One dead, several hurt as Festive bikers go berserk in New delhi

Coalmine

Country flag
Goons running amok or budding Islamists flexing muscle?

By Jay Bhattacharjee on June 27, 2013

This article is not intended to be either alarmist or provocative. It is the simple truth, however uncomfortable it may be to those who prefer to be couch potatoes in the purported safety of their cocoons. Because what happened on the night of the June 25 – 26 in the heart of our country's administrative epicentre is clearly an indication of where we are headed if we do not take portents seriously.

On the night of June 25, my wife and I were driving back to our home in South Delhi. To give some relevant details, we took Sri Aurobindo Marg, the road that leads from the Medical Institute (AIIMS) to the IIT crossing and beyond. From the very beginning of the stretch, we noticed very dangerous things happening. Scores of motor cycles, invariably with more than two passengers on each, were racing down the road at very high speeds, forcing aside other traffic. Their contempt for pedestrians (admittedly few at that hour) was blatant. The bikers were all young men (certainly not elderly) and all of them sported traditional Muslim headgear, the white skullcap. They were performing dangerous stunts, including the usual "rear-wheel drive" they must have seen from C-Grade Hollywood films featuring Hell's Angels and assorted gangs.

We really did not know what was going on, except that it was most unsavoury and unpleasant. Then we saw a number of police pickets along the stretch; all of them were inactive and generally having a yawn. The motorcycle goons did not attack us overtly but they were certainly threatening and making intimidating gestures while riding alongside. I rolled down my window and told the offending ones that I would run them down if they continued their threats. This may have had some effect, since they drove off to bully other cars. Our experience was certainly less frightening than other incidents reported in Wednesday's papers. Around the India Gate area, there were people who complained that the thugs had jumped on their car bonnets and monkeyed around.

To return to our experience, the mystery was resolved when we came to the Green Park Masjid. The bikers were heading to the masjid which was already crowded, with people spilling on to the street. Here too, the police pickets were doing nothing to control their criminal behaviour. Delhi's Finest, who had no hesitation beating up sleeping women and children mercilessly at the Ramdev rally last year, were lolling around and watching the open goondaism with complete disinterest.

Orders from above, or complicity, or sloth or a combination of all three? In any of these four scenarios, the signs are ominous – of clear and present danger for our country and ancient civilisation. I have no hesitation in postulating the thesis that militant Islamic forces are testing the mettle and resolve of the Indian Republic, every now and then, with carefully-strategised acts of provocation. And on each occasion, they have succeeded in showing up our civilian administrative apparatus in its true colours – a floundering vessel manned by hopelessly incompetent and weak flunkeys.

In January 2011, extremist Islamic forces had taken the Mickey out of the Indian state. Again, the confrontation took place in the heart of the nation's capital and the Indian republic retreated ignominiously. To give a background for the readers – the Delhi High Court had ordered that the authorities (in this case, the DDA) were permitted to demolish a mosque illegally constructed on public land. The High Court order was passed after many years of deliberation and hearings. However, this was not good enough for an assorted bunch of mullahs and politicians from parties like the Congress and the Samajwadi Party. Two days of open battle followed between inflamed and fanatic Muslim mobs, and a palpably defensive security apparatus, clearly under instructions from high above, not to react. A friend who stays near the affected area told me then that it was a "semi-war" situation, Calcutta 1946 redux. I had referred to it as the beginning of the campaign for the resurrection of the Great Delhi Caliphate.

Similarly, a few months ago, lakhs of Muslims in Kolkata held a most inflammatory meeting in the heart of the city, the Maidan, to protest against (and now hold your breath) the war crimes trials in Bangladesh against the razakars and pro-Pakistani militia that aided and abetted the Pakistani Army's genocide of Bengalis during the 1971 liberation war. In other words, Indian Muslims and their ideological masters were rooting for persons who had fought the Indian armed forces, not to mention their fellow Bengalis.

The Calcutta "protesters" were brought in buses from all parts of West Bengal and shouted the most virulent Islamist slogans. Their banners were no less incendiary. Naturally, the Mamata Banerjee Government did nothing to either control the patently illegal gathering or to ask the Muslim leadership in West Bengal to dilute its posture. A young Army officer posted in Fort William, across the Maidan, told me that he, his brother officers, and the jawans were extremely upset by the disgusting spectacle played out before their eyes.

In this entire dismal litany, we are, of course, looking only at the most egregious incidents that have somehow caught public attention. This includes the desecration of the war memorial in Mumbai last year by another murderous Muslim mob protesting against another imaginary grievance. The culprits who committed this most heinous offence were caught on camera but one does not know how the Indian state and its justice system have dealt with them.

There are many who will pretend that all is hunky dory. That the goons on Tuesday night were a bunch of misguided youngsters. Or that this was an isolated incident perpetrated by irresponsible Muslim elements. I can almost hear the secularist storm troopers coming out with drivel like this. However, if the rest of the country's educated and informed citizens subscribe to these fantasies, it would mean living in self-denial and delusion.

The official leadership of Indian Islam is now in a state of open confrontation with the Indian state. These people have given up all pretensions of being Indian and the only identity they can and will espouse is that of Islam. The alliance of forces in this abysmal and appalling scenario is disturbing and dangerous. Whenever the mullahs challenged the Indian republic and got away clean with their insurrection, they were instigated, aided and abetted by the Congress and other motley groups.

As the open season of Islamo-fascism against India continues, it is time to remember one of the greatest thinkers of the last century:
Goons running amok or budding Islamists flexing muscle? | Niti Central

Manas7

There are many who will pretend that all is hunky dory. That the goons on Tuesday night were a bunch of misguided youngsters. Or that this was an isolated incident perpetrated by irresponsible Muslim elements. I can almost hear the secularist storm troopers coming out with drivel like this. However, if the rest of the country's educated and informed citizens subscribe to these fantasies, it would mean living in self-denial and delusion.
Gosh, there is no dearth of above kind right in this forum pandering to the lowest common denominator of indian muslim and secularism.

TrueSpirit

Gosh, there is no dearth of above kind right in this forum pandering to the lowest common denominator of indian muslim and secularism.
Indian state & its sickularist uber-elite have already capitulated against Muslim hooliganism & rioting for obvious reasons. Even well-informed citizens consider this to be normal. Police not acting is normal. High Court's order not being followed is normal. Blatant desecration of national symbols is normal. Threatening common populace & getting away is normal. Doing nothing about anything is normal. Well done, Indians.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh I was just thinking to post a thread as this was coming on all news channels yesterday and the riots hooliganism it caused on roads of Delhi and Mumbai.

This happened in the Muslim festival Shabe-e-barat. In Arabic it's ---> Lailat al-Baraa (Arabic: ليلة البراءة"Ž, Night of Innocence).In short on this festival Muslims pray and ask Allah for forgiving their sins and setting them free and hence also known as "Night of freedom".

They PROVED that it's a night of freedom(hooliganism/riots) and do sins and after that ask for forgiveness. :tsk:

Religion of peace afterall :namaste:
This is a festival of Barelvis, Shias and Sufis. Salafis/Deobandis/Wahabbis don't come out on the streets. (afaik)

Youth go beserk during religious festivals, during political rallies, major sporting events and even during concerts. We have seen this.

So this is not a Muslim only problem like you are trying to paint. One member gave example of Sikh youth.

In fact the Muslim "celebrations" were very tame imho.

It is facetious to browbeat Muslims, as though rest of NCRs youth are rolemodels.

Police know this can happen and should've made apt arrangements. Although, Shab-e-Baraat has been happening for centuries, this is the first time Media has given it so much coverage.

TrueSpirit

This is a festival of Barelvis, Shias and Sufis. Salafis/Deobandis/Wahabbis don't come out on the streets. (afaik)

Youth go beserk during religious festivals, during political rallies, major sporting events and even during concerts. We have seen this.

So this is not a Muslim only problem like you are trying to paint. One member gave example of Sikh youth.

In fact the Muslim "celebrations" were very tame imho.

It is facetious to browbeat Muslims, as though rest of NCRs youth are rolemodels.

Police know this can happen and should've made apt arrangements. Although, Shab-e-Baraat has been happening for centuries, this is the first time Media has given it so much coverage.
Do the rest of NCR youth also jump on people's cars & threaten families/women during their festivities ?

When was the last time you heard a Sikh doing the above ? Or a Hindu, or anyone else ?

What is wrong in media giving coverage to an act of violence & rioting ? Is it blasphemy doing so because it was the hallowed Shab-e-Baraat ?

It becomes media-sensationalism when common folks narrate their individual accounts- what they have been through ?

Did you see any police laxity when it comes to beating the hell out of sleeping women & old men Ramlila Maidan ? Of course, these people were at fault because they were not rioting like these hooligans.

Does not matter who came out & who came in. Common men on the street know who these people were & how things have to such a pass throughout India.

Browbeat Muslims....? Are you serious ? The ones who are rioting all over, at the drop of a hat (for flimsy excuses like plight of Rohnigya Muslims, etc.) are being browbeaten ?

Sir, I have lived in Delhi, like you have. In Rajouri Garden. And many others on DFI are residents of Delhi. Things are not the way you are trying to paint them to be. Basically, what has happened is not common & no other community has set such a precedent before. Not Jats, not Gurjars, not Sikhs, absolutely no one. Hence, people are horrified. Justifiably. Brushing their concerns under carpet is denial-ism & holier-than-thou attitude at best.

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

Why specifically mention "muslim" in the title? There are people like that in every community.

yes, (hint - Subhash nagar, hari nagar, etc.)
Lived in Rajouri Garden for half of my life. Displaying stunts in CP-ITO-Cabinet Secratariat areas on Sundays is one thing, but this this incident is not an everday phenomena. Never witnessed such blatant hooliganism against innocent commuters/women/families in blatant disregard of law & in full view of the police. In your quest to be politically correct & come across as a high-brow elite, please do not try to accuse all & sundry in Delhi when there is no evidence to support your claim

Decklander

why single out muslim youth? I have seen this happen everyday in the early morning hours and also in the night by nearly youths of every religion. This has nothing to do with religion but age.
Infact as a youth, I myself have indulged in such activities.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@TrueSpirit @Maharana

You guys are cherry-picking incidents. From my own experience, youths of all religious backgrounds indulge in such activities. You need only goto DU to see what happens when two political rivals have a go at each other. Does anyone remember what happened after the WC ?

I have also been stuck in Shab-e-Baraat "traffic" jam at 1-2am in the past; I parked my car on the side, walked a bit to matka pir dargah and enjoyed biryani with friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Do the rest of NCR youth also jump on people's cars & threaten families/women during their festivities ?

When was the last time you heard a Sikh doing the above ? Or a Hindu, or anyone else ?

What is wrong in media giving coverage to an act of violence & rioting ? Is it blasphemy doing so because it was the hallowed Shab-e-Baraat ?

It becomes media-sensationalism when common folks narrate their individual accounts- what they have been through ?

Did you see any police laxity when it comes to beating the hell out of sleeping women & old men Ramlila Maidan ? Of course, these people were at fault because they were not rioting like these hooligans.

Does not matter who came out & who came in. Common men on the street know who these people were & how things have to such a pass throughout India.

Browbeat Muslims....? Are you serious ? The ones who are rioting all over, at the drop of a hat (for flimsy excuses like plight of Rohnigya Muslims, etc.) are being browbeaten ?

Sir, I have lived in Delhi, like you have. In Rajouri Garden. And many others on DFI are residents of Delhi. Things are not the way you are trying to paint them to be. Basically, what has happened is not common & no other community has set such a precedent before. Not Jats, not Gurjars, not Sikhs, absolutely no one. Hence, people are horrified. Justifiably. Brushing their concerns under carpet is denial-ism & holier-than-thou attitude at best.
This is easily overlooked in this case and blame put on even mentioning the "religion" which often looks for excuses for hooliganism and law-breaking.Sikhs do stunts and that also on 200 kg bullets but again they are no way near harming anyone.

In this Shab-e-barat the berserk Muslim "Devotees" did the following :-

• Loot people including a petrol pump
  • Molesting
  • Threatening lives of hundreds.
  • Stone pelting
  • Injured a policemen,breaking his leg by rolling bike.
  • Set fire on vehicles

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
@TrueSpirit @Maharana

You guys are cherry-picking incidents. From my own experience, youths of all religious backgrounds indulge in such activities. You need only goto DU to see what happens when two political rivals have a go at each other. Does anyone remember what happened after the WC ?

I have also been stuck in Shab-e-Baraat "traffic" jam at 1-2am in the past; I parked my car on the side, walked a bit to matka pir dargah and enjoyed biryani with friends.
WOW and you were with male friends, right? :dude:

Did you read the article carefully how they threatened women and children?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
WOW and you were with male friends, right? :dude:

Did you read the article carefully how they threatened women and children?
Have you ever witnessed Shab-e-Baraat spectacle ?

Thousands of men (perhaps over a 150,000) dressed in all white walk/bike congregate around India Gate area (from Daryaganj etc). There is no sense of traffic, as all roads towards the religious places (dargahs)

Its the fault of the cops who decreased their police presence and/or didn't warn people to avoid these roads.

Its a festival and time for revelry. I don't blame those youths for being youths.

Manas7

Have you ever witnessed Shab-e-Baraat spectacle ?

Thousands of men (perhaps over a 150,000) dressed in all white walk/bike congregate around India Gate area (from Daryaganj etc). There is no sense of traffic, as all roads towards the religious places (dargahs)

Its the fault of the cops who decreased their police presence and/or didn't warn people to avoid these roads.

Its a festival and time for revelry. I don't blame those youths for being youths.

Not everyone enjoys youths going too youthful on the family members or if dent private vehicles in celebration of festivities.

TrueSpirit

why single out muslim youth? I have seen this happen everyday in the early morning hours and also in the night by nearly youths of every religion. This has nothing to do with religion but age.
Infact as a youth, I myself have indulged in such activities.
Sir, did you ever indulge in any of these: Looting people, molesting, threatening families & women-folk, Stone pelting, Injuring policemen, breaking his leg by rolling bike & setting fire on vehicles ?

@Singh: Do you know of any such precedent (on above lines) ? Second, do you really think rioting is okay ? Can it be condoned because the rioters were young & restless, unlike the not-so-adventurous & insipid "youth of other country" ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir, did you ever indulge in any of these: Looting people, molesting, threatening families & women-folk, Stone pelting, Injuring policemen, breaking his leg by rolling bike & setting fire on vehicles ?
@Singh: Do you know of any such precedent (on above lines) ? Second, do you really think rioting is okay ? Can it be condoned because the rioters were young & restless, unlike the not-so-adventurous & insipid "youth of other country" ?
If the Police don't provide adequate measures, then rioting is expected.
Funny thing is, Shab-e-Baraat is not a new festival like Kavar but has been happening for centuries.
This is the first time media has covered it
The cops know what to expect, and they did a shoddy job.

Its like the shoddy arrangement made by cops after India won the World Cup. There were rioting all over. And such rioting during major events is not unexpected and happens all over the world.

Police know which route the Shab-e-Baraat revelers take, and should've cordoned it off.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Not everyone enjoys youths going too youthful on the family members or if dent private vehicles in celebration of festivities.
Then cordon off that area.

Daryaganj-IndiaGate-Pragati Maidan on Shab-e-Baraat night from 11Pm to 4am.

Atleast they are not carrying out any procession during the day which throws the entire city out of gear.

natarajan

Usually bikers on new years are stopped and firm action is taken,here issue is police is not taking action because of religion association,why cant it take action.If the same bike race was conducted as a protest against corruption then conki would have thrashed them.But never heard 2000 bikes racing and creating trouble.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There is two dimensions in the problem-

1) The trend to disobey law and orders when you are strong in number.....Political rallies, religious proceession, unions etc are some examples. In Kolkata if there is a East Bengal-Mohunbagan match police generally dont touch the supporters who go to field in large numbers....they dont bother red light or toll-tax. Other two worrisome things are processions in Kalipuja and Muharam as many of them are in drunken condition. Generally Police dont get involved directly even if they break laws..because it may lead to more chaos. In the incident mentioned in the thread probably police thought it better to let them pass and take action later. It was ot difficult to note number of bikes or record their deeds in camera and pick them one by one next day.

2) It is sad thing to see the condition of these Muslim youths- everyone of them consider Salman Khan their role model. No vision for life. Totally rotten part of the society. What is more painful is the hypocracy- going to religous gathering and doing such things.

ladder

Country flag
Mob doesn't have a face.
It's volatile and very reactive.
It's in every police officer's training manual how to counter the mob syndrome.

So, let's take a hypothetical scenario that, police has cordoned off the route and it's only the bikers in the road.
Do you think it's the solution? Absence of victims will make them move away peacefully?
Or in the euphoria public property will be targeted?
Each unwanted activity is only a event for a mob whose purpose is to make their presence registered.

So, atleast property will be damaged if no action is taken.
As members have suggested do cordon of the route to avoid inconvenience to general public
But do take action on them.

"raat gayi baath gayi" would not help.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles