P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

Rage

DFI TEAM
US OKs $2.1 billion Boeing arms sale to India

17 Mar 2009, 0337 hrs IST, REUTERS

WASHINGTON: The US State Department said it had cleared a $2.1 billion sale to India of eight Boeing Co P-8I maritime patrol aircraft, the largest US arms transfer to India to date.

The department said in a March 12 notice to Congress it would license the direct commercial sale after having factored in "political, military, economic, human rights and arms control considerations."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ng_arms_sale_to_India/articleshow/4274535.cms

x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x

U.S. ok's record $2.1 billion arms sale to India

Jim Wolf
2009/03/16 at 6:34 pm EDT

WASHINGTON, Mar. 16, 2009 (Reuters) — President Barack Obama's administration has cleared a $2.1 billion sale to India of eight Boeing Co P-8I maritime patrol aircraft, the largest U.S. arms transfer to India to date.

The State Department said in a March 12 notice to the U.S. Congress that it would license the direct commercial sale having factored in "political, military, economic, human rights and arms control considerations."

The Indian navy was the first international customer for the P-8, a long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft.

Boeing says it can operate effectively over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare; search and rescue; maritime interdiction; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance.

India chose it over several rivals, including EADS Airbus A319, according to Flightglobal.com, an online aviation-trade publication.

Boeing has said it would deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of a contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015. Derived from Boeing's commercial 737 airframe, its is similar to the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.

In January 2008, Washington and New Delhi sealed India's previous largest U.S. arms purchase -- six Lockheed Martin Corp C-130J Super Hercules military transport planes valued at about $1 billion, including related gear, training and spares.

Boeing's P-8I contract is with the Indian Ministry of Defense. The sale includes associated support equipment, spares, training and logistical support through June 2019, the State Department said in its notice.

It said direct arms-trade "offsets" were expected to include engineering service, manufacturing and integrated logistics-support projects totaling $641.3 million.

Lockheed and Boeing, respectively the Pentagon's No. 1 and No. 2 suppliers by sales, are among warplane makers vying to sell India 126 new multi-role fighters in a deal that could be worth more than $10 billion.

Boeing is offering its F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet. Lockheed is pitching its F-16. They are competing with warplanes built in Russia, France, Sweden and by a European consortium.

One stumbling block for Boeing and Lockheed has been India's qualms about standard "end-user" pacts designed to prevent leakage of sensitive U.S. technology to third countries. Such agreements are a routine part of U.S. government-to-government arms sale.

A similar form, known as DSP-83, had to be signed by Indian authorities for Boeing to have submitted its license request for the P-8I deal.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre52f6x5-us-india-usa-arms/
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090316/pl_nm/us_india_usa_arms_1

shiv

plus this is another con against them in the MRCA deal...they just stopped the engines without giving any prior notice......

they even did this with UK and australia....and we are not even in the NATO

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
As I mentioned in another earlier thread, I think it was just a goof-up from an American Defence Ministry official who mistakenly and overzealously blocked it without thinking of the implications.

After a discrete interval, the engines will be authorized for export... No worries about that I think...

EnlightenedMonk

I have said "I think"... it is not anything from a newspaper...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
guys have a look in to this, seems like it is not as major issue as media is making it out

http://www.exportlawblog.com/

and this in particular: "Upon further investigation by me, I have discovered that the Indian press accounts of the situation involving the GE engines being installed in the INS Shivalik were inaccurate and that the DDTC did not stop GE’s operationalization of the engines in order to conduct a review of U.S. policy regarding defense exports to India. Apparently the engines were not modified for military use and were therefore not listed on the United States Munitions List. Accordingly, export of the engines to India did not require a license from DDTC. However, since installation of the engines on a military frigate could be construed as a “defense service,” GE delayed work on the engines pending DDTC approval of a Technical Assistance Agreement (”TAA”) allowing that work. That TAA has now been granted.'

EnlightenedMonk

guys have a look in to this, seems like it is not as major issue as media is making it out

http://www.exportlawblog.com/

and this in particular: "Upon further investigation by me, I have discovered that the Indian press accounts of the situation involving the GE engines being installed in the INS Shivalik were inaccurate and that the DDTC did not stop GE’s operationalization of the engines in order to conduct a review of U.S. policy regarding defense exports to India. Apparently the engines were not modified for military use and were therefore not listed on the United States Munitions List. Accordingly, export of the engines to India did not require a license from DDTC. However, since installation of the engines on a military frigate could be construed as a “defense service,” GE delayed work on the engines pending DDTC approval of a Technical Assistance Agreement (”TAA”) allowing that work. That TAA has now been granted.'
Thanks for the news Nitesh...

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Sir it is not p-81 but P-8I....Here I stands for India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
With the range of P8 being lesser than the current TU 144, the Navy will soon have a requirement for longer range platform.

EnlightenedMonk

Yep... I hope they put a tender out for that too... Because the Tupolevs are getting old and need to be replaced pretty soon...

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
With the range of P8 being lesser than the current TU 144, the Navy will soon have a requirement for longer range platform.
Yusuf what maybe the strategic requirement more than IOR and except tu 144 what are the available option with us and what are the conditions with such bomber planes with respect to MRTC norms?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf what maybe the strategic requirement more than IOR and except tu 144 what are the available option with us and what are the conditions with such bomber planes with respect to MRTC norms?
Indian navy is betting on UAVs now so it's unlikely that any long range manned aircraft will be inducted. We might have these medium altitude long endurance UAVs operating from surface ships probaly armed fir ASW ops.

Auberon

Indian navy is betting on UAVs now so it's unlikely that any long range manned aircraft will be inducted. We might have these medium altitude long endurance UAVs operating from surface ships probaly armed fir ASW ops.
I believe India doesn't operate any UCAV's, our UAV's are just for R and O roles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles