Pakistan begins production of drone planes

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

Updated on Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:20 IST Tags:pakistan, drone planes

Islamabad: Pakistan has commenced production of drone planes in the country in collaboration with an Italian company, TV reports said Thursday.

The pilotless aircraft, called Falco UAV, is being produced at the country's Kamra aeronautical complex in collaboration with the Italian firm Selex Galileo, GEO TV said.

Chief Air Marshal Farhat Hussain, head of the complex, said the Falco UAV is important for the country's defence and the planes will add to the professional capabilities of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).

Farhat said Pakistan is now among the group of countries that manufactures drone planes.

The system will be used mainly for aerial reconnaissance and information gathering, but later on the UAVs will be equipped with weapon systems to carry out offensive operations, he said.

IANS

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pak Air Force begins production of pilotless drones

Updated on Thursday, August 20, 2009, 23:47 IST Tags:pakistan, drone planes

Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday launched the indigenous production of pilotless drones, days after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani pressed the US to transfer the sensitive technology for a more potent type used by the American military to target the Taliban.

The Pakistan Aeronautical Complex at Kamra in Punjab province has commenced producing Falco unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in collaboration with Selex Galileo of Italy, which has also designed the pilotless planes. The co-production project was inaugurated by Air Marshal Farhat Hussain Khan.

During the meeting of US envoy to the region Richard Holbrook on August 17, Gilani had asked the US to provide drone technology to Pakistan to enable its armed forces to take action against terrorists.

The Falco will be used "keeping in view the current regional and global challenges" and will greatly enhance the operational capability of the Pakistan Air Force, Air Marshal Khan said.

He described the addition of the UAV co-production facility as "a major step towards the long-term goal of self-reliance in military aviation industry".

Other officials said the Falco will "address the present and future surveillance and reconnaissance needs of the Pakistan Air Force". The UAV production facility was established over the past two years.

The officials said the machines and equipment inducted for the project represented a quantum leap in the capabilities of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, especially in the field of composites.

The roll-out of the first Falco UAV is scheduled for the "near future", officials said.

US military generally uses MQ-1 Predator which is an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). It can serve in a reconnaissance role and fire two AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. The aircraft is in use in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Drone attacks have killed scores of Taliban and al Qaeda militants. In the latest such strike Pakistan Tehrik-e-Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud was reportedly killed.

Bureau Report

sky

what ever they have means india will to have a response to it.if we can put satellites in to space then i think it safe to say we make our own UAV if we wanted to.if they are making there own UAV why are they begging america for drones..i dont get it?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
what ever they have means india will to have a response to it.if we can put satellites in to space then i think it safe to say we make our own UAV if we wanted to.if they are making there own UAV why are they begging america for drones..i dont get it?
Are you Indian ? i m just a bit confused with that UK flag .

According to this article , its Italian technology in these drones and Pakistan is trying to acquire American drones technology too and this is all about having technology both many countries .

Will America give this technology to Pakistan or not ? its the biggest question mark because for sure these drones would be used against India .

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Pakistanis tried making UAVs but they ended up as good as RC planes. Hence they signed an Agreement with Italian company to make these UAVs. They arent Drones yet.

sky

i was born and rasied in britian ,my wife and both my parents were born and raised in gujarat .i love both britian and india equally well

:greatbr::india:

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

i was born and rasied in britian ,my wife and both my parents were born and raised in gujarat .i love both britian and india equally well

:greatbr::india:

Thanks for the info . you are British Indian

Vikramaditya

Country flag

According to this article , its Italian technology in these drones and Pakistan is trying to acquire American drones technology too and this is all about having technology both many countries .

Will America give this technology to Pakistan or not ? its the biggest question mark because for sure these drones would be used against India .
It depend on Pakistan abilities to ................ .

Country flag
against Bigger drones SYPDER would be highly effective, also we have many different radars that will pick these drones up in our airspace.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
pak is making so many uav,i wonder how it will affect war situation...
And they want U.S. uav too.

Country flag
this is more a reconissance drone with no offensive capability, unlike our UAV's which are all offensive, if USA gives any tech then China will also get it.

Vikramaditya

Country flag
guys do you have any idea or pic of HAL/DRDO Gagan Tactical UAV and HAL/DRDO Pawan uavs.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Consider this a strict warning against posting of useless rants/flamebaits/senseless posts on this thread. If you dont have anything useful to say, dont!

Vikramaditya

Country flag
General Atomics Avenger

Avenger is powered by a jet engine, and its design includes stealth features such as internal weapons storage, and an "S" shaped exhaust for reduced heat and radar signature.

IBM

Wat ever is the conditions in P akistan in the last 62 yrs .She has not compromised on her defence. I fear worst in near future. India might lack behind Pakistan in defence in near future.thanks to red tapism and beaurucracy. God save India.:tank::tank::india::india::india:

Quickgun Murugan

Wat ever is the conditions in P akistan in the last 62 yrs .She has not compromised on her defence. I fear worst in near future. India might lack behind Pakistan in defence in near future.thanks to red tapism and beaurucracy. God save India.:tank::tank::india::india::india:
Have you heard the saying, "Choice is an Illusion"? India is a victim of too many choices and Pakistan is not. That is why our MMRCA is still undecided and Pakistan has only J-10 to choose. I have always admired how Pakistan uses its limited resources optimally to always maintain more than a minimum deterrence level against India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles