Over 30 Taliban men sneak into J&K: NDTV exclusive

johnee

It wouldn't be impossible, it is impossible to have a watertight border. Although a few blind eyes may have been turned.
few blind eyes in indo-pak border in kashmir? thats pretty close to impossible.
even if IA doesnt know it, PA must surely know becoz it has launching pads of terrorists who are launched by giving them cover fire by breaking the ceasefire.
infiltration is easy only if one army is helping you against the other. not when if both are hostile to you. in this case, there must be a friendly army. and it is not difficult to guess which one it could be.

Pintu

It's nearly impossible, JK is not a porous border.

Pintu

didnt get it, pintuji. can you elaborate.
Johny, brother , Pak Army is not in a position that they can control Taliban, and I think they are not willing to let Taliban into Kashmir, since Talibs don't like LeT, JeM etc., so if Taliban enters in Kashmir, a sure infighting will start, and that will weaken terrorist's power of fighting, and moreover weaken Pak's case. After that this infiltration took place, That's why I am of that opinion.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
ISI may be (make that almost certainly) helping them, but with the direct approval of the Civilian authorities? I don't think so.
Besides who the real enemy is is not my call, it is that of the powers that be. They just tell people like me who they want dead (over simplification there but you get my point).
Even if ISI is helping them I doubt they are in control.

Don't get me started on the amount and type of aid that they have been given for doing very little, I am a subscriber to the 'reward them on credit for their progress' idea.
Where a country has an Army, in Pakistan it is the army that have a country, while ISI is answerable only to the army not to the parliament.

Sir please go through this article
Nawaz blames Musharraf for Kargil
I learnt about Kargil from Vajpayee, says Nawaz

Though this article claims that The then PM of Pakistan had the knowledge of Army activities, it also proves that he was not in control of the situation.
Kargil planned before Vajpayee's visit: Musharraf
Musharraf Vs. Sharif: Who's Lying?

Shiny Capstar

Professional
few blind eyes in indo-pak border in kashmir? thats pretty close to impossible.
even if IA doesnt know it, PA must surely know becoz it has launching pads of terrorists who are launched by giving them cover fire by breaking the ceasefire.
infiltration is easy only if one army is helping you against the other. not when if both are hostile to you. in this case, there must be a friendly army. and it is not difficult to guess which one it could be.
I was saying a few PA people could look the other way if they saw something happening. Not help them per se but not hinder them either.

Infiltration may be easier on the border with one army helping the would be infiltrators but without that help it is still possible. More risky yes (way more than halves your chances) but not undoable.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Where a country has an Army, in Pakistan it is the army that have a country, while ISI is answerable only to the army not to the parliament.

Sir please go through this article
Nawaz blames Musharraf for Kargil
I learnt about Kargil from Vajpayee, says Nawaz

Though this article claims that The then PM of Pakistan had the knowledge of Army activities, it also proves that he was not in control of the situation.
Kargil planned before Vajpayee's visit: Musharraf
Musharraf Vs. Sharif: Who's Lying?
Back then the militants were not fighting Pakistan as they are now. There was a not a very serious and current threat of losing control of their country to them at that time. Now if they help them it will go mainly against themselves and not India, even they are surely not that stupid.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Back then the militants were not fighting Pakistan as they are now. There was a not a very serious and current threat of losing control of their country to them at that time. Now if they help them it will go mainly against themselves and not India, even they are surely not that stupid.
I agree with you but the fact is that they have not done much to prove us otherwise.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Gentlemen, gentlemen. Much ado over nothing....

Alarm at LoC but it's jihadis, not Taliban

8 Apr 2009, 0517 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: The Line of Control has become red-hot. There is a huge surge in infiltration attempts by well-equipped, hardcore jihadis with a new-found determination to take the fight to the security forces if they are intercepted.

While the fear, triggered by the presence of a couple of Pashto-speaking jihadis among those trying to come in, about Taliban making a foray into Kashmir was misplaced, the repeated efforts at infiltration marked the determination for a new terror offensive in J&K.

Security forces, taken aback by the sheer intensity of the attempts, say the emerging infiltration pattern this time is significantly different from earlier years on two counts.

One, the infiltration bids have begun quite early this year, much before the snow in the mountain passes has melted, with March itself recording several fierce gunbattles along the border.

For another, larger groups of 20-30 militants are trying to infiltrate together in one go, instead of earlier attempts to sneak across in much smaller batches.

That apart, the terrorists are prepared to engage the security forces at the LoC itself. "Yes, the militants are trying to infiltrate in larger numbers, armed and equipped to directly engage with security forces. Compared to March 2008, infiltration bids have trebled this March," said a source.

Scotching the speculation about Taliban trying to get in, he said, "The infiltrators are militants from Laskhar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed and Al-Badr, largely hailing from Pakistan's Punjab, PoK and North-West Frontier Province areas adjoining PoK. They are not the Taliban cadres."

There are, of course, well-established links between the militant outfits operating in J&K and the growing Taliban movement along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, with training facilities often being shared between them under the benign gaze of ISI.

"Laskhar, Hizb and Jaish have had links with Hezb-e-Islami of Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, the former Afghan warlord who is now once again emerging in the powerplay in Afghanistan. They can be expanded, especially since jihadis want India enmeshed within the Af-Pak problem," said an official.

It will, however, be difficult to replicate in J&K the typical Taliban tactic of holding ground and then consolidating the Talibanisation process of the territory under control.

Nevertheless, the ongoing infiltration spike across the LoC is sending alarm bells clanging in the Indian security establishment because of the unusual tactics being employed by the terrorists.

The pattern of winter infiltration being witnessed this time, instead of infiltration generally seen towards late-April and early-May, is being compared to similar attempts made in Macchal, Gurez and the snow-capped Shamsabari range during 1996-1998.

"The tactic of infiltration by using nullahs even when there is 8 to 12-feet of snow is being replicated this time," said an officer.

A large group of 25 or so heavily-armed militants, with GPS devices, satellite phones, high-quality winter gear and ice-axes, for instance, was intercepted in the Kupwara sector on March 20. Eighteen terrorists and eight soldiers, including an officer, were killed in the fierce five-day gunbattle which ensued.

The security forces, however, could not successfully ambush another large group of around 35 militants in the Gurez sector on March 25-26. Radio intercepts of these militants had pointed towards the existence of Taliban elements among them.

"One reason could be that the accent or diction of some militants from the NWFP areas adjoining PoK is quite similar to the Pushtu-speaking Taliban," said another officer.

The Army, on its part, has strengthened its multi-tiered counter-infiltration grid along the LoC, with intelligence reports holding that "400 to 500" militants were waiting to sneak into J&K. "There are around 800-900 militants already present in J&K, with almost 50% of them being of foreign origin," said the officer.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Alarm-at-LoC-but-its-jihadis-not-Taliban/articleshow/4371520.cms

ZOOM

Founding Member
They are different. They are Afghans, and they operate via drug money. They are far more ruthless and nihilistic than the Punjab based groups.
More importantly, they cannot be controlled by Pakistan.
Flint, I don't understand but why are you behaving like naive. No offense intended. Have you ever heard of Pakistani Taliban group runned and supported by Pakistani army? Some of their cadre does belongs to Afgan, but in the end all those are hybrids of Pakistan. Just because now we are facing pretty different terror outfits, it doesn't make any difference in their overall composition.

ZOOM

Founding Member
Their objectives aren't different, but the approach. LeT, JeM etc don't carry the banner of Islam so jealously as Taliban, the Pushtun fanatics. Yes, LeT, JeM do use Islam, but as a subtext, primary goal being 'azad' Kashmir. Also, Talibans are merciless, even to Muslim inhabitants who don't follow 'proper' path of 'true' Islam. So, this new development would very likely to escalate the violence (which is cooperatively lower than before for sometime) in the valley, not only for security people, but for civilians too.
First of get things little clarified, overall approch and objective of all terror outfits operating in Indian subcontient is only to destablize harmoney and hence no matter whatever the origin is, they will going to achieve that purpose through different labels.

"Azad Kashmi" is completely farce, those terror goons only utilize their banner only to exhibit legtimacy behind their fight and violence, since without that they won't able to get required support from Pakistan.

Suppose, even if they manage to liberate Kashmir from india, so from next day onwards do you think, all those Taliban, Let, JUD and all its cadres will going to work as a taxi drivers? Their primary goal is only to create violence and bring the foundation of Islamic world where there is no existant of democracy.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Just to add to the point, when exactly the Kashmir problem started getting voilent. Think correctly only after soviet withdraw correct. So it is really futile to think that something new is coming they are same thugs.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Sir, are those Kashmiri Mujahideens fighting inside Pakistan?

Pintu

Sir, are those Kashmiri Mujahideens fighting inside Pakistan?

Actually Payeng , the So called Kashmiri Muzahiddins are not fighting inside Pakistan, as they are patron ed by Pakistani Army, since Pak Army do not want that , if these terror groups run riot there, then Pakistan Army's control over the Tigers on which they are climbing now( I am not praising terrorists as tigers here) will be gone, and last they will be mauled by the Tigers, they had already been mauled by them , since they will not want that again, and existence of the 'Farce' called 'Azad Kashmir' will be destroyed.

Regards

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I was talking about the Taliban.
So Sir, I assume that you believe that the Pakistan sponsored Kashmiri Mujahideens are not Militants in view of Pakistani authorities. If so their support to Kashmiri mujahideens also is their support to United Jihad Council the way through which Taliban is attempting to access India.

A page on United Jihad Council

Global Defence

New threads

Articles