Pak would change attitude if US leaves Afghan: McCain

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
fullstory

Pak would change attitude if US leaves Afghan: McCain

Washington, Oct 6 (PTI) A top Republican leader today cautioned that Pakistan, in particular ISI, would change its behaviour with respect to terrorists once again if it got an inkling that the United States is about to leave Afghanistan.

"I guarantee you, if we send the signal to Pakistan that we're leaving, I can only imagine the adjustments that will be made in Pakistan -- Pakistani government's behaviour, including the ISI if they think we're leaving," Senator John McCain said in an interview to Fox Business.

Noting that one can't ignore the lessons of history, McCain said: "After we helped the Afghans drive the Russians out of Afghanistan, we left the area completely, had nothing to do with it. And guess what? The Taliban eventually took over and they began working with al-Qaeda."

Observing that's part of history, McCain said: "That's just history.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Like how?...reinstate Taliban as the Power centre?...Will Russia and Iran Allow it?.. What is the use of all those American lives lost in the war?...What are the strategic implications for the US because of it?.... What are the goals reached by the war on terror?...

McCain has gone nuts I guess...

johnee

Mc Cain is wrong. In contrast, Pak would stick to the attitude more passionately if US withdraws because it has worked. If US withdraws, that would mean Afghanistan being left to mercy of Talibani dogs and their Pakistani masters. Why would Pak change its successful attitude then?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
american`s leaving

Like how?...reinstate Taliban as the Power centre?...Will Russia and Iran Allow it?.. What is the use of all those American lives lost in the war?...What are the strategic implications for the US because of it?.... What are the goals reached by the war on terror?...

i don`t know what goals were reached by wot but certainly pak they will try to install a gov which is favorable to their interest and so that they can have army at their eastern border. u know strategic depth which they will get after american leaving :twizt::twizt:

ppgj

Mc Cain is wrong. In contrast, Pak would stick to the attitude more passionately if US withdraws because it has worked. If US withdraws, that would mean Afghanistan being left to mercy of Talibani dogs and their Pakistani masters. Why would Pak change its successful attitude then?
johnee, my reading of the news item is that mccain is saying the same thing you are saying. read the 2nd and 3rd paras. he is saying if the yankees leave, the ISI and their present equation with the taliban etc..('cos of american presence) will be readjusted to the old equation. so he is advising against, in a way, yankees should not leave.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian

If 30,000 ISAF troops cannot control more than 30% of Afghanistan (70% area is under Taliban influence), how do you think can Russia and Iran counter the rise of Taliban once US leaves. I dont think they will act directly, but like before through proxies like Northern Alliance, leaving Afghanistan a bloody mess.

McCain knows what he is talking about.

Once the US leaves, Pakistan will once again be back to its old ways, and shed this facade of its war on terror.

Goals of the WoT - There hasn't been a single terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles