Pak rushes to match India's missile might

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Pak rushes to match India's missile might - dnaindia.com

Islamabad: Though Pakistan is vehemently denying modifying American-made Harpoon anti-ship missiles to target India, sources in the defence establishment conceded that the country's nuclear programme was largely India-centric.

The sources said the Pakistan's missile programme was based on a strategic requirement to build a diversified and survivable nuclear deterrent capable of targeting the bulkof Indian landmass.

They said although Pakistan had a small force of nuclear-capable combat aircraft, land-based ballistic missiles were set to become the mainstay of its nuclear strike force.

The sources said Pakistan began pursuing a ballistic missile programme in the early 1980s to develop a nuclear strike capability against India.

But they denied that Pakistan ever modified American missiles. "Pakistan did lack the technological resources, industrial infrastructure and human capital to undertake the development of ballistic missiles indigenously when it launched a programme to acquire the missile technology in the early 1980s," the sources said.

"However, Pakistan was helped by China and North Koreato develop a missile technology to counter check India," the sources said.

The sources said Pakistan was making frantic efforts to develop its missile technology because its Air Force had failed to augment its fleet of modern combat aircraft due to American sanctions which were designed in the past to slowdown Pakistani nuclear weapons programme.

After India and Pakistan conducted the May 1998 tests, American pressure combined with instability in Pakistan prevented external suppliers from selling high-tech nuclear-capable combat aircraft to Islamabad. As a result, the country feels it is lagging behind India in missile technology.

The sources said India's air combat, air-defense and long-range reconnaissance capabilities were compelling Pakistan to make more investments in acquiring ballistic missile-based capability.

Pakistan has already developed its solid-fuel Shaheen II missile which is capable of hitting Indiaanywhere within a range of 2,000 km

ahmedsid

Top Gun
To be frank, they are just trying to do whatever they can to put up the deterrence. I mean, all those F18s etc coming into India for trials and eventual acquisition has somewhat given them the jitters. The only way they can match is with Missiles, just Like Iran and its a wonderful tactic they are using.

I wont say they are behind us in missile tech, for Eg: they got a Tomahawk equivalent, Babur, while our Sub Sonic Cruise Missile Nirbhay is under development. While ours is ready, they will have the Ship Based and Air Based Cruise Missiles ready I feel. We need a 1000KM Cruise missile asap, or else we must embark onto make the Brahmos under our own flag, with atleast 800KM range, and making it on our own wont affect the Missile range treaty Russia has signed.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Despite the brahmos's supersonic capaability (soon to be hypersonic) it's range to be a limiting factor in it's capabilities.We should work to overcome it no doubt our scientists have the capability to fill in the gaps where the Russians have been involved and probably even expand on it.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
you cant be sure whether the range of brahomos intentionaly declared below 300 km to enable Russia to comply with MTCR Act.

bhogta

Sorry for English in advance,

I have a little doubt,Please some body answer. How on the earth by just one and two trail there missile becomes operational, because i am working in the defense field and from my experience, this is a even a difficult task for even USA and Russian too.

ahmedsid

Top Gun

I have a little doubt,Please some body answer. How on the earth by just one and two trail there missile becomes operational, because i am working in the defense field and from my experience, this is a even a difficult task for even USA and Russian too.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, I will willingly correct myself if proven so. Well, the Pakistanis get the missiles from NK and China, and the Chinese and NKoreans have perfected these missiles, so why should Pakistan again test them over and over again? Why? You wouldnt if you were Pakistan, would you? God Speed

Country flag
With the Pakistani missile match up why would the need to keep up when they have all of India covered? We have to extend our ranges for China but they don't have that issue, or are they using it to justify longer missiles for another agenda? Harpoon is a 300km range anti ship missile how will they modify it to make it something more?? We also have Harpoon; and by now probably know the missile inside out.Neither Harpoon or Babur are ballistic missiles where the real races take place. Babur maybe longer range but flying at MACH .8 it will give us more time to intercept it;in a twisted way it is a positive.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Really tired of these news coming out everyday about pakistan wanting this to match india and then that. Give us a break you guys. Oh no, giving us a break from all this is a terror attack. Bloody hell, continue to try achieving parity with india. Would not mind that at all. It will make you worse than bankrupt. And I have no clue what that can be!!!

Country flag
In many ways the countries that are arming Pakistan are doing more harm than doing any good, this will permanently prevent Pakistan from developing economically and keep them in a state of paranoia.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

because the manual of missile was in Chines and in Korean language.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Pakistan can only "match" what is gifted to her by her patrons. They may get missiles as they help their patrons keep India in check. Now that the purpose of targeting India is achieved, I doubt there will be any more goodies coming their way.

In space program, the same patrons don't benefit by donating to Pakistan. So they can't even fire the basic SLVs.

This talk of parity or matching is BS. Its all about the interests that Pakistan is serving as a client state while destroying itself.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Really tired of these news coming out everyday about pakistan wanting this to match india and then that.
They are suffering from inferiority complex, their Govt (Pakistan Army) want that way..........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles