OSINT Images Contribution

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
We could concentrate on Rakhi Nala, Pangong Tso Fingers, Demchok, South Pangong or the ?

Haldilal

Country flag
We cant afford to purchase all the sat images for the Pangong Tso lakes but can for the demchok or the Rakhi nala.

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
may I suggest, do a practice run using Google maps or Bhuvan, before investing the money.

Since the land area is fixed, point of interest is more or less known. Land marks to look should also be known before hand.

Basically make a list of things along with the dates, you are looking for as a group even before spending any money. you might be looking for a tent/road/path on X date, if you end up buying image for X-7 date, the feature might not exist at that point in time.
It could be a viable option. Then I ask @mokoman to prepare some maps where we can practice it not 3D maps but 2D maps.

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
Hacking, but i have to look at their business model to check if i can succeed, for example if they click pictures after order is placed then its not possible.
Then you can go for the ISI. Image Satellite International. They have a large library. So if succeed then you can get it . @Bhumihar Nibba @Kumata Nibba can help you.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
This is the fee from ISI.
Area in km² 1 – 20 21 – 30 31 – 40 41 – 50 51 – 60 61 – 70 71 – 80 81 – 90 90 – 100 100+
Price US$ / km² 25 23 21 19 17 15 13 12 11 10
ISI is charging 25 dollars per Sq Km for 1-20 sq km resolution. We can get 20 Sq Km image for 500 dollars.
Sorry, I don't understand, what is the resolution? If you mean a 1 km resolution, then it is too low and we won't get any detail.

@Haldilal can you rather post the links instead of the price? Your table copy-paste is kinda confusing to understand.

Ya'll Nibbiars when some idiot news channel pick it up and show as its breaking news then what. :troll: No credit to us and we will be free lunch for this vultures.
It will have a DFI watermark. And of course, we should only post them in the public domain/forum after careful scrutiny of any sensitive data involved.

You can see ongoing construction at their air base using free sat images itself.

free is 10m/pixel , updated every 6 days , most are clear but you wont see anything if there are clouds .

pretty much what IndiaToday does for their articles.

You can't obviously make out the individual air crafts or exactly what the smaller structures are . but you get idea of whats happening every week.

:hmm: even if we could buy images and had money

question is as @mist_consecutive said , where do we look ?
My personal opinion in no particular order -
  • Pangong Tso F4-F3 ridge where we have locked horns with Chinese at 5000m (small area)
  • Schrodingers' Tops :lehappy:
  • Gogra-Hotspring area, no news from there till now
  • Depsang Y-junction
  • Skardu for Chinese presence! (small area to cover)
  • Hotan, Ngari Gusa (also small area to cover)

Also, I will save some money in case some action takes place in the near future !

Haldilal

Country flag
Sorry, I don't understand, what is the resolution? If you mean a 1 km resolution, then it is too low and we won't get any detail.

@Haldilal can you rather post the links instead of the price? Your table copy-paste is kinda confusing to understand.

It will have a DFI watermark. And of course, we should only post them in the public domain/forum after careful scrutiny of any sensitive data involved.

My personal opinion in no particular order -
  • Pangong Tso F4-F3 ridge where we have locked horns with Chinese at 5000m (small area)
  • Schrodingers' Tops :lehappy:
  • Gogra-Hotspring area, no news from there till now
  • Depsang Y-junction
  • Skardu for Chinese presence! (small area to cover)
  • Hotan, Ngari Gusa (also small area to cover)

Also, I will save some money in case some action takes place in the near future !
Ya'll Nibbiars Here Nibba.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Hacking, but i have to look at their business model to check if i can succeed, for example if they click pictures after order is placed then its not possible.
Interesting! In that case, look for websites that have already clicked pictures of these areas.

I will give you an example, Nathan Ruser posted he got satellite pictures of Gurung Hill / Black Top, but did not post the original image, but rather his analysis and only a small snippet of the satellite image.

I forgot who was the provider (Maxar maybe?) but looking at his older posts you will find out 🙂

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars for 50 cm resolution its 25 to 30 dollars. For 1 Sq Km.

mokoman

Country flag
Minimum $$$ to shell out is around 26,000 rs :scared2: .

Best to wait till something happens .

Haldilal

Country flag
Minimum $$$ to shell out is around 26,000 rs :scared2: .

you guys are crazy.

Best to wait till something happens .
And you are contributing to it.

mokoman

Country flag
And you are contributing to it.
:hmm: yep its doable , if enough people contribute .

Still , for the price , nothing of value to see anyway.

Only thing that comes to mind from past is Sat images of balkot strikes .

For LAC , paying 25,000 rs to get images of red PLA tents is crazy.

best to wait ,

Haldilal

Country flag
:hmm: yep its doable , if enough people contribute .

Still , for the price , nothing of value to see anyway.

Only thing that comes to mind from past is Sat images of balkot strikes .

For LAC , paying 25,000 rs to get images of red PLA tents is crazy.

best to wait ,
Yup till then we should practice with the free available images we should create our twit account and upload and then see our skills.

ranneel

Country flag
There is another way to this too. The senitnel satellite data are free for use. There are two types of images of interest from OSINT perspective. First is the Sentinel-2 multispectral image (MSI).Second is the (synthetic aperature data) SAR data. First register with https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/sentinel-data-access.
Second goto https://scihub.copernicus.eu/ and select a place of interest on the world map and see if there are any sentinel images of recent.Usually you should get images as recent on that day or previous day.
MSI files are extremely large (750 to 1 GB) depending on the area captured.
Third download the analysis tool called SNAP. There are tutorials on how to use these products.
Something of immediate use could be the SAR images and SNAP has integerated analysis tools to identify ships etc.
Identification and ship fingerprint can be done as follows:
1. To start with an area of interest, say which ships are passing through the Malacca straits, if you have a program (like python) to collect and store all the AIS information around that area then store them in a file.
2. Using the open access hub,click on that area of Malacca strait and see if there is any MSI or SAR images which are cloud free.
3. You can match the AIS ship data with the MSI/SAR image and can identify or fingerprint ships with their say MSI images in different bands.
This way you can identify the ships (eg: warships,etc).

ranneel

Country flag
One correction above is that you will not be able to get so frequent data. It will depend on the pass of the satellite over the area.

ranneel

Country flag
Here is an example of using Sentinel-1 SAR image.

This is a SAR image from Sentinel-1 satellite from 22 Nov 2020.
There is a much higher resolution image but need to see how to upload this.
This SAR image shows the Karachi Port in the top left and C-band ground radar interference with Sentinel-1 RADAR something similar to https://medium.com/@HarelDan/x-marks-th ... 9cdb1f534b.
If you extrapolate the direction, they seem to come from the vicinity around Ahmedabad.
If anyone is interested in participation of how to analyse Sentinel-1 images (SAR or Optical 10m resolution)
let me know. For South Asia, I believe the revisit period is every 5 days so a pipeline can be created to get images of places like border areas,places of interest,etc in both optical and radar images.
So, it is possible to work with freely available sources like Sentinel-1/Sentinel-2.

Last edited:

mokoman

Country flag
Here is an example of using Sentinel-1 SAR image.

This is a SAR image from Sentinel-1 satellite from 22 Nov 2020.
There is a much higher resolution image but need to see how to upload this.
This SAR image shows the Karachi Port in the top left and C-band ground radar interference with Sentinel-1 RADAR something similar to https://medium.com/@HarelDan/x-marks-th ... 9cdb1f534b.
If you extrapolate the direction, they seem to come from the vicinity around Ahmedabad.
If anyone is interested in participation of how to analyse Sentinel-1 images (SAR or Optical 10m resolution)
let me know. For South Asia, I believe the revisit period is every 5 days so a pipeline can be created to get images of places like border areas,places of interest,etc in both optical and radar images.
So, it is possible to work with freely available sources like Sentinel-1/Sentinel-2.
We already know about sentinel images man.I think 3 or 4 members including myself check it out every now and then.

I also check interference images every now and then .

I use this link https://www.osinteditor.com/resources/guides/5ghz-interference-tracker/
it creates a composite over several dates and for both SAR satellites.
As you probably already know the point where 2 patterns cross is where the emission source is located

The interference you posted is from naval ships not from inland , could be wrong.
You can find similar patterns around japan and in SCS.its from their naval warships.

Also really no point in posting anything here.

If you find something interesting plz tag me @mokoman @Deadtrap or @mist_consecutive , here or in pak or china thread .

:yawn: other members dont care about this shit.

ranneel

Country flag
We already know about sentinel images man.I think 3 or 4 members including myself check it out every now and then.

I also check interference images every now and then .

I use this link https://www.osinteditor.com/resources/guides/5ghz-interference-tracker/
it creates a composite over several dates and for both SAR satellites.
As you probably already know the point where 2 patterns cross is where the emission source is located

The interference you posted is from naval ships not from inland , could be wrong.
You can find similar patterns around japan and in SCS.its from their naval warships.

Also really no point in posting anything here.

If you find something interesting plz tag me @mokoman @Deadtrap or @mist_consecutive , here or in pak or china thread .

:yawn: other members dont care about this shit.
Is there some forum within DFI specifically for this ?

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Any one knows about survey of india map.
Primitive to google earth but is updated more regularly .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Haldilal DFI OSINT Images Contribution. OSINT 8
sayareakd OSINT from Satellite images Defence & Strategy 313
DFIlite DFIlite twitter OSINT post OSINT 22
H OSINT compilation thread Knowledge Repository 54