way thru. Are we being too soft? I think yes.
Hello Ashoka, Clinton says that Pakistan feels its getting screwed. So the question of India being a soft state is not relevant here.

Also, please do introduce yourself and tell us something more about you in the Intro sub-forum. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles