One dead, several hurt as Festive bikers go berserk in New delhi

Manas7

One dead, several hurt as bikers go berserk - Times Of India

One dead, several hurt as bikers go berserk
Jun 26, 2013, 02.33AM IST TNN

NEW DELHI: There was chaos on city streets late Monday night as around 2,000 bikers in festive mood zipped dangerously through traffic and showed off stunts, resulting in the death of one rider and injuries to several others, including two policemen who were targeted with stones.

Traffic came to a halt at several places as hundreds of commuters returning home late were caught in a frenzy with the bikers pulling wheelies, weaving in and out of lanes and even stopping cars. Some reportedly jumped on bonnets of cars and banged on the windows.

The 'wild' celebrations again exposed the poor preparedness of police who had reason to expect chaos because of Shab-e-Barat festivities, which on previous years has seen dangerous driving late at night.

The worst hit areas were India Gate, Connaught Place, ITO crossing, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, Delhi Gate, Pragati Maidan and Sunder Nagar. The mayhem spilled over to the BRT around Oberoi flyover as the cops tightened vigil at India Gate and ITO areas.

Police said a biker lost his life when he, along with two other bikes, jumped a red light and collided with a car coming from the opposite direction. Two policemen sustained injuries in stone pelting by a mob while several bikers hurt themselves while performing stunts on roads, cops said.

Police claimed they took strict action and detained 11 men, seized 90 bikes and registered two criminal cases at Tilak Marg and Mandir Marg police stations under sections of rioting, causing hurt to a public servant and obstructing a public servant.

Some of the seized bikes are suspected to be stolen, police said. Four men were arrested and others detained under the Delhi Police Act. The traffic police said 234 challans were issued through the night - 93 of them in the southern range, 97 in central , 28 in western, 13 eastern and three in the northern range. All challans pertained to dangerous driving, triple riding and driving without helmet.

Cops said 40 pickets had been set up and around 100 traffic personnel were posted there along with local police and PCR.

On Monday, police had said they had made adequate arrangements by distributing pamphlets in colonies asking youths to refrain from such activities and roped in elderly people through community policing so that the youths are convinced. However, the efforts clearly went in vein.

The tone for the night set in around 9pm when bikers began to assemble in different areas. The situation remained under control in the first two hours due to the heavy police presence. However, all hell broke lose after midnight when police presence decreased. People could see three or even four men riding on one bike.

Commuters returning home late at night had harrowing stories to tell. Utkarsh Anand, an engineering student, was travelling back with his mother after having dinner at Connaught Place. "I started at 11.30pm in my car and reached home at 1.15am and thanked my stars. I was scared and my mother began to cry seeing the mob go crazy. When I signalled two bikers to move from the way, they began to bang on my window panes. There were policemen on the side of the road who were doing just nothing," he said.

Many women TOI spoke to said they had the worse time of their lives reaching home. Many women driving alone could be seen in tears. Families were shocked after the mob stopped autos and even began to do summersaults on their car's bonnets.

With bikers weaving through lanes, motorists had to brake often. Many cars had minor collisions. "Why were the police so helpless?" asked Rekha, a housewife who was returning home with her husband after watching a movie at Connaught Place.

Even commuters coming from other parts of the city were caught in the frenzy as they crossed India Gate, which had been virtually turned into a fortress.

The bikers went on the rampage after police began to seize their vehicles and detain them around midnight.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Oh I was just thinking to post a thread as this was coming on all news channels yesterday and the riots hooliganism it caused on roads of Delhi and Mumbai.

This happened in the Muslim festival Shabe-e-barat. In Arabic it's ---> Lailat al-Baraa (Arabic: ليلة البراءة"Ž, Night of Innocence).In short on this festival Muslims pray and ask Allah for forgiving their sins and setting them free and hence also known as "Night of freedom".

They PROVED that it's a night of freedom(hooliganism/riots) and do sins and after that ask for forgiveness. :tsk:

Religion of peace afterall :namaste:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
But why the thread title is changed..

Very poor of OP.
Do you expect the CCP version "ethnicity was not mentioned"?

Or perhaps "Some random guys rioted after going in a random freedom festival"? :hmm:

Manas7

But why the thread title is changed..

Very poor of OP.
Bit of clarity always the reader unless he is pseudo secular when especially done by a community for celebrating it religious festival.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Bit of clarity always the reader unless he is pseudo secular when especially done by a community for celebrating it religious festival.
This happened before as well and due to no strict action taken this trend continues year after year. :tsk:

Snuggy321

The fact that the OP changed the title brings him on the same mental level like those of those brainless bikers....

Sabir

DFI TEAM
It is not hard to note the number of the vehicles; rounding up the thugs and ensure that the spend every festivals in police station....

Initially I thought the OP changed the title to make a cheap score but after reading the article I didnt find any objection to it. If it was a random guy, we could have objected bringing in religion in it. But it was a group of 2000 and they got the audacity from the strength of the pack. A large section of Muslim youths has totally become visionless and become a danger to the society. If strongs action is not taken it will harm not only the law and order but the Muslim themselves as such things create hatred among others.

Sometimes I think idiot mullahs are less dangerous than this young guys; atleast the refrain from the things they consider haraam. But, this thugs put on a cap, attend Mosque, shout "Islam Khatreme hai.." but dont hasitate to get drunk or doing crimes which the religion prohibits...

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It is not hard to note the number of the vehicles; rounding up the thugs and ensure that the spend every festivals in police station....

Initially I thought the OP changed the title to make a cheap score but after reading the article I didnt find any objection to it. If it was a random guy, we could have objected bringing in religion in it. But it was a group of 2000 and they got the audacity from the strength of the pack. A large section of Muslim youths has totally become visionless and become a danger to the society. If strongs action is not taken it will harm not only the law and order but the Muslim themselves as such things create hatred among others.

Sometimes I think idiot mullahs are less dangerous than this young guys; atleast the refrain from the things they consider haraam. But, this thugs put on a cap, attend Mosque, shout "Islam Khatreme hai.." but dont hasitate to get drunk or doing crimes which the religion prohibits...
Because of these repeated riots/hooliganism year after year their holy festival Shab-e-Barat would be termed as "Night of Muslim Hooliganism". :tsk:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I will get a lot of flak for it, but I will give my 2 secular liberal cents..

This behavior is due to lack of civic sense arising from lack of good education arising out of 60yrs of muslim suppression by govt. Govt needs muslims to stay poor and uneducated to keep it's votebank intact and ever expanding.

So is it Islam propagated hooliganism or hooliganism propagated congress votebank policies?

All across the slums of India, where lack of education and economic prosperity are most evident, one finds hooliganism in all festivals, irrespective of religion.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
What kind of celebration is this ? They are showing middle finger to the law and administration , and police is helpless. Great Delhi police ! Can beat innocents with Swami Ramdev but cant deal with these idiots :desert:

ladder

Country flag
Don't have to blow it out of proportion, it's just law and order situation.

Members based out of Delhi/Mumbai can tell whether such phenomena exists in their cities as well or not.
If the answer is negative then it's just law and order problem.

It's just that police is getting over tolerant towards these bikers gangs.
Start giving tickets and they will fall in line.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles