Pak Nuke Arsenal Bigger, More Advanced Than India

sandeepdg

STOCKHOLM: After racing ahead of India in ballistic and cruise missiles Pakistan seems to be surging ahead on the nuclear front too according to the recent statistics of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), learnt PKKH today (Thursday).

A series of recent estimates by international nuclear watchdogs and reputed think tanks hold that Pakistan has a total of 70 to 90 warheads compared to India's 60 to 80.

Pakistan already posses far superior delivery systems than rival India which include F-16s, long-range ballistic and cruise missiles as well as an advanced second strike capability. With a range of between 2000 km to 3,500 km, Pakistan's Ghauri and Shaheen (Hatf Series) nuclear-capable are capable delivering nuclear warheads to any part of India. The 4,500km Shaheen III will also be able to hit Tel Aviv once inducted.

In contrast, India has had a series of failed missile tests recently and the only nuclear-capable ballistic missile in India's arsenal which can be said to be 100% operational as of now is the short-range Prithvi missile (150-300km). Though the 700-km Agni-I and 2,000-km-plus Agni-II ballistic missiles are being 'inducted' into the armed forces, the earliest when these missiles can be 'fully-operational in the numbers required' is by 2012.

India's status as a nuclear power has also been described as a "myth" by the scientist who carried out its controversial hydrogen bomb tests in 1998.

He said the device had only "fizzled". The claims by the test director K Santhanam have provoked an outcry in India which treasures its nuclear status as a symbol of its power in Asia where it has been locked in an arms race with both Pakistan and China.

SIPRI estimates there are a whopping 22,600 active, inactive and stored nuclear warheads around the globe, out of which Russia has more than 12,000 warheads, US has 9,600, France comes third with 300, followed by UK with 225 and Israel has an arsenal of 80 warheads.

http://www.pakistankakhudahafiz.com/2010/06/03/pak-nuke-arsenal-bigger-more-advanced-than-india/

sandeepdg

India lags behind Pakistan in nuclear armoury: US expert

NEW DELHI: The nuclear information director of Federation of American Scientists (FAS), Hans M Kristensen, has sought to settle the debate on India and Pakistan's nuclear arsenal by declaring that Pakistan doesn't only have more warheads and fissile material but also better delivery systems for such weapons.

Referring to a report in TOI last week, he said that India might again be discovering that Pakistan has a few more nuclear weapons than India. ``As far as I can gauge, apart from nuclear testing where India started first, Pakistan has always been a little ahead in warheads, fissile material and delivery systems,'' said Kristensen in his latest write-up for FAS.

The TOI report was based on a study carried out by Kristensen and Robert Norris which said that, apart from Pakistan having more nuclear warheads, it had fissile material for 90 more warheads. India, it said, had fissile material for 60-105 warheads.

Kristensen, however, went on to say that neither country can claim any nuclear moral high ground. ``Both are increasing their nuclear arsenals, both are producing more fissile material for nuclear weapons, and both are diversifying the means to deliver nuclear weapons and extending their range,'' he said. As per his latest estimate, while India has 60-80 warheads, Pakistan has 70-90.

``The two countries are now at a warhead level about equal to that of Israel (80 warheads). But whereas it took Israel 40 years to reach that level, India and Pakistan have done so in only 12 years. And they're apparently not done,'' he added.

Kristensen is also co-author of the `Nuclear Notebook' column in the `Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists', which claims to be the most accurate source of information on nuclear weapons and weapon facilities available to the public, and the `World Nuclear Forces' overview in the SIPRI Yearbook.

According to Kristensen, Indian and Pakistani security will probably be served better by trying soon to define just how big a nuclear force is sufficient for minimum deterrence so that "prudent planning" doesn't take them to a new and more dangerous level.

``Although neither government wants to say so publicly, India and Pakistan are in effect in a nuclear arms race. It might not be of the intensity of the Cold War arms race between the Soviet Union and the United States, but it is a race nonetheless for capability and systems,'' he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ear-armoury-US-expert/articleshow/6271845.cms

Country flag
A comparison of fissile material maybe a better measure, currently India has enough fissile material for 700-1000 warheads . When the Fast breeders are up and running there will be enough fissile material produced annually for 100-200 warheads from each reactor. The fissile material can remain ready to use at any time. These reports have been coming out for years they should be taken with a grain of salt. The question should be are these nukes and missiles safe in an unstable country like Pakistan??

Agantrope

We are trying to maintain a good boy so our nuclear arsenal detail is not yet out.
My Damn, which nation other than USA and USSR(formerly) to open how many they have, i think even russia havent done that.

FBR starts then we can produce atleast 8-9 warheads/month which is a damn good number.

JBH22

Pakistan being conventionally weaker is expanding its nuclear arsenal to protect itself on the other hand the hundred warheads we have is credible for the minimum deterrent and since we have limited defence budget it is better to modernise our conventional forces because the probability of using them is higher than that of nuclear.But we should ensure there is not a wide disparity between us.

Country flag
Pakistan being conventionally weaker is expanding its nuclear arsenal to protect itself on the other hand the hundred warheads we have is credible for the minimum deterrent and since we have limited defence budget it is better to modernise our conventional forces because the probability of using them is higher than that of nuclear.But we should ensure there is not a wide disparity between us.

There is a wide disparity Pakistan is using centrifuge method uranium based bombs, we can make plutonium based bombs which we have a large stockpile, we have also tested fusion or hydrogen bombs and are rumored to have neutron bomb capability, as well as a decent amount of tactical nukes in our inventory.

Param

There is a wide disparity Pakistan is using centrifuge method uranium based bombs, we can make plutonium based bombs which we have a large stockpile, we have also tested fusion or hydrogen bombs and are rumored to have neutron bomb capability, as well as a decent amount of tactical nukes in our inventory.
Our hydrogen bomb is a joke. Even Pakistan could be having an untested thermonuclear weapon. Anyway I don't really believe this number of 60-80. I think this figure has been around for five or six years. Doesn't make any sense.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ah these NPA walas who will tell these guys the more bumbs pakistan has doesn't mean it should worry india rather it should worries west.You never know one of such nuke device from pakistan going off in NYC like Twin towers were bought down or in London tube .So indians khao piyo so jao.nothing to worry.Remember "SAME To you" cartoon.

Country flag
Our hydrogen bomb is a joke. Even Pakistan could be having an untested thermonuclear weapon. Anyway I don't really believe this number of 60-80. I think this figure has been around for five or six years. Doesn't make any sense.
I don't think one test can make the whole hydrogen bomb program a failure, maybe it was intentianally presented this way??? After all we are the largest tritium-Heavy water producer in the world ;so another major disparity with Pakistan, and there was the Bush nuclear deal that excludes the heavy water production by India.

Last edited:

gogbot

Our hydrogen bomb is a joke.
How have you reached that conclusion ?

Even Pakistan could be having an untested thermonuclear weapon. Anyway I don't really believe this number of 60-80. I think this figure has been around for five or six years. Doesn't make any sense.
We tested Themo-nuke , and we produce plutonium as as large heavy water production. Pak has no such claim.

Param

I don't think one test can make the whole hydrogen bomb program a failure, maybe it was intentianally presented this way??? After all we are the largest tritium-Heavy water producer in the world ;so another major disparity with Pakistan.
even if we if today we have a working hydrogen bomb what good is it as deterence when nobody knows whether that would work for sure.what kind of a country would intentionally present its nuke test as a failure. We believe in minimum deterence and for that our enemies need to believe we a have perfect & proven weapon. intentionally presenting that as a dud makes no sense.Back in 98 when i was a school kid I completely believed what the govt said just like most Indians and believed doubts raised in the west regarding yields were propaganda. I too remember some scientist saying we had the capability for a 200kt weapon & neutron bomb. But being a grown up I take what the govt says with a pinch of salt. Nobody except a few Indian scientists believes that the total yield was more than 20-25 kts. The scientists incharge of the program probably got promotions.

Last edited:

luckyy

the report is speculative in nature....

it states pakistan F-16 can carry nuke....

absoluty wrong , US has no incorporate nuke carrying capabilities on these planes , neither pakistan is allowed to modify them to do so ..

Country flag
even if we if today we have a working hydrogen bomb what good is it as deterence when nobody knows whether that would work for sure.what kind of a country would intentionally present its nuke test as a failure. We believe in minimum deterence and for that our enemies need to believe we a have perfect & proven weapon. intentionally presenting that as a dud makes no sense.Back in 98 when i was a school kid I completely believed what the govt said just like most Indians and believed doubts raised in the west regarding yields were propaganda. I too remember some scientist saying we had the capability for a 200kt weapon & neutron bomb. But being a grown up I take what the govt says with a pinch of salt. Nobody except a few Indian scientists believes that the total yield was more than 20-25 kts. The scientist incharge of the program was later mad a rajya sabha MP while others probably got promotions.
It is better to downplay or underscore our capability then to reveal everything look at it from the context of the NPT and the heat Bush went thru to give India a nuclear deal when it is a non signatory to the NPT. Also look at the present situation when chinese tried to give Pakistan a similar deal thinking they are USA only to make themselves look like idiots. This gives you a picture of our situation, by presenting it as a failure pakistan and China are content it failed and we don't have to end up in a nuclear race with China,using Pakistan as a proxy. While being able to test means the program is at an advanced stage.

Last edited:

luckyy

few thing i couldn't understand ,we did nuke test in 1974 , why we need to conduct it again in 1998...

nobody even know what/why we tested it again after 24 years...then how come these report says that india has such a such number of nukes warheads

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What I wanted to say was told by JH word for word!!!
Nuclear weapons are not weapons of war. China has a arsenal of about 200 which is a deterrent for the US whereas the US over 5000.
David albright a few years ago had put a figure of about 2000 bombs worth weapons grade plutonium in India. And it was quite a few years ago. The size of Indias nuke arsenal is a policy decision. Even in the late 90s western intel said Indias arsenal was about 60-100 bombs and even now it says the same. Just means india is happy with that figure. Pakistan is not and expanding. that will exert a lot of pressure on its economy. Making bombs is one thing, maintaining it is another. I'd rather have good conventional bombs. GPS guided, bunker busters etc... Which surely will be used in war.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The question is how many we need to deter Pakistan and for god sake...... whatever we have is capable to deter both.

How on earth a nation (Pakistan) who claim that whatever she detonated was from its inventory can be of sub kiloton yield. India has tested nukes twice with better yield therefore categorically we have better nukes than Pakistan. Rest are assumption of a jingo.

Agantrope

Deterrents are always a top secret in any nation's security. I hope no one would have shared that our hydrogen bomb is dud, if someone shared pls do take care to elaborate that.

luckyy

india tested nuke twice , 1974 & 1998 ...pakistan just once tested it's nukes..

do any body belived that one can make 60-70 warheads by just testing it once or twice...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok guys, a failed or successful test both is useful test. So if the thermonuclear test was a success or not, it gave enough data for our scientists to know where they were right or where they were wrong. A failed test also was as good a successful one for us to simulate future weapons designs.

a couple of 10KTs bombs killing 200,000 ended World War II.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Even if it was dud it will still act as deterrence cause we tested it which is true nothing but true. Its not our headache to plan our deterrence accordingly if our H bomb was allegedly dud but our enemy's to guess if it was or wasn't. Our agencies are answerable to army and they still maintain that it was a success. I will rather believe them more than a western think tank with some hidden agenda; we dont know.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles