Pakistan urges aid to be released in Billions of Dollars

bhramos

Country flag
Pakistan urges aid to be released

Pakistan has urged donor countries to release billions of dollars in promised aid to help the country rebuild after an army offensive against the Taliban.

Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi was speaking at a meeting of international donors in Turkey.

He said the funds were urgently needed to win hearts and minds in regions recaptured from the militants and to help displaced people return home.
Donors pledged over $5bn in April. Only a fraction of that has been released
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan urges aid to be released

Country flag
Pakistan is right the world owes them billions to get rid of the terrorism they produced. Let's see if China can cough up 10-20 billion for being the best buddies that they are.

bhramos

Country flag
lets wait and see even atleast these money reaches people or else it may reach anti-India works like terrorism or buying advance war machines ....

Koji

Sad thing is that it is not just China, but the US and Japan also are major funders of Pakistan.

Country flag
China has not been able to keep up with USA in aid to pakistan, USA has given over 35 billion since WOT began, China dosen't come close to that number while trying to compete for influence against USA.

bhramos

Country flag
brother i accept with u , but China & US are also Military Donors, Japan is not...

Koji

brother i accept with u , but China & US are also Military Donors, Japan is not...
Where do you think those billions of dollars are going? It's supposed to be for anti-terrorism activity, but it's going straight into funding its military.

Antimony

What would really win hearts and minds?

I think if he aid givers had told Pakistan that the aid would be given in terms of funds to build infrastructure, using firms from the donor countries - win win

Country flag
China and japan put together don't equal 1/2 the aid pakistan gets from USA, of all the three nations japan has a checks and balance system and mostly donate to infrastructure causes.

Koji

I think if he aid givers had told Pakistan that the aid would be given in terms of funds to build infrastructure, using firms from the donor countries - win win
Isn't that what the Chinese are doing? Case and point Gwadar.

Country flag

why would donors belive it? that is the BS pakistan has been telling them for decades, everyone laughs it off promises something and gives nothing.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The statement was released in Turkey and Pakistanis (i don't know why) feels at home when in turkey and can speak up openly in front of Turkey audience. What is role of Turkey as a Pakistani friend ! ? Why Pakistan is able to play its religious card with these nations?

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan concern over aid from US

US financial aid to Pakistan is "unacceptable" if it is linked to monitoring of its nuclear arsenal, Pakistan's finance minister has said.

In an interview with the Financial Times newspaper, Shaukat Tarin also said half of the aid pledged is likely to be wasted in administrative costs.

He urged the US to channel its aid through Pakistani agencies.

His comments come as Pakistan's National Finance Commission is set to meet to discuss spending plans.

The distribution of money to the provinces, such as the troubled North West Frontier Province (NWFP), is said to be high on the agenda.

The US is one of Pakistan's largest donors. In June the Obama administration asked the US Congress to release an extra $200m to help displaced people in northwest Pakistan.

But Mr Tarin emphasised that Pakistan would resist any attempts to link aid with Pakistan's nuclear programme or to its relationship with India.

There has been no mention of monitoring of Pakistan's nuclear facilities as a condition for aid to Pakistan, correspondents say.

But concern over the security of Pakistan's nuclear facilities has grown as militants have extended their control in the country in recent months.

Mr Tarin also said that a large proportion of aid gets swallowed up by intermediary costs incurred by US agencies in Pakistan.

"Whatever aid [the US is] giving must have full impact on the ground which is why they should route as much of this aid through our agencies [rather] than their own agencies," he told the Financial Times.

Swat disquiet

At an international donors meeting in Turkey earlier this week, Pakistan urged donor countries to release billions of dollars in promised aid to help the country rebuild after an army offensive against the Taliban.

Corpses of suspected militants have begun appearing in the Swat valley
Donors pledged more than $5bn in April but only a fraction of that has been released so far.

Much of the aid is expected to be directed towards reconstruction across Pakistan's NWFP. Two million people were displaced from the Swat valley when the military took on Taliban militants based in the area.

Many of those started returning home in July after the army said it had largely secured the valley.

But reports of violence there have not abated. Dozens of corpses - many thought to be suspected militants - have been found in the region in recent weeks.

Local residents say that Pakistani security forces have been carrying out extra-judicial killings as part of their offensive against the Taliban. But the army and police deny the accusations.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Mr Tarin also said that a large proportion of aid gets swallowed up by intermediary costs incurred by US agencies in Pakistan.

"Whatever aid [the US is] giving must have full impact on the ground which is why they should route as much of this aid through our agencies [rather] than their own agencies," he told the Financial Times.
Must be getting harder and harder to reroute these funds for the military.
With the US already having so little accountability over the use of its funds by Pakistan i can't imagine them agreeing to this

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
The statement was released in Turkey and Pakistanis (i don't know why) feels at home when in turkey and can speak up openly in front of Turkey audience. What is role of Turkey as a Pakistani friend ! ? Why Pakistan is able to play its religious card with these nations?
The feeling is mutual, if u meet a Turk he will show the same feeling toward Pakistani. I found some Turks who even consider us Turks LOL :) I told them we are not

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles