Pakistan scrapped its decision for purchasing VT-4 and is now interested in Russian options.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Pics (old) of trials of Norinco VT-4 in Pakistan. VT-4 out performed Oplot-M in trials and at one stage was about to be finalized for order. But apparently after Russian offer for T90, Pakistan scrapped its decision for purchasing VT-4 and is now interested in Russian options.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
They have money for T90?

30 bloody character
MBT 3000/VT-4 Unit cost - $3 million.
T-90 unit cost - $4.5 Million

They need 100 tanks. So the extra amount they would need to pay is $1.5 million a pop or approx Rs20 crores PKR. That amounts to Rs 2000 crores PKR! Which doesn't matter much where the PA is concerned as the real reason is the enormous kickbacks the khaki brass will be getting.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Pics (old) of trials of Norinco VT-4 in Pakistan. VT-4 out performed Oplot-M in trials and at one stage was about to be finalized for order. But apparently after Russian offer for T90, Pakistan scrapped its decision for purchasing VT-4 and is now interested in Russian options.
So they've publicly acknowledged that the T90 is better than any Chinese tank, including their renamed type 96 "al khalid".

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Like their Thunder blunder, their Al Khalid is a disaster too. After all, both are Chinese!! :biggrin2:
But I still miss the era when we used western tanks like centurion or western pattern tanks like Vijayanta with its 105mm gun. I really don't like the look of Russian tanks like t90 or t72. Plus they're not good at crew comfort. I still drool over the AMX 40 and wish we purchased that instead of t 72.

Deathstar

Country flag
But I still miss the era when we used western tanks like centurion or western pattern tanks like Vijayanta with its 105mm gun. I really don't like the look of Russian tanks like t90 or t72. Plus they're not good at crew comfort. I still drool over the AMX 40 and wish we purchased that instead of t 72.
Any chance we might get M1A2 Abrams?

Deathstar

Country flag
No chance. Army has shown no interest in it. And t90 is up to m1a2 in capabilities, at a much lower weight. Army has repeatedly said it doesn't want any tank over 50 tons.
Lessons from porkie failure of Asal Uttar?:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Lessons from porkie failure of Asal Uttar?:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
Nah. We were also using 50 ton centurions with excellent effect during the 1965 war. It's just the army doesn't want to retool its logistics for a new tank. T 90 can use all the facilities already made for the t 72. That's why they're throwing such a tantrum about inducting Arjun because of its weight.

The lesson from Asal Uttar is that technology is useless without training, as the inept paki tank crews demonstrated. They had very sophisticated rangefinders in their m48 patton tanks, but didn't train to use it effectively during combat. During Asal Uttar they were caught with their pants down, as our centurions and much older M4 Shermans shredded paki pattons, while pork gunners couldn't even get an aim at our tanks. Not only Asal Uttar, the vast majority of armoured battles in 65 saw Indian tanks destroying far more paki tanks for very few losses.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Both out latest T-90MS screwed up in the tank Biathlon last year when they failed to finish the competition due to technical glitches! The Russians got pole position while the Chinese came a close second with their Type-96A tanks. What a frikkin embarrassment! The Chinese must have sniggered at our plight. I only hope these tanks don't let us down in battle!

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Both out latest T-90MS screwed up in the tank Biathlon last year when they failed to finish the competition due to technical glitches! The Russians got pole position while the Chinese came a close second with their Type-96A tanks. What a frikkin embarrassment! The Chinese must have sniggered at our plight. I only hope these tanks don't let us down in battle!
I heard our T 90s broke down because our guys tinkered with the engines just for the competition. We were dominating the race before the breakdowns. I don't think any such engine adjustments will take place during war.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I read last year that Cheenis and Ruskis use bigger, more bhp engines just for the competition. These tanks are specifically made for competition and may not sport full armour etc
The Chinese definitely do that. They get a bigger engine just for this competition.the Russians used to use their regular T72BM3's with 750 hp engine, but now they use a 1200 hp engine for the biathlon.

shiphone

Country flag
oh dear...how pathetic, Indian Army competed in Tank Biathlon 5 times since 2014 , but it seems most Indian military fans know nothing about this 'game'...do you know the IA team's final ranks in these past games? any one?

come on...don't waste your time on the funny BullShit based on these terrible wrong info.
as least ,someone could get the basic 'data' correct first, and the 'types' as well...I'm always curious how Indian popularization of science goes...lol
--------------------

Russian offered the foreign teams with T-72B3 (840hp or 1000hp- some source)
Russian uses T-72B3M(1130hp) since the beginning...
Belarus brought own T-72BM1(1000hp) recently

China team used Type96A in 2014, the 800hp engine was not powerful enough and the team got the 7th rank in racing...but the tank crew won 1st in Physical game,and then the team qualified the final game(top 4) and got the 3rd place in the end. in 2015, the team brought the limited improved Type96A1(830-840hp), and 2nd place this year....then came the brand new Type96B(1000hp), in the following three years the team got two 2nd places(2016,2018) and a third place(2017)...

and this is the 2017's game....Type96B(1000hp, 45tons) vs your T-90S(1000hp, 46tons) in semi-final

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
oh dear...how pathetic, Indian Army competed in Tank Biathlon 5 times since 2014 , but it seems most Indian military fans know nothing about this 'game'...do you know the IA team's final ranks in these past games? any one?

and this is the 2017's game....Type96B(1000hp, 45tons) vs your T-90S(1000hp, 46tons) in semi-final

This is Type96B in 2018 semi-finals...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles