Pakistani troops to be trained by Australia.

bhramos

Country flag
Australia to train extra Pakistani troops

The chief of the general staff of Pakistan's military has welcomed an Australian decision to boost training in counter-insurgent warfare for his forces.

Almost 1.5 million people have been forced from their homes by fighting between government troops and Taliban militants in Pakistan's north and western regions.

Defence analysts say if the government is to succeed and hold its ground, it will need to wage a more sophisticated counter-insurgency campaign.

Last year, the Australian military offered 10 places for Pakistani troops to receive counter-insurgent warfare training.

That was boosted to 40 in February and now the Government has decided to offer 70 places, starting in July.

Pakistani General Tariq Majid has been in Canberra for key meetings with the Government and says his men are committed to eradicating extremism.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/2576279.htm

why is Australia taking much intrest in Pakistan?
is there any view like China to counter India?
Will this effect India in Future?

Sailor

There is nothing sinister about this. It is to do with the Anzus treaty. America is involved in Pakistan so whatever they are involved in, we help out.
Assistance has probably been quietly requested at the highest level.

Pintu

I am quite negative about the out come of this Counter Insurgency training, Pakistan Army posses military equipments needed for COIN but what they lack is morale and will power.

Regards

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Will they be training how to fight or how to assist the terrorists?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Exactly my view they will learn the counter insurgency tactics and train the terrorist groups against them

venkat

sailor,being an Australian you may not care a damn about it and feel the pinch of it,ask me,in india almost everyone feels that who ever asists pakistan militarily is working against India. Austalia has refused to sell Uranium to India and is selling uranium to china! what does this act signify! History always tells that all guns of pakistan will always be aimed at india!

Shiny Capstar

Professional
why is Australia taking much intrest in Pakistan?
is there any view like China to counter India?
Will this effect India in Future?
WoT.
No, stop being paranoid and thinking anyone who helps Pakistan in anyway hates you.
No, unless you try and launch an insurgency in their country (so no).

Country flag
after 7 years of war on terror Pakistanis are going to get trained now???says a lot of the quality of the pakistani army and the management of the afghan war.

Mohan

Respected Member
WoT.
No, stop being paranoid and thinking anyone who helps Pakistan in anyway hates you.
No, unless you try and launch an insurgency in their country (so no).
Sir I agree that we should not be paranoid.

Sir everybody knows they run a insurgency in J&k in India. Dont they have feed back of that and what about all the knowledge they gained from Afghanistan. If Australia is absorbing some of the expenses then ok. I feel they lack only the motivation part of it to fight the ongoing war.Every body here fears is that anything learned new will be implemented against us thats all.

NikSha

So Australia is going to train terrorists now? (well, indirectly)

But after recent "no uranium for India.. oh hey China, take some" debacle, among other things, this new development isn't going to help them win any friends here (though I don't think they care).

India will suffer, all western countries are busy arming and training this terrorist nation while we are stuck with a government with no will to take any action against anyone. They are more interested in setting up quotas..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The best part of the whole story is that Australia does not have any COIN experience apart from the small force it has sent to Astan.
The US too did not and sent it soldiers to train in India.

Country flag
only 70 soldiers are going no big deal at all, to be trained in insurgency by a country that never had an insurgency,training a country that created it. nice irony.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
only 70 soldiers are going no big deal at all, to be trained in insurgency by a country that never had an insurgency,training a country that created it. nice irony.
You are showing a lot of ignorance of Australia's military and their abilities, they are a lot better than you think.

Also, a good question I heard raised by an Aussie army officer, where are they going? The main possibilities would probably be the Defence and Strategic Studies or at the Australian Command and Staff College but it could somewhere completely different.
Anybody got any further information?

Shiny Capstar

Professional
after 7 years of war on terror Pakistanis are going to get trained now???says a lot of the quality of the pakistani army and the management of the afghan war.
They have been receiving training from many nations (highly limited numbers and scope though) for quite a while. Some groups have been trained by SF from various countries before and some of their officers are put through various Western training institutions, this kind of thing is nothing new. I think they have also received Chinese advice.

