One million migrants to quit UK due to eco slowdown

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
‘One million migrants to quit UK due to eco slowdown’

Updated on Thursday, August 06, 2009, 18:11 IST

London: With India and China fast emerging as growing economies attracting talent, Britain is in danger of losing out an estimated one million highly skilled migrants to these countries in the next five years, according to a study.

At least 200,000 foreign nationals will depart every year as job opportunities become more scarce, The Institute for Public Policy Research said in a report, today.

The retention of highly skilled migrants is likely to become at least as important as attracting them in the first place as the traditional countries of immigration are joined by fast growing economies like China and India," the report said.

"Those most likely to leave have a high level of skills, good education and low barriers to movement and aspire to a lifestyle as global citizens," the report said.

"International competition for highly skilled migrants is intensifying and it makes no sense for the UK to succeed in attracting such migrants only to lose them quickly because of re-migration," the report said.

While the number of foreigners leaving will still be smaller than the number arriving, the rise in "re-migration" could slow the growth in the British population, the study said.

Researchers have estimated that departures will run to at least 200,000 a year for the three years from 2008. After that, they forecast 150,000 a year for at least five years. That would mean that between 2008 and 2013, more than 900,000 migrants will leave, the study said.

New figures show that more than 3 million people who migrated to Britain in the last 30 years have subsequently left.

Tim Finch, head of migration of IPPR said: "Our research shows that many groups of migrants are now increasingly mobile.

"They are coming to the UK to study and work for short periods, then they are moving on."

He said, "As global competition for highly skilled migrants increases in future years, schemes to retain migrants may become as important as attracting them in the first place."

The IPPR suggested that the current points-based immigration system could be in conflict with the objective of retaining skilled migrants and said that tax breaks and simplified visa extensions could encourage them to stay.

Polish and other Eastern European workers are among the most mobile migrants.

Phil Woolas, the Immigration Minister, said, "This report further demonstrates that migrants come to the UK for a short period of time, work, contribute to the economy and then return home."

Bureau Report

?One million migrants to quit UK due to eco slowdown?

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
me too.....Mr woolas

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I will also head back home to Punjab due to economic meltdown in USA. My farm land has value of 70 lakhs per acre. Property value is shooting at the skies now. I will not work for the rest my life again.

Tamil

Country flag
come on INDIANS AND COME HERE FOR DEVELOP OUR NATION.

:india:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles