Omar Abdullah Resigns

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Omar submits resignation to Governor

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday submitted his resignation to Governor N N Vohra.

Omar Abdullah announced his decision to resign, following allegation of his involvement in the infamous sex scandal case hurled at him on the floor of the in-session state assembly by the opposition legislator and former deputy chief minister, Muzaffar Hussain Beigh.

"I cannot continue in this situation, and I will tender my resignation to the state governor till my name is cleared of the allegations levelled against me," a highly emotional Omar Abdullah announced in the midst of uproarious scenes in the state assembly triggered by Beigh's allegations.

The infamous sex scandal rocked the state in 2006, taking a toll of two ministers besides several top civil and security officials.

Beigh, a senior leader of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party stood up after the question hour and displayed a list of people allegedly involved in the scandal and said that 'the name of the chief minister figured at serial number 102.'

The statement of Beigh triggered pandemonium in the state assembly with the ruling National Conference party members rushing towards the CM, trying to pacify him and urging him to retract his announcement to resign.

Members were heard asking him 'not to fall into the trap of the opposition PDP who want his exit.'

The chief minister, however, left the assembly hall as journalists covering the proceedings rushed towards the Raj Bhavan.

"This is not an ordinary allegation of theft or dacoity, but a much more serious and sensitive allegation, and I have no right to occupy my office without being cleared of the allegations," Omar said in the state assembly.

The state assembly session began Monday on an explosive note with the PDP members led by their president, Mehbooba Mufti causing a ruckus leading to physical eviction of PDP members from the house.

Mehbooba had even resorted to dislodging the speakers mike from his table, after which she also was evicted from the house.

The chief minister drove to his uptown Gupkar residence, after leaving the assembly complex under heavy security.

Before proceeding to Raj Bhawan to submit his resignation, CM Omar Abdullah held a closed-door session with his father and Union minister Farooq Abdullah, at his Gupkar residence.
Omar submits resignation to Governor: Rediff.com news

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
cbi later confirmed that omar abdullah's name was not present in the probe regarding the 2006 sex scandal as alleged
he was snabbed by the dirty opposition game!!!!

tharikiran

Country flag
Omar Abdullah resigns over sex scandal allegations - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday submitted his resignation to Governor N N Vohra after allegations against him by the

A TV grab shows Omar Abdullah speaking in the J&K assembly after being accused of involvement in a sex scandal. (PTI Photo)
More Pictures
Related videos

More Videos »
opposition PDP. The governor has accepted Omar’s resignation. ( Watch )

During the J&K assembly session today, PDP leader and former deputy chief minister Muzaffar Beig linked the J&K chief minister to the infamous sex scandal that had rocked Srinagar in 2006.

He was accompanied to the governor’s residence by his father Farooq Abdullah.

In an emotional outburst in the assembly, Omar Abdullah said," I can't bear this kind of humiliation. I am innocent until proven guilty."

Omar's name figures at 102 on the list of offenders involved in the sex scandal, the opposition alleged. His name is being probed by the CBI, it claimed. "I have to say with regret, there is the name of Omar Abdullah, son of Farooq Abdullah, in the list. He has lost the moral authority to rule the state. He must resign," Muzaffar Beig said, PTI reported.

To which the J&K CM said, "I am going to submit by resignation to Governor N N Vohra. I know it is a false allegation. But I want to resign till I am cleared of this false allegation. I cannot work till I am proved innocent. It is a blot on my character.

There was huge uproar in the assembly during Omar's statement. The MLAs and ministers physically restrained him from going out telling him not to resign and that the party would not accept it. He was virtually forced to take his seat by the ruffled members but he got up to shout at them saying "allow me to take this first step."

Abdullah, who came to power in January this year at the head of a National Conference-Congress coalition, was virtually forced to take his seat by the ruffled members but he got up to shout at them saying "allow me to take this first step"".

A huge sex scandal hit the Valley in 2006. According to reports, girls, including minors, were coerced into prostitution, blackmailed and supplied to top police officials, bureaucrats, politicians, ministers and surrendered militants. The state had witnessed angry protests over the issue.

tharikiran

Country flag
The Hindu News Update Service

New Delhi (PTI): In a word of advice to Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, state Congress chief Saifuddin Soz on Tuesday said the National Conference leader should "not get emotional" over the allegation against him.

"Mr Abdullah should not get emotional and press forhis resignation. It is an accusation made by the PDP. He (Abdullah) has not been found guilty by a judge," Mr Soz told reporters outside Parliament house.

Mr Soz was reacting to accusations by PDP that the Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister was involved in the infamous 'Srinagar sex scandal'.

tharikiran

Country flag
I have to say, I am glad to hear about politics from kashmir rather militants killing people.

Way to go.... Good for Kashmiri people. The more people get involved, the better.

I see the chaos as a positive sign.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
yes but that lady Mehaboooooba mufti should be taught some freeking manners

tharikiran

Country flag
you are right and Omar Abdullah shouldn't always react emotionally to all the accusations made by opposition. Tomorrow, they will accuse him of something else.

It will be difficult for people like him to do any good work then.
He better buckle up.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh, don't think he is an emotional person. He has scored good brownie points here. Mehbooba will be on the back foot.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
for some odd reson i sooooooooooooo hate mehaboba

tharikiran

Country flag
Oh, don't think he is an emotional person. He has scored good brownie points here. Mehbooba will be on the back foot.
Yes, you are right . He has scored brownie points. Any info on when the CBI results will come out or court rulings will come out ?
CBI has given a clean chit it seems

tharikiran

Country flag
High drama in J-K: CM's resignation rejected

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday resigned from the post after a senior Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader alleged that he was involved in the Srinagar sex scandal.

However, Governor NN Vohra refused to accept the resignation and asked Omar to stay on till the probe on the matter is over.

In his resignation letter, Omar had asked Vohra to initiate an enquiry into the allegations levelled against him within a specified time frame.

"I would be grateful if in a time bound manner you can enquire into the allegations levelled against me at the the earliest," Omar's political advisor Davender Rana quoted the Chief Minister as saying.

Omar had submitted a conditional resignation letter to the Governor and CNN-IBN has exclusive details of the letter that the J-K Chief Minister had sent to Governor Vohra.

contd.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It was expected that the governor would reject the resignation. All political drama. Omar gets sympathy and political points. PDP goes further down.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles