Pakistan Test-fires Babur Babur Hatf VII Cruise Missile

pyromaniac

Founding Member
As the country's News Agency reported at the end of last week, on Wednesday Pakistan conducted a successful test-firing of its latest domestically manufactured cruise missile, known as Babur (or Babar, Hatf VII), exactly at the time President Asif Zardari was in Washington and due to meet US President Barack Obama.

A source in the Foreign Office said the test was carried out without prior announcement and that Islamabad did not want to leave any negative impression regarding the Washington meeting.

Designed by the National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM), the Pakistani scientific and research organisation, Babur is believed to be based on the US BGM-109 Tomahawk design. The cruise missile has a reported range of 500 kilometres (310 miles). It can be fired from warships, submarines and aircraft and is capable of carrying both conventional and nuclear warheads. The Pakistani cruise missile is designed to hug the terrain and slip undetected through almost any protective radar system.

The Babur joins Pakistan's existing arsenal of short-range, intermediate and long-range nuclear and conventional missiles, which includes the Shaheen-I with a range of 600 kilometres , the Shaheen-II with a range of 2,000 kilometres , the Ghauri-I and Ghauri-II with ranges of 1,500 kilometres and 2,300 kilometres respectively, and the short-range (100-290 kilometres) Hatf series.

After its first test-firing in 2005, then-President Pervez Musharraf described the Babur as "a major milestone in Pakistan's quest for strengthening and consolidating the country's strategic capability." Looking in the direction of India, he added that the missile manifests Pakistan's resolve to maintain the balance of power that is essential to stability and peace in the region.

Pakistan Test-fires Babur Babur Hatf VII Cruise Missile | India Defence

Yep....this is definitely gonna stop the Taliban

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Whenever Pakistan test-fires a missile, rest assured, it will be 100% successful, there will never be a failure. Perhaps, Pakistani technology and scientists are the best in the world :wink:.

It can be fired from warships, submarines and aircraft and is capable of carrying both conventional and nuclear warheads. The Pakistani cruise missile is designed to hug the terrain and slip undetected through almost any protective radar system.
This is pure hyperbole, there is not even an known effort that they are working towards this direction of launching from multiple platforms.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Any launch capability from Air, Surface Ship or Submarine has to require refitting of the respective platform. Besides Pakistan has only the F-16 as its premier fighter to launch the Babur. But there are two problems. One the F-16 is a light weight aircraft which i doubt can carry the cruise missiles on it. Second will the US refit it to carry the missile.

Same for the submarines as well.

If Pakistan can modify its surface ships on its own, then it can be mounted on them.

Since the Babur has its range longer than 300 kms and is nuclear capable, any assistance to modify the platform by a foreign power will be in violation of international treaties.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The package has just been announced and it still has to come along.

Su-47

And one day it will be delivered....to our cities.

USA is basically funding Pak to attack us.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Okay, this cruise missile is the one reportedly ripped off a fallen tomahawk right? Are the Pakistanis so good at reverse engineering kya? Or was there a Chinese Hand? There always is a chinese hand!

Why isnt India developing a Cruise Missile of 1000+ Range? I mean we got the Sagarika (Which is a sub launched cruise missile right?)

About the Pakistani missiles never failing, well hmmmmmmm if you test a missile once or twice with a limited set of parameters it wont fail, but if you push it hard like Us Indians do, then It will have its own share of failures.

Lastly, Copied Missiles or not, these things can pack a punch! Hope our Anti Missile stuff can take these out. Russia reportledly told that their Mig 31s could have taken out 80% of tomahawks launched during the Iraq War!

ahmedsid

Top Gun

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Okay, this cruise missile is the one reportedly ripped off a fallen tomahawk right? Are the Pakistanis so good at reverse engineering kya? Or was there a Chinese Hand? There always is a chinese hand!
Yes those were sent to China and hence the result.

Why isnt India developing a Cruise Missile of 1000+ Range? I mean we got the Sagarika (Which is a sub launched cruise missile right?)
Sagarika or Shourya are semi ballistic missiles not cruise missiles. India is working on Nirbhay which will fall in the required range.

About the Pakistani missiles never failing, well hmmmmmmm if you test a missile once or twice with a limited set of parameters it wont fail, but if you push it hard like Us Indians do, then It will have its own share of failures.
So you really think any development is done? It's a ready made missile which is painted and fired.

Lastly, Copied Missiles or not, these things can pack a punch! Hope our Anti Missile stuff can take these out. Russia reportledly told that their Mig 31s could have taken out 80% of tomahawks launched during the Iraq War!
Every cruise missile can be intercepted key is detection. Even AA guns are effective against them.

A.V.

I so forgot that post! Bad memory! And yes, this thread can be merged with the missile discussions I think.

Lastly, What do you guys feel about the Potential threat Our Installations face from this missile?
basically babur is designed to take out strategic installations incase of a war radar installations been one of the primary site but india is using the IAI greenpine which is based on a mobile platform with a range of almost 400 kilometers and babur been subsonic the radar signatures can be switched off and location altered as it mobile.
next the use of the missile against other installations need to be blocked or shot down the ground hugging capability of the babur will reduce its range considerably as a result it will fly at a normal height and can be detected easily by the radars...

finally the best answer to the babur would be to fire a brahmos <the land version > with precision guided system and destroy the enemy launchers

chandrahass

Professional
Generally Cruise Missiles are not fired stand alone or in group of a 2-3 . It has to be a salvo of cruise missiles to make the strike efective . and yes nitesh is right cruise missiles can ne intercepted . you can say they are warheaded jet engine .

A Fighter can chase and kill a cruise missile .AA guns or SAM's can take them down . But the launch becomes effective when you fire a salvo.

For Now Pakistan does not have numbers .

and they will have to place there launchers at least 300 Kms away from International border as Brahmos 1 And II can both take them out more fast then pakistanis can even think so there effective range get's reduced to 200 Kms to launch a rather "safe " salvo.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I read up on the Kh55, and it was an air launched CM, guess China Delivered few to them as Chinese got hold of some from Ukraine too alongwith Iran.

Yes, Aircrafts can take them out I have read, and they are not that hard to detect and take out unlike Supersonic Cruise Missiles.

Currently Pakistan is in no shape to mass produce the missile, so they are quite sometime away from the salvo part. I have heard discussions on the web about the Baburs taking out Green Pines and PAF going in to take it out! Well Ignorance breeds Ignorance! Nothing much can be said to them I guess!

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Pakistani Babur/ Iranian Ghadr are modified Ukrainian Kh-55.
China and Iran got direct shipment of Kh55 from Ukraine, I guess the Chinese Modified the Kh55 which is Air Launched version to a LA and gave it to Pakistan and Iran.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
How many Mig's and where would they be stationed?

I would say that that statement had more to do with them selling some Mig 31's to Syria around about then (they have yet to be delivered).

BTW I am not disputing the vulnerability of cruise missiles to various methods.

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
I think the babur cant be intercepted that easily......the reason i say this is that babur is a terrain hugging missile.......so if they are fired to military bases supposedly in kashmir,even the green pines stationed there would find it tough to detect it it......but given the accuracy of the underdevelopment,aad and pad,we can intercept them easily if they are detected...and one easy way is that,they shall be detected during their vertical launch,so their projectile would not be difficult to estimate....thnx

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Pak test fires nuclear-capable Hatf-7 cruise missile
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1258365.ece

Pakistan test fired nuclear-capable Hatf-7 cruise missile with a range of 600 km that can hit targets in India.

The test of the indigenously-developed missile was "part of a process of validating the system," said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations. The statement did not mention where the test was conducted.

The successful test of Hatf-7 or Babur cruise missile was witnessed by Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shamim Wynne, who said the launch would "go a long way in consolidating Pakistan's strategic deterrence capability and further strengthening national security."

"Pakistan's resolve and commitment to continue its strategic programme will remain paramount," he said.

The test was "warmly appreciated by the President and Prime Minister," who congratulated the scientists and engineers on their success, the statement said.

The Director General of the Strategic Plans Division, Lt Gen (Retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Army Strategic Force Command chief Lt Gen Jamil Haider, senior officers from the military and strategic organisations, scientists and engineers also witnessed the test.

The Babur can carry strategic or conventional warheads and has stealth capabilities, the statement said.

It is a "low flying, terrain-hugging missile with high manoeuvrability, pin-point accuracy and radar avoidance features."

The missile also incorporates modern cruise missile technology of terrain contour matching (TERCOM) and digital scene matching and area co-relation (DSMAC), the statement said.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles