Pakistan occupied Kashmirs Struggle for Freedom

ejazr

Ambassador
Help Pakistani Kashmiris' 'freedom struggle', India urged | TwoCircles.net

New Delhi : There is simmering discontent among Pakistani Kashmiris against Islamabad's misrule, activists from the region said Wednesday, urging India to shun its "defensive" Kashmir policy.

"Azad Kashmir (as Islamabad terms Pakistan-administered Kashmir) is free, of course. But free for Pakistanis only," Mumtaz Khan, a Canada-based Pakistani Kashmiri activist, said at a seminar here on the status of the area.

Khan, who heads the International Center For Peace and Democracy (ICFPD) a Canada-based NGO, alleged that no politician could talk independently about the Kashmir issue in Pakistan because it is directly under the military's control.

He said the people of the region, including Gilgit-Baltistan, had pinned their hopes on New Delhi but "India has been defensive in its Kashmir policy".

"This has allowed Pakistan to take an aggressive stance," he said, reminding the Indian government of a parliament resolution saying that Pakistan "must vacate the areas of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, which they have occupied through aggression".

"India has faulted. You have violated your own constitution that says Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir is a disputed territory. You have to demonstrate something practically," the activist said.

Senger Sering, another activist based in Washington and originally from Gilgit Baltistan, said people from his region wanted an independent republic and "that is why Pakistan is treats us worse than enemies".

"There is institutionalized slavery. Pakistan has been eating out our resources and this slavery has been legalized by an ordinance," Sering said, referring to the Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self Governance Order, 2009.

He alleged that "target killings" were rampant in the strategically located region rich with natural resources, particularly with a great potential for hydroelectricity.

The territory, where China has shown keen investment interest and is in fact developing many hydroelectricity projects and roads, is also a gateway to Central Asia.

But the area is ridden by violent incidents that Islamabad blames of sectarian groups, both Shias and Sunnis.

But Sering denied this, saying: "Target killings are done by mercenaries hired by (Pakistani spy agency) ISI."

"They (killers) are coming from outside," he said.

He alleged that the area is hugely militarized and the Pakistan Army controls everything.

"We have a bakery, the only bakery in the region. It is named Askari Bakery but is known as Military Bakery because it is run by the army," he said.

Asking India to engage with activists from Pakistani Kashmir, he added that India should allow a symbolic representation for the region in the Jammu and Kashmir assembly.

"Let some activists be allowed to represent the region in the Kashmir assembly and legislative council," he said, adding this was possible because constitutionally, they are citizens of India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Something I have said for years. India has been defensive on Kashmir for no reason. I wonder if we have any leverage there to instigate an uprising to put paid on by NaPak ideas of NaPakis. We have to make a move on. Enough of status quo.

warriorextreme

Country flag
We have always been defensive about kashmir issue..it is time we turn the tables..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All covert means should be adopted.
You should know if there has been any covert help to "our citizens" there.

I agree with the person when he says Kashmiris from Pak Occupied Kashmir should be given representation. We have set aside seven seats in our Parliament for PoK as proof of it's impending return to Indian administration. We should appoint prominent Kashmiris and Baltis with MP positions. It can be honorary without voting rights as they are not elected. But symbolic. It's time to fill those seven seats.

devgupt

Country flag
What amazes me that Indian policy planners are so defensive in thinking. Pakistan since its inception has a host of internal problems. Yet except Bangladesh we never took advantage of that, even though Pakistan used every opportunity to turn any single mistake of ours in one region an opening to play their games.Even today when Baluchistan is ripe for picking, US Congress is debating it, there is rare mention of it in government announcements, forget about debating it openly in Parliament.

devgupt

Country flag

I agree with the person when he says Kashmiris from Pak Occupied Kashmir should be given representation. We have set aside seven seats in our Parliament for PoK as proof of it's impending return to Indian administration. We should appoint prominent Kashmiris and Baltis with MP positions. It can be honorary without voting rights as they are not elected. But symbolic. It's time to fill those seven seats.
What an Idea Sirji:hail::hail:
Adding to that I think there 34 assembly seats in J&K assembly which are also vacant.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Have a heart.

How will I know?

Notwithstanding, your idea is novel!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
India is not defensive, it's waiting for the right moment. and the moment is approaching. patience will lead the way.
You really believe that the patience is the way to go. Is it the same patience that has been practised for the last sixty four years and the result was four wars along with ongoing infiltration in to India and numerous terrorist attacks and sheltring the terrorists by puked Pakisi. For gods sake come to terms with the reality.

We have to start covert operation as suggested by Brigadier Ray. Days of tokenism are over. First and foremost we have to replace existing political party's at the center with new where no criminals are at all allowed to be member of any political party.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Have a heart.

How will I know?

Notwithstanding, your idea is novel!
I am sure you don't :D

Sir Kashmir has to be solved using novel ideas and by that I certainly don't mean the Mushy MMS kind of. That was a sell out. We need it resolved in out favor from a position of strength.

I hope people like Galaxy who are in touch with BJP cadre can take this idea up and may be BJP makes it its manifesto. BJP has my vote if it can get Kashmir back, or at least puts forward and idea to get it back. I can't expect this from the congress.

amitkriit

I am sure you don't :D

Sir Kashmir has to be solved using novel ideas and by that I certainly don't mean the Mushy MMS kind of. That was a sell out. We need it resolved in out favor from a position of strength.

I hope people like Galaxy who are in touch with BJP cadre can take this idea up and may be BJP makes it its manifesto. BJP has my vote if it can get Kashmir back, or at least puts forward and idea to get it back. I can't expect this from the congress.
Bajpayee may be a respected politician, but he was a gullible diplomat, he had almost sold out Kashmir for free to Musharraf, but some senior ministers in the NDA government didn't allow that to happen. Why do you think Musharraf was so angry and complaint about the sabotage? Because he had almost got the best deal for Pakistan at our expense.

Unfortunately past NDA government failed miserably in handling our foreign relations. Officials handling the Kargil Episode were a lot similar to those who handled Indo-China conflict during 1962, cowards.

Tronic

The problem with laying claim on Pakistani Kashmir is that it is infested with pro-Pakistani Mirpuri Punjabis who label themselves "Kashmiri" and since they have been funneled into the Northern Areas, vastly changing the demographics, they suppress the poor people of the Northern Areas and become voice of all POK.

I know I got a lot of flak for this last time, but I will say it again, it is not in India's interests to consider the Mirpuri Punjabis as "Kashmiris", because frankly, they are not. It was but a British divide and rule tactic which landed that strip of Punjab in "Kashmir". Those chaps are no different than the Pakistani Punjabis and therefore they despise the idea of joining India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The problem with laying claim on Pakistani Kashmir is that it is infested with pro-Pakistani Mirpuri Punjabis who label themselves "Kashmiri" and since they have been funneled into the Northern Areas, vastly changing the demographics, they suppress the poor people of the Northern Areas and become voice of all POK.

I know I got a lot of flak for this last time, but I will say it again, it is not in India's interests to consider the Mirpuri Punjabis as "Kashmiris", because frankly, they are not. It was but a British divide and rule tactic which landed that strip of Punjab in "Kashmir". Those chaps are no different than the Pakistani Punjabis and therefore they despise the idea of joining India.
We don't invite the mirpuris and sponsor a program to "cleanse" Kashmir of them just like our people (Kashmiri Pandits) here suffered at their sponsored act.
We need to make a start somewhere.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

Once we take it back by force only than we should draft the policy to expel these so called Kashmiri's out of the State and pay no attention to any organization who takes up their case on humanitarian ground.

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
POK is a lost cause for india.

lets be practical. there is no way we could evict the large amount of mirpuris who have been there for centuries. the area known as "azad kashmir" will never agree to join india. the gilgit and baltistan area, however is something we should focus on. there is a large amount of dissenters in that province, who want azaadi from pakistan, and are looking towards india for help.

but problem is...these people don't want to be a part of india either. therefore, would it make sense for us to help them? once they get azaadi from pakistan and become an independent state, it would only open up pandoras box and strengthen the movement in indian administered kashmir.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Meh, no azaadi. They come back HOME. They are openly saying they are Indian subjects and India has to do something.

As far as I am concerned, I want the GB part back more than anything else.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Meh, no azaadi. They come back HOME.
Don't know about them. But the land comes back HOME for sure - Territorial Integrity.
And as far as the men are concerned, people aren't objects - they are free to stay or leave. Their call ...

Regards,
Virendra

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
Meh, no azaadi. They come back HOME. They are openly saying they are Indian subjects and India has to do something.

As far as I am concerned, I want the GB part back more than anything else.
that's great..but they don't want india either.

historically speaking, they aren't even a part of the kashmiri state. this is what they believe, and this is what they want: a state independent from india, pakistan and kashmir.

they only want to use the fact that they are technically indian citizens as a stepping stone.

even balochis call for indian intervention. they don't want to join the indian confederation.

agentperry

sindh, balochistan and now pok with gilgit, all are standing against state of pakistan. on the other hand power of pakistan in anti India movt like kashmir and khalistan movt are now weak and dont have that much momentum.
surely India had aligned with international players to stage this drama. as west is increasingly getting pro India, pakistan dismemberment is getting near reality.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles