- Mar 24, 2009
Pak appeals against HC order freeing JuD chief Hafiz Saeed - Pakistan - World - The Times of IndiaISLAMABAD: Punjab government on Friday filed a petition in Pakistan's Supreme Court challenging the release from house arrest of outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, linked to the Mumbai terror attacks.
The appeal against the Lahore High Court order, filed in the apex court this morning, said Saeed needed to be detained for his own "protection".
Saeed, also the founder of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, was freed from detention on the orders of the Lahore High Court on June 2 after spending nearly six months under house arrest.
He (Saeed) cannot move without informing the government. According to my information he cannot move to any place," Punjab government's lawyer Rana Sanaullah said.
Pakistani officials maintain that the restrictions imposed on JuD by UN Security Council - including a ban on travel and freezing the organisation's bank accounts - are being implemented.
59-year-old Saeed and several of his aides were placed under house arrest in December last year in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks following which his organisation was declared a front for the LeT by the United Nations Security Council. They were all subsequently freed.
India had recently expressed concern at the delay by Pakistani authorities in appealing against the release of Saeed. Since his release, Saeed has held meetings with several political hardliners and militant leaders, including United Jehad Council chief Syed Salahuddin.