OSINT Images Contribution

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
@ranneel really appreciate your enthusiasm. Few of forum members including @mokoman and me keep a periodic tab on sentinel images, your contributions will be a welcome :)

I would like to learn more about SAR image from sentinel and understanding them to spot radars and ships. Please feel free to post analysis and articles!

ranneel

Country flag
@ranneel really appreciate your enthusiasm. Few of forum members including @mokoman and me keep a periodic tab on sentinel images, your contributions will be a welcome :)

I would like to learn more about SAR image from sentinel and understanding them to spot radars and ships. Please feel free to post analysis and articles!
Sure...i am using SNAP now to process the Sentinel-1 SAR images (remove speckle,calibrate,etc) and finally generate the RGB.This is well known. Do you mostly use Multi Spectral Images from S2 ?

mokoman

Country flag
Sure...i am using SNAP now to process the Sentinel-1 SAR images (remove speckle,calibrate,etc) and finally generate the RGB.This is well known. Do you mostly use Multi Spectral Images from S2 ?
@mist_consecutive which spectral bands do you use ? :troll:

i just load left and right images in landviewer and then flip them back and forth like a maniac.

:yawn: That way i can detect the changes.

for sar just use https://www.osinteditor.com/resources/guides/5ghz-interference-tracker/

you have to download the tiles for SNAP right ? , who has time/bandwidth to download 750mb

ranneel

Country flag

i just load left and right images in landviewer and then flip them back and forth like a maniac.

for sar just use https://www.osinteditor.com/resources/guides/5ghz-interference-tracker/

you have to download the tiles for SNAP right ? , who has time/bandwidth to download 750mb
I do that..not just 750 MB sometimes 8 GB (in case of SAR images) ! So, I goto Copernicus data hub of ESA portal and select an area of interest and see the latest images. For eg,lets say for the Ladhak region, i download the latest images (in the case below it is from 30th Nov) shown here

and download the MSI image and preprocess the image to remove cloud and get to 10m resolution which is the spatial resolution for Sentinel-2A.
Now, if you compare the processed image and if you are lucky you can see structures. Like in the 30th Nov image you can see structures near 34.159780, 78.176042

which you wont find in the google map image

Last edited:

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

:notsure: I never felt like such a layman for the last few years on this forum. Guess you get to learn new things every day!

mokoman

Country flag
:notsure: I never felt like such a layman for the last few years on this forum. Guess you get to learn new things every day!
I think we are all laymen here.

That new chinese road in pangong tso i noticed.Your analysis was spot on but it did'nt occur to me. :thumbsup:

Same was mentioned by twitter OSINT and indian veteran on twitter 1 month later.

:hmm: Would be more efficient if we share stuff in a private thread and have discussion about things

mokoman

Country flag
I do that..not just 750 MB sometimes 8 GB (in case of SAR images) ! So, I goto Copernicus data hub of ESA portal and select an area of interest and see the latest images. For eg,lets say for the Ladhak region, i download the latest images (in the case below it is from 30th Nov) shown here

and download the MSI image and preprocess the image to remove cloud and get to 10m resolution which is the spatial resolution for Sentinel-2A.
Now, if you compare the processed image and if you are lucky you can see structures. Like in the 30th Nov image you can see structures near 34.159780, 78.176042

which you wont find in the google map image
You can get same image on https://eos.com/landviewer in 1 min.

No need to download anything.

:hmm: the haze/cloud removal filter is really cool, did'nt know about that . o_O

IMHO Filters/tools will be needed for pangong tso once entire place is covered in snow.

Sentinetal images look full white / washed out with all the snow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Haldilal DFI OSINT Images Contribution. OSINT 8
sayareakd OSINT from Satellite images Defence & Strategy 313
DFIlite DFIlite twitter OSINT post OSINT 22
H OSINT compilation thread Knowledge Repository 54