You would be extremely unwise to underestimate the PA, although CI is not a strong point for them they would be a formidable foe.

Country flag
You are showing a lot of ignorance of Australia's military and their abilities, they are a lot better than you think.

Also, a good question I heard raised by an Aussie army officer, where are they going? The main possibilities would probably be the Defence and Strategic Studies or at the Australian Command and Staff College but it could somewhere completely different.
Anybody got any further information?
shiny I have no doubt about the australians as they have been with USA in may campaigns, but it just seems ironic to me that pakistanis are going to learn something that the have full control and use as a state policy, this has become a charade and it is reaching new crescendos, much of this training was needed much earlier and I don't know how well reluctant soldiers fight, to me it should be a 100% or not at all, and pakistanis effort has been 20% at best.

johnee

Pakistani Army( both the top brass and footsoldiers) actually need some psyhcological help. They should be made to realise that Talibanis are bad, period. No justification or excuse for their brutalities. Once, the PA has the will to fight(after being convinced that talibanies are bad), then everything else will fall in place. Otherwise, no amount of training will help. Just a waste of time, money, effort, infact , it is a waste of even the bandwidth we use to discuss this news.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
shiny I have no doubt about the australians as they have been with USA in may campaigns, but it just seems ironic to me that pakistanis are going to learn something that the have full control and use as a state policy, this has become a charade and it is reaching new crescendos, much of this training was needed much earlier and I don't know how well reluctant soldiers fight, to me it should be a 100% or not at all, and pakistanis effort has been 20% at best.
You would hate some of the ANA I have met, that is for sure.

Sailor

sailor,being an Australian you may not care a damn about it and feel the pinch of it,ask me,in india almost everyone feels that who ever assists Pakistan militarily is working against India. Australia has refused to sell Uranium to India and is selling uranium to china! what does this act signify! History always tells that all guns of Pakistan will always be aimed at India!
This seems a very logical and reasonable conclusion to come to. It is understandable. I can only think how we would feel if this was happening near home and foreign powers were training a hostile New Guinea or somewhere.
This situation is so complex that to say anything as an answer in a few words on a forum like this is impossible. One could write a whole book and even that wouldn't be big enough.

Last week in a post I mentioned that Australia does not see India in anyway as a threat to world security and certainly directly affecting Australia. One only has to see the amount of young Indian students at our universities here to see what 'training' we are helping India with. Thousands are out here, but I have never heard of a Pakistani student studying in my life.

The nuclear issue is also incredibly complex and encompasses the political system of Australia which is still anti nuclear. No state here will ever have nuclear power. It is just not part of our thinking as a nation. Because of this left wing attitude, elaborate safeguards are in place about who the end user is on our uranium and what they are going to do with it.
India is not the only country we won't sell uranium too. Israel is another and we are friendly with them as well. Australia is very sensitive that we would never want it said that we supplied the means to create a nuclear bomb used on anyone. Because India and Israel are the world's flashpoints it alone is the reason that we aren't repaired to risk it.

On China, I guess the lame excuses there are that Australia doesn't see China threatening anyone directly with nuclear weapons any more than say the US or Russia are.
Secondly China is Australia's major trading partner and I suppose uranium is a part of it.

Finally a few words on helping Pakistan. So complex with it's primitive tribal systems and religious fanatics that it isn't possible to get involved without offending someone. But to stand back and do nothing seems like we are not helping India's problem too. Your neighbour is in trouble and we want to help.

Should we stay at home and mind our own business and let it all go to hell, or try?

dave lukins

Professional
Sailor, the devil and the deep blue sea comes to mind. I can see India's POV on others helping their enemy. I would be a tad miffed if others trained others to attack my soldiers. I'm sure China has a good stock of the nuclear brew and is just stockpiling it for a rainy day:wink: As we say "there is no such thing as a free lunch" so, I wonder what Pakistan is giving in return?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles