P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
At this bloody point I will say we fucking lag the sense of national emergency
First order the ships late second take long time to build it third then take 2 years for trails
Yaha mujra chal raha hai kya
Waha Sala har 5 sal me ek Indian Navy ko add kar raha hai and we here are giving useless excuses of no money no capability no infra and other shits
It's all about will and how u see the threat
It's not impossible to build and add ships faster as this was the time when China increased its capabilities
In all u r investing in your shipyard so u will also get a good return and also use infra for private customers
And pls bloody hell bring private players too

Dharani

Country flag
Rr of government that they can't even place order for ships
100%, Navy is the sword arm of any "global power".
>The govt, IN, shipyards all are ensuring that we will be doing this RR perpetually.
>Govt has still not made a non-lapsable fund for defense which IN can tap into for warship construction and 0 push to private shipyards, private shipyards have either gone bankrupt or gone back to parent holding (L&T)
>Govt shipyards take the same time in finishing a frigate they took in the 80s, surely not a culture of urgency.
> DND can learn from what the Americans have done with the Burke Class, maybe instead of going for 5 ships, go for 15 over the next 20 years, cut down the design phase & any tooling time required by the yards.
All in all, what a clustertruck!
I come from a point of desperate hope & not hate.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
So if the contract is signed by 2027-28, add at-least 3 years before the first keel is laid and then another 6-7 years before the first ship is commissioned. So by 2038 we will surely have the first P18 commissioned. Hum sab buddhe ho jayenge tab tak.
Also by then, Kolkata class would be near end of service life. Tough to see India having more than 10 Destroyers in commission even in 2040!
My guess is 2027-28 contract, 2030-ish keel laying and 2036-37 commissioning. Up to 6 of these NGD may be built AFAIK. Construction will take 6-7 years for the first ship with the next iteration taking around 5-6 years.

BTW INS Kolkata was commissioned in 2014 so it will be around 22 years old at the time of 1st NGD being commissioned and with Mid Life refits will easily serve for another 10-15 years.

ladder

Country flag
My guess is 2027-28 contract, 2030-ish keel laying and 2036-37 commissioning. Up to 6 of these NGD may be built AFAIK. Construction will take 6-7 years for the first ship with the next iteration taking around 5-6 years.

BTW INS Kolkata was commissioned in 2014 so it will be around 22 years old at the time of 1st NGD being commissioned and with Mid Life refits will easily serve for another 10-15 years.
If your timelines are correct, dry docks of MDL and GRSE will be empty for about 5 years. ( last of P17A will be floated out by 2025).
So either P18 has to be expedited or repeat order for P17A has to be provided.
I am going for the likelihood repeat order for P17A.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
If your timelines are correct, dry docks of MDL and GRSE will be empty for about 5 years. ( last of P17A will be floated out by 2025).
P17B
  1. lrmfr
  2. uvls
  3. engine change from Ukrainian to British mt30 ?? :notsure:
  4. IEP ??
  5. more stealthier design
  6. better electronics
and at last fcuk RBU .

ShukantC

Country flag
i always find this confusing. We are using GE LM engines in our frigates but for both our destroyers class we went to Zorya.

can some one explain this?
I think because we were operating the Zorya type engines since the Rajput class. Even the Delhi class got em and the Kolkata and Vishakhapatnam classes are follow on updated classes of the Delhi class. I think just to carry on the ease of maintenance and the familiarity of the engines these are used presently.

I personally hope we go the RR MT-30 way coupled with Electric motors for a full IEP type propulsion component for the P18/NGD, which should help in powering all the future DEW/Laser systems that may be installed.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
I think because we were operating the Zorya type engines since the Rajput class. Even the Delhi class got em and the Kolkata and Vishakhapatnam classes are follow on updated classes of the Delhi class. I think just to carry on the ease of maintenance and the familiarity of the engines these are used presently.

I personally hope we go the RR MT-30 way coupled with Electric motors for a full IEP type propulsion component for the P18/NGD, which should help in powering all the future DEW/Laser systems that may be installed.

kind of make sense, but the problem i see is for destroyer we are using Zorya but when it comes to frigates we are going to GE LM and in Corvette we went to Pielstick. Dont you think 3 type of engines for 3 type of ships make its logistics problematic.

Electric propulsion is the way forward i agree.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

kind of make sense, but the problem i see is for destroyer we are using Zorya but when it comes to frigates we are going to GE LM and in Corvette we went to Pielstick. Dont you think 3 type of engines for 3 type of ships make its logistics problematic.

Electric propulsion is the way forward i agree.
The Corvettes use Diesel Engines and not Marine Gas Turbines like the Frigates and the Destroyers so they can’t be put in the same list. Also the Pielstick engines are made in India by Kirloskar with
license.

Chinmoy

Country flag
i always find this confusing. We are using GE LM engines in our frigates but for both our destroyers class we went to Zorya.

can some one explain this?
Vizag class was ordered back in 2009 and Nilgiri class in 2017. First reason of using Zorya in Destroyers and LM in Frigates.

Zorya class MGT produce 60,000 shp against 30,000 shp of LM2500 and 40,000 shp. Second reason for opting for Zorya in destroyers against LM2500 in frigates.

ladder

Country flag
Vizag class was ordered back in 2009 and Nilgiri class in 2017. First reason of using Zorya in Destroyers and LM in Frigates.

Zorya class MGT produce 60,000 shp against 30,000 shp of LM2500 and 40,000 shp. Second reason for opting for Zorya in destroyers against LM2500 in frigates.
Vikrant ADS keel was also laid in 2009 with 4x LM2500 GT.
And P17 Shivalik Class Frigate? They too have LM 2500 GT.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Vikrant ADS keel was also laid in 2009 with 4x LM2500 GT.
And P17 Shivalik Class Frigate? They too have LM 2500 GT.
Yes. 4 GE Engine for 110,000 shp vs 2 Zorya Engine for 100,000 shp

So you could see the difference here why Zorya was opted on top of GE for Vizag class. GE is more energy efficient then Zorya, but when it comes to raw propulsion power, which a destroyer needs more then an AC, Zorya beats GE hands down.

johnj

Considering the time frame, production capability and yards, IN place order when first p17a gets commissioned, unless next gen ssk order is placed. 7+4 ffg after ddg. So question, is their any other order for yards fill 7ffg and 2 ssk. ? thnks

johnj

too many ffg,In next 7 years 7+4= 11. and IN need more ddg for Blue water navy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles