Pak nukes are in safe hands: India

Country flag
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\04\20\story_20-4-2009_pg7_4

Pak nukes are in safe hands: India

GAUHATI: Indian Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh said on Sunday he believed Pakistan’s nuclear assets were in safe hands. “We have been assured that their nuclear assets are in safe hands and I do not want to disbelieve that assurance,” he told reporters in Guwahati when asked if the Taliban could misuse Pakistan’s nuclear assets and pose a threat to India. Sectarianism was the greatest threat to Pakistan, he added. Addressing an election rally, Singh also rejected Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad’s charge that Congress was to blame for the Babri Masjid incident, saying the party “can’t be blamed” for the mosque’s demolition in 1992. online

pyromaniac

Founding Member
I hope that means that the nukes are in "America's hands"

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I'm disappointed that our Prime Minister is saying that, knowing well enough how close Pakistan is to complete Talibanization.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I'm disappointed that our Prime Minister is saying that, knowing well enough how close Pakistan is to complete Talibanization.
Just another disappointment amongst many... we should've gotten used to it by now...

Flint

Seems like you want the PM to say what you want to hear.

Country flag
i don't believe it, china can always proliferate some more nukes if pakistan is out.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
With Talibs running wild all over the pakistan, without any one checking them, i dont think MMS should have given the certificate to Pakistan...............

Security implications is only for India and not for any one else, as those nukes are ment for India and if some thing wrong happens they will be launched at no one but India......

Therefore PM should have be more careful in saying these things in Public, more so when reports are comming every day about the internal instablility of Pakistan.

Who so ever has given the assurance about the nukes in the hands of only muslim country as the Paksitani want to call, is nothing but false assurance, made without any iota of truth in it, simply to carm public, nothing else.

Country flag
Pakistani nukes are Islamic nukes to be shared with all islamic nations, I would bet atleast half a dozen other countries secretly have nukes because of pakistan.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I am sure PM has had some basis to say this. Else there was no need for him to comment on the matter.

There have been speculations that immediately after 9/11, USA gave Pakistan an ultimatum to hand over the nuke control to them or else...

May be this is what the PM has been assured about!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
There is overwhelming but under reported evidence that Pakistan's Nukes are under effective control of Americans. They have installed PALs on their nukes and every move made by PA with these nukes is observed. I'm sure this is what PM might have been informed about and so the consequent statement.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
After reading all this I'm a little shocked... I thought all nuclear warheads throughout the world in any country would be equipped with such basic safety features...

But, thinking about it again, I realised that we were discussing about Pakistan... so, not much use expecting too much out of it...

Anyways, from the movies, it did seem as if all nuclear warheads would be equipped with such safety features to prevent accidental or unauthorised detonations of the fissile material...

Any idea about the PAL status of our warheads ???

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Ok...returning to the crux of the topic.
I don't see a nuclear Pakistan(or call it Talibanistan) if the Taliban takes up Islamabad.
The last thing China or US would want to see would be a nuclear terrorist nation.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i have every reason to believe what my PM has to say. i cant see a reason why would have the PM pass on this statement without being convinced on his part that the pakistani nukes are safe. at a time when india has pakistan by its collars and there is no real attempt to let them off the hook coming of this statement is extremely significant. PM would have certainly not passed this statement had this been told to him by any of the top notch pakistanis and it looks almost certain that this statement has all the hallmarks of making its way from uncle sam's mouth and if that is so then as pointed out by DD there are reasonable reasons to feel secured. as a matter of fact till last year there was a lot of talk of pakistani nukes in the international media mostly originating from US talking about the security of these nukes in case there is an islamic invasion in that country but now that kind of alarm is no more and the security of those nukes is now made as a passing remark and not a standard point around which discussions are focused. PM's statement has to be also seen in context with one of the statements passed by asif ali zardari where he had talked about no nuclear weapon use on india, there sure is US involvement in all this and i do get a sense for the moment, there has been something going on since the PPP took to power in pakistan, all of a sudden all that talk that i just mentioned fizzled off since they have taken over. something for sure has happened back doors in pakistan in the last one year, that makes PM speak what he has.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles