Pak war hero honoured at India's recommendation

Gladiator

Watch full video

Sat, Jul 25, 2009

New Delhi: Pakistan army’s Colonel Karnal Sher Khan, who died during the Kargil war, is remembered with great pride.

The man who fought on Tiger Hill from Pakistan's side was given the Nishan e Haidar, Pakistan’s highest gallantry award on the recommendation of the Indian Army.

Captain K Sher Khan's brother Sikandar Sheikh says, “Allah ka shukar hai ki humara dushman bhi koi busdil dushman nahi hai. Agar log kahen ki India busdil hai to main kahunga nahi kyuki usne aelania keh diya ki karnel sher hero hai (No enemy is a coward. I won’t call India coward because it proclaimed Sher Khan as a hero).”

Captain Khan had led an assault to re-capture Tiger Hill soon after Indian troops had taken it and had lost his life in the process.

Ten years after Kargil, Karnal Sher Khan is a folk hero. His images visible everywhere, his native village has even been renamed after him.

Sikandar Sheikh says, "Ek game hai yeh. circikete ek game hai, Chakka mara..mara. Ye ek game hai. Cup milna hai bahadur ko. Cup Kernel Sher ko mila.aur wo bhi dushman ke kehe par (War’s a cricket game, but the winner has got the cup awarded by the opponent)."

On the other side too, valour was prized but the culture was different.

Instances of the Indian soldiers tortured as prisoners of war (PoW) by the Pakistani army can’t be forgotten easily.

However, captain Khan's family, unaware of the torture of Indian troops at Kargil, agree there must be a code of honour among warriors.

Watch full video

Pak war hero honoured at India's recommendation

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Look at my signature. It says it all.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I read about this man during the Kargil War updates, a decade ago.

Om3357

It is so good to hear such a gesture from our great army, but am equally saddened to discover that it is not reciprocated. Instead, they torture our POWs and don't accept the bodies of their war-heroes.

Kumar

Country flag
It is so good to hear such a gesture from our great army, but am equally saddened to discover that it is not reciprocated. Instead, they torture our POWs and don't accept the bodies of their war-heroes.
I still remember the way they had treated with the first patrol party which found that there are intruders in Kargil.

This PAK Army should take this as a lesson and learn not to torture POW. Their attitude towards the POW's shows the hatred they have for Indians.

johnee

I somehow feel that such gestures only embolden our enemy. They seem to believe that Indians in general have a threshold(of human values) that Indians wont cross. And Pakistanis try to manipulate this feature to their advantage.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Beg to differ, this just shows the world at large we are not animals, and we are not hypocrites either. We stick to our Culture, our morals, and dont propogate something and do something different.

Its just weak people who think that acts of civility will be seen as weakness! We shouldnt look at it that way. Let Pakistanis be what they want to be, its because of that, that they are seen as the problem makers all over, and we Indians are looked upon in a different manner.

bhramos

Country flag
He is a real hero,
we are exemption from all other armies around the world,
as all armies send soldiers first then commanders which is opposite in India,
so we could hear more higher decorated rank commanders die in war, even in War on Terror in J&K everyday,
the strategy that other armies use is to kill the commander,then automatically the spirit of the other soldiers decrease, but this is in applicable to IA, when our commander dies we get more spirit and go forward aggressively to complete our Mission,
but in this situation or thread , its first-time to see such the rank of a colonel die, its first time in history to hear who is other then Indian,afterall he was our blood before partition .
where in India, we have lots of stories about the bravery of Indian officers died for their regiments, the last i heard was INS Kurkuri's Commanding officer , he went to the seabed to sleep with his ship permanently after its was hit by enemy torpedo, we have different names to it in India, some call it as Bravery, some say it as Sacrifice, some say Indians are sentimental fools, what ever they call, but i salute my Great Indian Soldiers for their Sacrifice .

Antimony

this will be viewed by pakistanis as a sign of Indian weakness.
$crew what they think. We know we are better and so does the world
We do not live as per their poisonous ideals.

Its looks like the Pakistani captain's family gets it. They did not shy away from praising India's stance

ssingh49

finally, Pakistani army cannot deny it's involvement in the Kargil war. good play by Indian Army

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador

F.Faruqi

WaleedGilani

dude one more thing....he was not a colonel he was a captain although his name was kernal sher khan

Interceptor

Beg to differ, this just shows the world at large we are not animals, and we are not hypocrites either. We stick to our Culture, our morals, and dont propogate something and do something different.

Its just weak people who think that acts of civility will be seen as weakness! We shouldnt look at it that way. Let Pakistanis be what they want to be, its because of that, that they are seen as the problem makers all over, and we Indians are looked upon in a different manner.
No, ahmed this gesture is expected from a professional army its common all over the world, even the Israelis have done the same to us, I see you have placed too much politics to this event. These soldiers are only following orders and you know that we have dispute over Kashmir and it has brought us near nuclear war, Kashmir should be solved it will remove all ill between India Pakistan.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
No, ahmed this gesture is expected from a professional army its common all over the world, even the Israelis have done the same to us, I see you have placed too much politics to this event. These soldiers are only following orders and you know that we have dispute over Kashmir and it has brought us near nuclear war, Kashmir should be solved it will remove all ill between India Pakistan.
I agree, I know Pak Army has done its fair share of recommendations.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles